The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Bird Dogs

Quote Originally Posted by road kill View Post
    How do you explain watching your dog learn this to your fellow employees on Monday??

So I am telling you guys!!

RK
    You don't - many of those I worked with at the big kite factory including some really big shots knew I did the quality dog thing. Some even made some fairly brazen hints about going hunting with me - I never did that. I had visions of what I would have done if one of those inept bastards shot one of my dogs & it wouldn't have been pretty. So nobody from work ever went with me, worked well that way.

Did have one of my bosses tell me I was foolish for not using that to garner further promotions, fortunately didn't need that .

There is nothing as thrilling as watching a dog get it doing what they are supposed to do .

Marvin S

Everyone's friend is No One's friend

Someday your life will flash before your eyes. It's your responsibility to make sure it's worth watching!

Quote Originally Posted by Marvin S View Post
    You don't - many of those I worked with at the big kite factory including some really big shots knew I did the quality dog thing. Some even made some fairly brazen hints about going hunting with me - I never did that. I had visions of what I would have done if one of those inept bastards shot one of my dogs & it wouldn't have been pretty. So nobody from work ever went with me, worked well that way.

Did have one of my bosses tell me I was foolish for not using that to garner further promotions, fortunately didn't need that .

There is nothing as thrilling as watching a dog get it doing what they are supposed to do .
    I love that sound when his nose is on the ground he gots bird stink in his nose!!!

SNKUFFFFF!!

RK
    Stan b & Elvis

Got back from iowa a day early never in 20yrs have i seen that bad. But i can remember the days. This my fifth dog to go out there with me . They were all 8mos to1yr when they came out for the first time. It was so dam much fun watching them really understand what that nose was for and how to turn the light on.

Quote Originally Posted by road kill View Post
    What makes a good bird dog??

My Grampa used to raise English Setter for hunting Quail in MO in the 40's 50's and early 60's.
    I watched him and helped him on occasions, he kept it pretty simple.

I asked him once what made a good bird dog.
    (didn't know about HT's and FT's and such)

His answer??

"BIRDS!!"

I watched Elvis learn much this weekend.
    I watched him learn to track.
    He has a great nose and until yesterday would actually see a bird but would not pull his snout off the ground where the scent was.
    Yesterday he figgered it out.
    Was on a spot, very birdy then tracked off the spot, saw the bird and the race was on.

After that, every time he would get "hot" if he didn't get a flush he would do a circle away from the hot spot and find and go after the trail.
    He got several birds that way.
    Conditions must have been just right.

Just priceless.
    Pure joy watching that!!!!
    How do you explain watching your dog learn this to your fellow employees on Monday??

So I am telling you guys!!

RK
    RK I come into work on cloud nine when one of my dogs have accomplished something great wanting to share with the people I work with but they don't get it. They are nice and all, but they just don't understand how difficult it is to find a good dog and train him to a level that can compete against the field of dogs that out there. So I pick of the phone and call a few friends that truely understand my excitement.

You and Buzz keep talking about hunting those pheasants and I'm going to have to try it. We don't have them down here in the marsh, so I've always hunted ducks and geese.

Quote Originally Posted by sambo View Post
    RK I come into work on cloud nine when one of my dogs have accomplished something great wanting to share with the people I work with but they don't get it.
    Same here...Nobody understands how big of a deal it was to me that I called in a couple mallards this morning and watched my dog make a nice retrieve on one. Perfect drake mallard, perfect shot, perfect retrieve, perfect morning! I felt like a 5 year old on Christmas watching him fall and sending Dixie for him. They think I'm crazy for getting up at 4am before work and slogging through the mud for fun. People also think I am nuts for paying hundreds of $$ for taxidermy, but that bird this morning means A LOT to me. He is in the freezer now, waiting to be taken to my taxidermist. I want to be able to remember this morning for a long time and I can't wait to tell my kids about it when they look at him on the wall and ask me how it happened...

Yep, people here at work just don't get it...In fact, nobody that hasn't done it themselves really gets it...

Quote Originally Posted by ducknwork View Post
    Same here...Nobody understands how big of a deal it was to me that I called in a couple mallards this morning and watched my dog make a nice retrieve on one. Perfect drake mallard, perfect shot, perfect retrieve, perfect morning! I felt like a 5 year old on Christmas watching him fall and sending Dixie for him. They think I'm crazy for getting up at 4am before work and slogging through the mud for fun. People also think I am nuts for paying hundreds of $$ for taxidermy, but that bird this morning means A LOT to me. He is in the freezer now, waiting to be taken to my taxidermist. I want to be able to remember this morning for a long time and I can't wait to tell my kids about it when they look at him on the wall and ask me how it happened...

Yep, people here at work just don't get it...In fact, nobody that hasn't done it themselves really gets it...
    But WE do!!!

(well some of us anyways)

RK
    Stan b & Elvis