The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: entrapment or good police work?

Banned

whatever happened to these guys in similar cases?

http://abcnews.go.com/US/fbi-arrests...ory?id=8666300

This was a nice job by the FBI. Congrats.

Banned

"The FBI apparently gave him ample chances to back out so it wasn’t entrapment. Mohamed Osman Mohamud is 19 and will probably spend the rest of his life in prison. Planning violent jihad with someone you met on the net is right up there with middle-aged men thinking it really is a 14 yo girl in that chat room. Dumb. But dumb people are also capable of extreme violence.

The FBI operatives cautioned Mohamud several times about the seriousness of his plan, noting that there would be many people, including children, at the event, and that Mohamud could abandon his plans at any time with no shame.

The FBI did this one right."

The part that bugs me is that:
    "On Nov. 4, Mohamud and the FBI operatives traveled to a remote spot in Lincoln County, where they detonated a bomb concealed in a backpack as a trial run for the upcoming attack."

OK, here we DO have live explosives in the guy's immediate location, albeit with the "operative". What if somehow this had gone awry and the guy had ended up with a live bomb or it had gone off en route? Yes I realize that to get the most effect, they had to get him "in the act" of actually trying to kill people, but stuff does happen.

We got the embassy bombing suspect on 20 to life on a conspiracy to damage US property charge and the Admin is crowing about that "success". So was it really necessary to let this go as far as it did?
    "It's not that government is inherently stupid, although that's a debatable question."
    Rand Paul CPAC speech 2011

I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it. Thomas Jefferson to Archibald Stuart, 1791

Nice case of Public Relations.

You busted a 19 year old that you led down the path.

Probably the highest level of terrorist activity they can handle.

I am sure there are no more serious activities going on.

Much ado about nothing.
    Without the aid of the FBI, the kid had nothing.

RK
    Stan b & Elvis

Quote Originally Posted by BrianW View Post
    The part that bugs me is that:
    "On Nov. 4, Mohamud and the FBI operatives traveled to a remote spot in Lincoln County, where they detonated a bomb concealed in a backpack as a trial run for the upcoming attack."

OK, here we DO have live explosives in the guy's immediate location, albeit with the "operative". What if somehow this had gone awry and the guy had ended up with a live bomb or it had gone off en route? Yes I realize that to get the most effect, they had to get him "in the act" of actually trying to kill people, but stuff does happen.

We got the embassy bombing suspect on 20 to life on a conspiracy to damage US property charge and the Admin is crowing about that "success". So was it really necessary to let this go as far as it did?
    Grounds for dismissal.

We should charge the FBI with endangering a suspect, give the FBI agents life in prison and let the terrorist go. Head of the FBI should be made to stand before the nation and apologize for endangering a victim (suspect). There should be a complete reevaluation of the way the FBI runs their house.
    subroc

Article [I.]
    Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.
    Article [II.]
    A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by luvmylabs23139 View Post
    NO, the crime would be stopped but if you look at history in the end the offender would get off. I'd rather a crime be thown out of court but foiled than actually happen and get a conviction. The question was whether or not it would be considered entrapment. Most likely it was, but at least it never happened.
    No different than undercover police working drug busts.Would you call undercover police buying drugs and arresting the sellers entrapment or good police work?

Quote Originally Posted by Roger Perry View Post
    No different than undercover police working drug busts.Would you call undercover police buying drugs and arresting the sellers entrapment or good police work?
    I've always been confused as to how they actually get away with that to be honest. I'm glad it happens and it is good police work but how is it not considered entrapment?

Quote Originally Posted by Cody Covey View Post
    I've always been confused as to how they actually get away with that to be honest. I'm glad it happens and it is good police work but how is it not considered entrapment?
    'cause the kid WANTED to do it!!
    "So what is big is not always the Trout nor the Deer but the chance, the being there. And what is full is not necessarily the creel nor the freezer, but the memory." ~ Aldo Leopold

"The Greatest Obstacle to Discovery is not Ignorance -- It is the Illusion of Knowledge" ~ Daniel Boorstin

So its only entrapment if the person if forced to do it by the cops?