The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: 3 Legged Retriever?

There's a guy who runs down in CA has a three legged dog, one of his legs isn't too good either, he's says "they got 4 good legs between them" which is good enough to pass most of the MH he runs in.
    Last edited by Hunt'EmUp; 12-02-2010 at 03:59 PM.

I have know a few including a couple master level dogs..... It happens for various reasons, but they don't seem to care
    Views and opinions expressed herein by Badbullgator do not necessarily represent the policies or position of RTF. RTF and all of it's subsidiaries can not be held liable for the off centered humor and politically incorrect comments of the author.
    Corey Burke

I've had the honor to pheasant hunt behind a 3 legged lab, she needed help to get going as her 3rd leg was more of a peg leg, but man oh man she could track down pheasants better than most 4 legged labs I've seen!

The dogs don't know the difference!
    "You can't eat a pig whole, but you can eat a whole pig." - Joe S.

Proudly Owned By:
    MHR HR Flash Of Mischief SH CD CGC - Flash (10/15/98 - 10/8/12)
    Lightning Fast Quack Attacker*** - Bullet
    Gotta Heart Of A Warrior - Ranger (12/26/07 - 8/10/2010)
    SML's Gettin' Sexy With It*** - Tango
    FOM's Raising a Ruckus in the Rockies - Riot

I know of one three legged lab 11 years old that still lifts his only rear leg to pee, just balances on his fron two legs. He has a MH (got it when he had 4 legs) and has been used as test dog for JH after he became a 3 legged dog. Dogs don't care if they only have 3 legs. Keep the weight down.
    Dogs Dog, Handlers Handle, Judges Judge

HRCH Greenwoods Sealion Tsunami MH QAA

Dex has two legs and he can do quite well. He is young so he will hunt more beginning next year. I would never sell any of these dogs short.

Thanks Curtiss

Senior Member Chelsey's Triple H's Avatar

I fostered a three legged Dobie/Lab mix and she could do everything the labs did. If the dog has the drive and willingness, why halt his training? My only suggestion would be if the dog does not use the leg and it "just hangs" you should consider having it amputated. No reason to leave it and enable possible further damage in the field.
    Chelsey
    The rescue who started it all...
    "Hailey" USJ SHR Havasu's Hollywood Heartache RE (7 RAE) JH CGC WC (Retired)
    and the youngster
    "Ryder" UUJ HR Nog's Knightly Trek to Hollywood CD RAE SH NAJ THD CGC WC CC

http://www.retrievertraining.net/for...ight=spare+leg

I miss old Luke. There were several threads about his situation, many of which were lost during the big purge.

That picture above of Luke (yellow with 3 legs) and Chief (black with 3 legs) was taken on a "judges' hunt" in Stuttgart a few years ago. I got to judge the World Duck contest that year and they treated me to a hunt with a guide.

When I called the guide the night before, I told him I was due to hunt with him the next day and I had a three-legged dog. I asked if I could bring him. The guy laughed kind of funny and said "Uh, sure...if he's a good dog in the blind, he's welcome".

When I showed up in the AM, there was another guy, walking his three legged dog outside the lodge in the dark before sunrise. It turned out, the guide had two parties in his blind. The other party called first. When I called back, the guide just thought I was forgetful so he pretended he'd not already told me to come on and hunt my dog.

Nobody realized there were two three legged dogs hunting the same blind until we got there.

Chief was owned by Lanny Wallace of Mossy Oak. Lanny was there as part of the Mossy Oak Duck Gumbo team for the Wings over the Praire festival. Chief had a leg shot off by some poacher near Lanny's property with a rifle. They never caught the guy.

The dog will tell you if he's not having fun hunting on three legs. Luke did great for 5 years on 3 legs and was a "retired" old man when we had the accident and amputated!

Chris
    "Determining and applying the criteria for when and when not to use correction is the essence of the art of dog training. I make a distinction between a mistake and a lack of effort." - Mike Lardy - Volume I "After Collar Conditioning"

Bill Dumas had a 3 legged golden HRCH that would break as quick as any golden you will ever see. He had no idea he was 3 legged or he was a golden. He thought he was a full blooded 4 legged lab.
    Bubba Joiner

HRCH UH Ridgewood's Georgia Dawg (500 point club)
    HRCH Ridgewood's Gold II
    HRCH Hold My Beer & Watch This
    Hope She's A Duk Dawg

Quote Originally Posted by bjoiner View Post
    Bill Dumas had a 3 legged golden HRCH that would break as quick as any golden you will ever see. He had no idea he was 3 legged or he was a golden. He thought he was a full blooded 4 legged lab.
    I had the honor to get to see Sonny and Bill run a few times before Sonny passed on. I was glad to get to see Bill run a new youngster a few weeks ago.

i asked him if this new pup was a descendant of Sonny. Bill said "Sadly, no he's not." Of course Bill had a smile on his face when he said it.

What a good guy. He and Sonny were both lucky to have each other.
    "Determining and applying the criteria for when and when not to use correction is the essence of the art of dog training. I make a distinction between a mistake and a lack of effort." - Mike Lardy - Volume I "After Collar Conditioning"

I saw a 3-legged dog (Lab) running a field trial in Ontario a few years ago.
    Liz Macpherson
    Rowantide Tollers
    www.rowantide.com

CH Kare's Ocean Tide CDX WC JH (1999-2009-RIP)
    HRCH UH CH Rowantide's Taylor Maid CDX SH, CDN/US WCX (2 MH passes!)
    HR CH Rowantide's Quikkr Pikkr Uppr CD JH, CDN/US WCX
    HR CH Rowantide's Remember Me CD WCX
    UH HRCH CH Rowantide's Celtic Cap WCX
    CH Rowantide's Quack Addict WC
    Rowantide's 1 More 4 the Road
    UH Trinity Just'Nuther Redhead

Anyone can train a Lab......
    maybe even a Toller person....