The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How Iran's Nuke Program Got Whacked

Default How Iran's Nuke Program Got Whacked

A fascinating article explaining how a nasty computer virus set Iran's nuke ambitions back for hopefully a long time: http://www.foxnews.com/scitech/2010/...ear-ambitions/

excerpts:
    The construction of the worm was so advanced, it was “like the arrival of an F-35 into a World War I battlefield,” says Ralph Langner, the computer expert who was the first to sound the alarm about Stuxnet. Others have called it the first “weaponized” computer virus.
    --Masking itself from the plant's security and other systems, the worm then ordered the centrifuges to rotate extremely fast, and then to slow down precipitously. This damaged the converter, the centrifuges and the bearings, and it corrupted the uranium in the tubes. It also left Iranian nuclear engineers wondering what was wrong, as computer checks showed no malfunctions in the operating system.

Estimates are that this went on for more than a year, leaving the Iranian program in chaos. And as it did, the worm grew and adapted throughout the system. As new worms entered the system, they would meet and adapt and become increasingly sophisticated.

I'll take the river down to still water and ride a pack of dogs.

I wonder if the internet security czar and DHS had anything to do with this?
    God Bless PFC Jamie Harkness. The US Army's newest PFC, but still our neighbor's little girl!

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Hew View Post
    A fascinating article explaining how a nasty computer virus set Iran's nuke ambitions back for hopefully a long time: http://www.foxnews.com/scitech/2010/...ear-ambitions/

excerpts:
    Interesting story. Can anyone say ............... Israel

It appears that worms are good for more than just fishing!
    It's such a shame that in the USA, defending Liberty has become such a heroic deed.

President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad admitted Monday that "several" uranium enrichment centrifuges were damaged by "software installed in electronic equipment," amid speculation Iran's nuclear activities had come under cyberattack.
    http://sg.finance.yahoo.com/news/Ira...53845.html?x=0

Banned

Or by assasination? Can you say CIA?

TEHRAN, Iran — Iran's president accused Israel and the West of being behind a pair of daring bomb attacks that killed one nuclear scientist and wounded another in their cars on the streets of Tehran on Monday. He also admitted for the first time that a computer worm had affected centrifuges in Iran's uranium enrichment program.
    Mahmoud Ahmadinejad and other Iranian officials vowed that the nuclear program would not be hampered by what they described as a campaign to sabotage it — whether by assassination or by the computer virus. The United States and its allies say Iran is seeking to build a nuclear bomb, a claim Tehran denies.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/40412396...deastn_africa/

But there are people losing sleep at night worrying because control systems that operate components in our power generating plants and power transmission systems are vulnerable to the same type of worms. Same with industrial control systems at manufacturing and chemical plants.

Pretty cool huh?
    "For everyone to whom much is given, of him shall much be required." -- Luke 12:48

Raven - Moneybird's Black Magic Marker***
    (Esprit's Power Play x Trumarc's Lean Cuisine)
    Mick - Moneybird's Jumpin' Jack Flash***
    (Clubmead's Road Warrior x Oakdale Whitewater Devil Dog)
    Peerless - Moneybird's Sole Survivor
    (Two River's Lucky Willie x Moneybird's Black Magic Marker)

Quote Originally Posted by Buzz View Post
    But there are people losing sleep at night worrying because control systems that operate components in our power generating plants and power transmission systems are vulnerable to the same type of worms. Same with industrial control systems at manufacturing and chemical plants.

Pretty cool huh?
    LOL. Gee, who knew there would or could be hand wringing about Iran's nuke program being peacefully disrupted.

Let's see...we can't be mean to Iran or say bad things about them or you people get mad. We can't back Israel if they militarily address Iran's nuke program or you people would get mad. Now it's apparently unnacceptable to collapse Iran's nuke program without firing a single shot. What is "pretty cool" to you? Another world pariah and sponsor of terrorism with access to nuclear weapons?

Quote Originally Posted by Hew View Post
    LOL. Gee, who knew there would or could be hand wringing about Iran's nuke program being peacefully disrupted.

Let's see...we can't be mean to Iran or say bad things about them or you people get mad. We can't back Israel if they militarily address Iran's nuke program or you people would get mad. Now it's apparently unnacceptable to collapse Iran's nuke program without firing a single shot. What is "pretty cool" to you? Another world pariah and sponsor of terrorism with access to nuclear weapons?
    You need to get some help. You read things into other's posts that aren't there. I didn't say that it was bad that Iran's centrifuges flew apart. All I said was that a major part of our economy is vulnerable to the same type of attack and that seeing it done successfully in Iran isn't going to make a lot of people who operate the vulnerable infrastructure sleep any better at night. Sheesh, I'll try and really spell it out for you next time so you don't get yourself worked up.

Here is a good place for you to start in your rehabilitation...

http://recoveryhope4all.com/15styles..._thinking.html
    "For everyone to whom much is given, of him shall much be required." -- Luke 12:48

Raven - Moneybird's Black Magic Marker***
    (Esprit's Power Play x Trumarc's Lean Cuisine)
    Mick - Moneybird's Jumpin' Jack Flash***
    (Clubmead's Road Warrior x Oakdale Whitewater Devil Dog)
    Peerless - Moneybird's Sole Survivor
    (Two River's Lucky Willie x Moneybird's Black Magic Marker)

Quote Originally Posted by Buzz View Post
    You need to get some help. You read things into other's posts that aren't there. I didn't say that it was bad that Iran's centrifuges flew apart. All I said was that a major part of our economy is vulnerable to the same type of attack and that seeing it done successfully in Iran isn't going to make a lot of people who operate the vulnerable infrastructure sleep any better at night. Sheesh, I'll try and really spell it out for you next time so you don't get yourself worked up.

Here is a good place for you to start in your rehabilitation...

http://recoveryhope4all.com/15styles..._thinking.html
    Ah, so your "Pretty cool, eh?" comment at the end of your original post wasn't the normal smarmy and condescending sarcasm that you're fond of using? My bad.