The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Total GDG: Stupid criminals

Quote Originally Posted by dnf777 View Post
    In 99% of the cases, American obesity is a combination of excess caloric (and inappropriate caloric) intake, and lack of physical activity. Let's call it the "Nacho-Nintendo Syndrome".

I don't see kids outside running and playing like when I was young. Maybe one of us had an atari, that we grew bored with in 10 minutes, then it was grab a football or baseball and outside until dark.

There are some unfortunate people, who truly do have a metabolic derangement, and obesity is difficult to avoid, but the vast majority need to adopt a healthier lifestyle, and all their diabetes, hyperlipidemia, hypertension, obstructive sleep apnea, arthritis, depression and other syndrome X ailments will resolve. Obesity is a scourge upon our land, and our western diet and lifestyle are largely to blame.

If you tally the cost of the prescription drugs used to treat the above ailments, multiply it by approximately 80 million, that adds up to some real costs to the system.
    I agree with almost everything you say. BUT, isn't their a hereditary factor with diabetes?
    Hihope Hiland Heathen of Perth CD, RE, CGC, TDI

death by flaming car for shoplifting.
    subroc

Article [I.]
    Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.
    Article [II.]
    A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

Quote Originally Posted by Bubba View Post
    You are thinking that they are trust fund babies?

Fat enough to hide a truckload of stolen merchandise and you are thinking they work for a living?

Prolly a good thing they didn't do a cavity search.

Gonna need brain bleach regards

Bubba
    I have worked with some pretty fat people. I also had an aunt that was an accountant that was huge. She worked every day. Health omplications caused by her obesity finally killed her. She had no trust fund and took no government assistance.

Quote Originally Posted by Blackstone View Post
    I have worked with some pretty fat people. I also had an aunt that was an accountant that was huge. She worked every day. Health omplications caused by her obesity finally killed her. She had no trust fund and took no government assistance.
    I'm not exactly a Ford model size since I quit smoking so I'm not one to make fat person jokes but honestly, hiding stolen stuff in your fat folds? It's so gross you have to laugh. But it's true that a larger percentage of the poor and those on the dole eat the wrong stuff. Combine an idle lifestyle with the ease and addiction to processed foods = growing weight problem. We've all been there behind the overweight person buying Twinkies, sugary soda and junk food with food stamps. And I'm appalled by how few of the unemployed would dream of doing physical labor when they can get handouts. In the past couple years, my husband's had a hard time hiring laborers when he has a labor-intensive project like fencing, even among his son's unemployed friends (late 20s). In my younger days when real estate income got skimpy I worked many part time jobs at thoroughbred farms, since I viewed mucking stalls as paid aerobics. The hardest work was galloping race horses, it's a full body workout like nothing else.
    Julie R., Hope Springs Farm
    Chesapeake Bay Retrievers since 1981

Quote Originally Posted by luvmylabs23139 View Post
    Because I worked in retail many years ago. The overwelming majority of people caught with mutiple items turned out to be getting their living expenses paid by the gov't. The kid caught stealing just one small item (they were actually the easy ones to catch because they were so obvious) was a spoiled rich kid.
    The best time was when Waterbury police brought us merchandise to identify.
    I asked the what something was on the item. It was one of the theifs brain matter!!!! After they robbed us they went to the mall in Waterbury (we had chased them thru the mall and lost them in the holiday crowd) they got chased by police and crashed and burned. 4 less criminals in the world. They went down in a blaze of flames!
    The adresses of offenders answered that question. A local knows the adresses of public (taxpayer money) housing.
    From everything I have read (including studies by the retail industry), shoplifters come in all shapes and sizes, ages and sexes, and vary in ethnic background, education, and economic background. Their reason for shoplifting may differ, but there is no one group of people more predisposed to shoplift than another. Some do it for the excitement, some are compulsive (remember Winona Ryder? She certainly wasn’t on government assistance.), some steal out of need, & some steal because of peer pressure. No social or economic group is immuned.
    Last edited by Blackstone; 12-05-2010 at 12:29 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Julie R. View Post
    I'm not exactly a Ford model size since I quit smoking so I'm not one to make fat person jokes but honestly, hiding stolen stuff in your fat folds? It's so gross you have to laugh. But it's true that a larger percentage of the poor and those on the dole eat the wrong stuff. Combine an idle lifestyle with the ease and addiction to processed foods = growing weight problem. We've all been there behind the overweight person buying Twinkies, sugary soda and junk food with food stamps. And I'm appalled by how few of the unemployed would dream of doing physical labor when they can get handouts. In the past couple years, my husband's had a hard time hiring laborers when he has a labor-intensive project like fencing, even among his son's unemployed friends (late 20s). In my younger days when real estate income got skimpy I worked many part time jobs at thoroughbred farms, since I viewed mucking stalls as paid aerobics. The hardest work was galloping race horses, it's a full body workout like nothing else.
    I cannot argue that, but I think most poor eating habits are learned and passed on. I think thatís why you see entire fat families. My parents taught me to eat healthy as a child. Now, I donít always do it, but I know better, and thatís what keeps me from making a steady diet of junk food. But, if I didnít know any better, I could eat bacon cheeseburgers and fries almost everyday. Then, I would be eligible for one of those pictures.

Quote Originally Posted by luvmylabs23139 View Post
    I agree with almost everything you say. BUT, isn't their a hereditary factor with diabetes?
    Yes there is, but there are different forms of diabetes. One is the pancreatic islet cells quit producing insulin. This is often referred to as type I or juvenile diabetes. The type II, or adult-onset is heavily influenced by obesity, excessive caloric intake, and sedentery lifestlye. Type II is reversible in large part with diet and lifestyle changes. Type I is not.
    God Bless PFC Jamie Harkness. The US Army's newest PFC, but still our neighbor's little girl!

Back to the original topic. Hubby decided we should see if this was even somewhat possible with a normal sized person. Much laughter and comedy aside, I couldn't even hide one sneaker in my bra. Even wearing one of his sweatshirts that one sneaker made things look extremely odd. These people had to be morbidly obese.
    Hihope Hiland Heathen of Perth CD, RE, CGC, TDI