RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner

Homemade Healing Stick

20K views 51 replies 38 participants last post by  Good Dogs 
#1 · (Edited)
Don't know how to post pictures, but I emailed them to somebody that does. Maybe they can add them. Below is my attemp to explain how to make a homemade heeling stick.

Buy a driveway marker (white with a red reflector at the top), PVC 1/4" tubing, rubber splicing tape (used to form the grip and tip) and liquid rubber dip used for tool grips.

I found the driveway markers near the mail boxes in Lowe's, PVC tubing in the plumbing section (It is a clear flexible tubing with thread weaved into it.) The rubber grip dip was with the spray paint section. It is basically a black liquid rubber dip used for grips on tools. It had a picture of a pair of pliers on it with a yellow grip dip on them and the electrical splicing tape in the electrical section.

• What I did was cut the tubing and driveway marker to my desired length. The marker pole barely fits inside of the tubing.
  • Use a air compressor in the open end of the tubing to assist you in pushing the pole into the tubing (it blows it up little like a balloon action).
  • Once it is in flush on both sides, cover the tip with the splicing tape (It's a rubber nonadhesive black tape that sticks to itself) and one wrap around the outside.
  • Do the same to the grip side and use the splicing tape to form you grip however think you want it minus a little bit. Wrap the grip like a baseball bat grip and overlap to get the form you want.
  • Dip the tip into the rubber grip dip and let it dry hanging up from one end. ( I used a coat hanger and some string) Don't lay it on its side. It will drip so put something under it to catch the drips. You may want to dip it 2 or 3 times to get the coverage thick enough.
  • Dip the grip into the rubber grip dip and let it dry hanging up from one end. You may want to dip it 2 or 3 times to get the coverage thick enough.
  • A tip for the rubber dip is to make a container that is thin and longer than the can it comes in. (I would use a piece of PVC and some stoppers) This will allow you to dip a longer grip for the healing stick. It will also allow you to seal the rubber dip air tight and last longer. The can it comes in does not reseal very well. It is like a short tennis ball can.
I have yet to break one in two years, granted I don't hammer away at my dogs with it either. They are a little heavier than the store bought ones, but I like them better. Let me know if you have any questions.

I think I made 5 or 6 for around $25.

See less See more
#2 ·
A friend of mine showed me how to make them too, about 14 yrs ago. They did work good- now I just buy the hog bats for about 6.00 and they work good- theyre leather with a leather tab on bottom ,good for swatting.:) Fit in back pocket good.

#4 ·
Yup, a magic wand! All I have to do with it in the house,is just quietly pick it up when someone in the house is misbehaving,I. pick itup and show it to them . They settle fast!

#6 ·
Heeling stick
June Atkinson (Holway goldens)

#7 ·
Is that a bag of tennis balls??? :shock:

Take that down ... we don't need that!!! :oops: ;-)

JS

#10 · (Edited)
You know how it is with those fluffy dogs ;-)

Just so you know, June Atkinson was the breeder of "Holway Barty"
(no such thing as a good Golden without Barty blood in it) ;-)

#8 ·
HahahahahHAHAHAHahahahHAHAHAHHAHAHAhaa

The tennis balls are in the visible pouch- tshe keeps the squeaky toys inside so as not to overheat the fluffies.

Suspicions confirmed regards

Bubba

#27 ·
Why go to all that trouble when you can get a horse whip at a outdoors store for $5.00? Just wondering. i lose too many heeling sticks to pay a lot on money :( or the trouble.

Lee Nelson
443-786-8977

2 reasons. I like to mess around and make things. I like the way the work a lot better.

#13 ·
Granted they don't fit in your pocket too well but you simply can't beat a $1 wiffle bat from the dollar store. And that price includes a ball, too! Not to mention the cool colors they come in; I have a purple one and a lime green one. My best heeling stick is a jockey bat though; can't even remember where I got it but I have a ton of horse stuff. This one's just the right flex and has a popper on the end and does fit in my pocket.

#14 ·
Coming from a horse background, I also prefer the longer riding crop to a heeling stick, especially after my dog jumped back into heel after starting to break and I ended up hitting her in the head, just above her eye (aiming at her butt, she's fast going backwards). If it had been a heeling stick, I would have damaged her eye. Scared both of us.

Dawn

#15 ·
"I have yet to break one in two years, granted I don't hammer away at my dogs with it either. They are a little heavier than the store bought ones, but I like them better. Let me know if you have any questions.

I think I made 5 or 6 for around $25."

Thanks for the cool idea, Bubba. Not all of us care for the healing sticks from Dogs Afield, either.

#16 ·
If you guys are still using heeling sticks ya gots some learnin to do.

#17 ·
Some of us dumb ******** just haven't got the book smarts that y'all fellers from up yonder do I reckon...... please do tell.

#24 ·
I also grabbed a 2 ton come-along for 20.00$
Is that how you teach your dog to come?

#25 · (Edited)
Just for the unknowing ... June Atkinson has being doing this stuff for fifty years and her dogs are still winning titles and silver pots. Holway kennels have made up twenty FTCHs including the winner of the IGL.

For those who cannot quite match such a distinguished record, perhaps you might consider using tennis balls in your training too, it's obviously where you are going wrong.

Eug

#28 ·
They can be made with an old golf club shaft w/ the grip handle, some properly sized nylon rope and some of that red stuff that you dip your pliers handles in.......

john

This post has been deleted
#29 ·
..Sometimes 20-30ft. long..:)
Never really noticed any differences from one to another now that you mention it.. I assumed they come in a standard length..3- 3 1/2 ft.
You've heard the old addage..A HEELING Stick is just an extension of your arm..:cool:

#32 ·
if your wife plays golf and knocks the head off her driver:rolleyes:, you can use the graphite shaft as a nice heeling stick. Good handle and right length :razz::p

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.