The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 3 Legged Retriever?

Default 3 Legged Retriever?

My son bought a good blooded pup to train for our Duck hunting trips. At about 4 months he ran over the pup crushed his pelvis (1 back leg just hangs). Vet said He'd never hunt. The dog was pitiful! I thought about putting him down.

The dog has wound up at my house now & after running around, rough housing with my Boxer he is like a different dog. He's about 10 - 11 Months old. I started throwing a dummy a few weeks ago & he HAS THE DRIVE. I took him to a pond a few days ago & he swims & retrieves in the water.

Has anybody seen or heard of a 3 legged retriever working out? I don't want to do anything but hunt him. The Vet seemed to think it would be cruel to hunt him, but after working him a while he thinks he's being abused when you stop.

If I'm not mistaken, and lords know that happens a lot, I think the gent who started/ownes this site has or had a 3 legged HRCH dog.

Besides, if the dog doesn't care why should you?
    Joe Dickerson

R.I.P. 4xGMPR HRCH Hunters Marsh Jack Daniels Bubba Jazz MH
    Call Name: JD

Quote Originally Posted by Socks View Post
    If I'm not mistaken, and lords know that happens a lot, I think the gent who started/ownes this site has or had a 3 legged HRCH dog.
    You are not mistaken.

I don't see why you can't hunt him, just keep in mind all the extra wear and tear on the other back leg. Maybe try a maintance joint supplement?
    "Be who you are and say what feel...Because those that matter... don't mind... And those that mind... don't matter"

Chris (owner of this site) once posted a story about going on a hunt where there were two 3 legged retrievers. Maybe someone can find that old thread.

I watched an old yellow Lab named "Bailey" run many times. Bailey was a 2 time Master National dog with very limited use of his rear legs after being hit by a car when he was just a pup. So never sell these dogs short!
    Last edited by tom; 12-02-2010 at 03:32 PM.
    "there is a principle which is a bar against all information, which is proof against all arguments and which cannot fail to keep a man in everlasting ignorance --- that principle is contempt prior to investigation."
    Herbert Spencer

Before the AKC hunt test program came to be, we participated in the GRCA field events with our Goldens at that time. I watched a 3-legged dog (missing front leg) named Scout earn his WCX title; it was something to see that dog work.
    "Don't practice until you get it right; practice until you can't get it wrong." ~ Kim C.

Check out Dex. http://www.retrievertraining.net/for...&highlight=Dex

Two-legged retriever!

Senior Member Sundown49 aka Otey B's Avatar

http://www.retrievertraining.net/for...highlight=Luke

this is the post that Chris answered about Luke. Luke got his HRCH at a HT I attended.
    My Dad said to me ."Son, a man just needs three things to be happy....A good dog, a good gun and a good wife.....Thank God I have all three
    Sundown's Boss of Delta Marsh JH (Louie QAA X Delta MH)
    Traveling Through The Graded Timber JH (2012 NAFC Trav X Timber MH QAA)

Sundown's Ruff And Tuff (Boss JH X Lil Bit) best pup I have ever raised
    Home of HRCH Sundown's Loaded To The Maxx (FC AFC Jamie X Dixie QAA) RIP
    www.sundownlabs.com

There is a guy on duckhuntingchat.net called 3legged_lab he hunts with one ALOT. Doesnt someone on here have a 3 legs that hunts???

Yeah it was Chris thats what i thought sundown
    Last edited by i_willie12; 12-02-2010 at 03:44 PM.
    "Some people pride themselves on how far they can shoot ducks, others pride themselves on how close they can get them. I'm an other!!! "
    John Stephens RNT

HRCH Wilson's Grand Prairie Pintail
    http://wilsonsretrievers.com/

Here is a pic of Chris's dog (yellow) with the other three legged dog on the same hunt.
    "there is a principle which is a bar against all information, which is proof against all arguments and which cannot fail to keep a man in everlasting ignorance --- that principle is contempt prior to investigation."
    Herbert Spencer