The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: 3 Legged Retriever?

Quote Originally Posted by Briarpatch View Post
    Has anybody seen or heard of a 3 legged retriever working out? I don't want to do anything but hunt him. The Vet seemed to think it would be cruel to hunt him, but after working him a while he thinks he's being abused when you stop.
    I know a couple of folks in the Tallahassee, FL area who have or have had three legged retrievers. At least two of them are Master Hunters and at least one qualified for the Master National a couple of years ago.

In another new thread, the question is asked -- how strong are these retirevers? They are not only physically strong they also have lots of heart. They are truly amazing animals and add a whole new meaning to the phrase "when the going gets tough, the tough get going."
    SouthFork Fly

?? Canadian National Champion Belle of Zenith

Marvin S

Everyone's friend is No One's friend

Someday your life will flash before your eyes. It's your responsibility to make sure it's worth watching!

Quote Originally Posted by Chelsey's Triple H View Post
    I fostered a three legged Dobie/Lab mix and she could do everything the labs did. If the dog has the drive and willingness, why halt his training? My only suggestion would be if the dog does not use the leg and it "just hangs" you should consider having it amputated. No reason to leave it and enable possible further damage in the field.

I was thinking the same thing about having it removed. I don't understand why the vet put the pin in it to start with. Thanks!

Thanks for the encouragement & advice! I will keep you posted on how it goes. I'm not doubting Jack as much as myself. (Never trained a retriever before) I have the books Water Dog & The 10 Minute Retriever, so hopefully it will work out. thanks again, Ken

Yes if it is useless and just hangs there definately have it removed the extra weight of the leg will just add more stress to the good rear leg. it will also be much easier on his back.
    Dogs Dog, Handlers Handle, Judges Judge

HRCH Greenwoods Sealion Tsunami MH QAA

Thanks for reviving these old threads. Does a person and a heart good......

Chuck

There is a 3 leg Chessie in NC that got her JH last fall and is working on SH. She also hunts.

Briarpatch,

Here is a write up on my Girl. This is the Chessie that lab man is talking about. She is a hunter and three legs made her faster as well as increased drive. http://www.newsobserver.com/2013/04/...sease-get.html
    Pm me if you want to talk.
    (Pink)

Cancer Can't Slow This Girl Down JH (Girl) --- RIP

Sir Boomer of Highlands Bayou (Boomer) --- RIP

Marty Kress ran her 3 legged dog Austin. The dog had as much drive and desire as any you ever see and more than many. Never doubt the desire of these creatures.
    Courage-being scared to death but saddling up anyway. John Wayne

If you don't know where you're going, every road will get you there.

Pick your battles. Be sure they're small enough to win but big enough to matter.