RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner

Homemade Healing Stick

20K views 51 replies 38 participants last post by  Good Dogs 
#1 · (Edited)
Don't know how to post pictures, but I emailed them to somebody that does. Maybe they can add them. Below is my attemp to explain how to make a homemade heeling stick.

Buy a driveway marker (white with a red reflector at the top), PVC 1/4" tubing, rubber splicing tape (used to form the grip and tip) and liquid rubber dip used for tool grips.

I found the driveway markers near the mail boxes in Lowe's, PVC tubing in the plumbing section (It is a clear flexible tubing with thread weaved into it.) The rubber grip dip was with the spray paint section. It is basically a black liquid rubber dip used for grips on tools. It had a picture of a pair of pliers on it with a yellow grip dip on them and the electrical splicing tape in the electrical section.

• What I did was cut the tubing and driveway marker to my desired length. The marker pole barely fits inside of the tubing.
  • Use a air compressor in the open end of the tubing to assist you in pushing the pole into the tubing (it blows it up little like a balloon action).
  • Once it is in flush on both sides, cover the tip with the splicing tape (It's a rubber nonadhesive black tape that sticks to itself) and one wrap around the outside.
  • Do the same to the grip side and use the splicing tape to form you grip however think you want it minus a little bit. Wrap the grip like a baseball bat grip and overlap to get the form you want.
  • Dip the tip into the rubber grip dip and let it dry hanging up from one end. ( I used a coat hanger and some string) Don't lay it on its side. It will drip so put something under it to catch the drips. You may want to dip it 2 or 3 times to get the coverage thick enough.
  • Dip the grip into the rubber grip dip and let it dry hanging up from one end. You may want to dip it 2 or 3 times to get the coverage thick enough.
  • A tip for the rubber dip is to make a container that is thin and longer than the can it comes in. (I would use a piece of PVC and some stoppers) This will allow you to dip a longer grip for the healing stick. It will also allow you to seal the rubber dip air tight and last longer. The can it comes in does not reseal very well. It is like a short tennis ball can.
I have yet to break one in two years, granted I don't hammer away at my dogs with it either. They are a little heavier than the store bought ones, but I like them better. Let me know if you have any questions.

I think I made 5 or 6 for around $25.

See less See more
#41 ·
I too am from the horse world. I have dressage whips, designed to be able to reach the horses side without removing your hand from the rein. I have two, one was broken at the tip, I liked that one because is was stiffer, less likely to inflict an unintended sting. It has gone missing darn husband used it and did not put it back. Now he is using my good dressage whip, has a little whip tassel on the end. He better not lose it.

I like the length of the dressage whips. They are also comfortable in my hand since I have used them for years in horses.

#42 ·
I like the length of the dressage whips. They are also comfortable in my hand since I have used them for years in horses.
Dressage whips are often the base for the heeling sticks I make. I believe you can make a better heeling stick than you can buy for a couple important reasons.
  1. You can cut them to a length that custom fits you; about 2" from the ground when you're holding it at your side with your hand in the most comfortable spot on the grip. (I pick the whips with a tapered golf club-type grip)
  2. You can also choose how much or how little flexibility your stick will have.
Most pre-made heeling sticks are too 'whippy'.

Evan

#43 ·
its funny every heeling stick I have ever owned was purchased at a saddle or tack shop, and a Delmar Smith wonder lead is identical to a calf roper's piggin string (Smith Bros Roping Denton TX )

#44 ·
I like to make lots of my own stuff too, but I can't justify all that. I just get a buggy whip from the feed store, trim it down and dip the end in liquid rubber. Takes about 5 minutes to make.

Mine is stiffer than one you get from DA or GDS, but I prefer a stiffer stick.

#46 ·
Pretty much the same thing I do. I use them and/or dressage whips the same way, but I wrap them snugly in black electrical tap before dipping the tip. That keeps the fiberglass shaft from splintering and wearing out prematurely.

Evan

#50 ·
I misplaced my heeling stick the other day and just used my tennis ball chucker... I used the round side. That works doggone great! Flexible and you don't miss because of the shape. Who would have thunk... Perfect length. It actually worked better then the heeling stick.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.