The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 2 of 16 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Republicans vote to raise taxes

Quote Originally Posted by YardleyLabs View Post
    Which administration passed the law raising taxes in 2011? Why did they do it...
    compromise to prevent democrat filibuster and stalemate.
    subroc

Article [I.]
    Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.
    Article [II.]
    A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

Quote Originally Posted by road kill View Post
    Neither could you, but I wouldn't have read your customary 6 paragraphs of BS anyway!!

Unemployment is what....9.8%????

Raising taxes creates JOBS how????

RK
    Neither could I what?

The unemployment rate will probably increase even more if the number of jobs continues to grow.True unemployment was probably closer to 16-17%, but doesn't get measured when people stop looking for work because there is none. When jobs start to grow, they re-enter the market and unemployment, which only counts those actively seeking work, grows as well. Even with healthy job growth, it would take months for for unemployment to go down.

I agree that some additional stimulus would probably help at this stage, but only if it is short term and immediate -- for example a one year extension of lower tax rates for those earning less than $200k. However, continuing the tax cuts without offsetting spending cuts adopted simultaneously is just crazy.

Jeff,
    You really don't get it do you?
    Let's just say a family member has a small business and they have a ton of work. Due to not knowing their tax rate if you had that business would you gamble on who knows what including needing clarification on the helathcare bill and hire aperson or 2, or play it safe and work double your norrmal hours to cover the work and have your wife also do all of the client stuff that she is more than capable of?
    We took the bust our butts attitude and I'm not a real happy camper, but better I do it for the rest of the year than we hire at least one person and then get screwed. If our tax rates go up next year we have 3 choices.
    1. Pay the feds more so they can waste it/
    2. Monitor everything and turn down work at a certain point.
    3. GET A DIVORCE and accept an additional amount of possible work. $150,000 more work ( net income) could be accepted with a divorce.
    Hihope Hiland Heathen of Perth CD, RE, CGC, TDI

Quote Originally Posted by luvmylabs23139 View Post
    Jeff,
    You really don't get it do you?
    Let's just say a family member has a small business and they have a ton of work. Due to not knowing their tax rate if you had that business would you gamble on who knows what including needing clarification on the helathcare bill and hire aperson or 2, or play it safe and work double your norrmal hours to cover the work and have your wife also do all of the client stuff that she is more than capable of?
    We took the bust our butts attitude and I'm not a real happy camper, but better I do it for the rest of the year than we hire at least one person and then get screwed. If our tax rates go up next year we have 3 choices.
    1. Pay the feds more so they can waste it/
    2. Monitor everything and turn down work at a certain point.
    3. GET A DIVORCE and accept an additional amount of possible work. $150,000 more work ( net income) could be accepted with a divorce.
    I get it just fine. Everyone wants all the services without paying the bill. The result is a deficit that has bankrupted our country. The solution to that will include substantial tax increases and substantial spending cuts. Both have the effects of slowing the economy. However, deficit spending has the effect of bankrupting our economy. There is no nice middle ground.

The tax cuts implemented in 2001 and 2003 were implemented even while spending grew faster than at any time in our history. Spending went up, revenues went down, a bubble grew and then popped. It's that simple. The tax cuts were a major source of the problems we face today.

The tax cuts that are now expiring are expiring because that was the only way the Bush administration could get them passed without proposing spending cuts to prevent a growth in the deficit. It was unwilling to do that. They wanted both -- higher spending and lower taxes. Nothing has changed. The song is the same but soon we will be needing to sing it in Chinese.

Everyone who cares about the deficit should be demanding that no tax cuts be extended without exactly the types of sending cuts rejected under Bush. If a temporary stimulus is needed, implement a temporary program. If a temporary program will not do any good, then don't implement it. Save the money. Otherwise, we are simply adding another few trillion dollars to the deficit that we do not have.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by sandyg View Post
    Nice spin. 180 degrees from the truth. I'm not surprised. It's all Bush's fault!
    Why don't you give us the truth Sandy? Lets hear your SPIN of it.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by subroc View Post
    The headline should read:
    Perhaps you can explain this reverse logic. It makes absolutely NO sense.

The gov't needs to cut spending period. What does the average person do? They cut spending. Businesses cut spending. The gov't does not.
    CUT THE DARN SPENDING END OF STORY.
    NOw we are even going to have to pay for other people's kids dinners twice! GET A DAMN GRIP!!!!

. If a temporary program will not do any good, then don't implement it. Save the money. Otherwise, we are simply adding another few trillion dollars to the deficit that we do not have.
    BUMMA wasted almpst 1 trillion that way!!!! One trillion! Why should I have to pay for that? He should fork it out!

Quote Originally Posted by luvmylabs23139 View Post
    The gov't needs to cut spending period. What does the average person do? They cut spending. Businesses cut spending. The gov't does not.
    CUT THE DARN SPENDING END OF STORY.
    NOw we are even going to have to pay for other people's kids dinners twice! GET A DAMN GRIP!!!!
    I have no problem with cutting spending. And when we have a bill that cuts spending by a trillion dollars, we can go ahead and extend $700 billion in tax cuts. Cut spending another trillion, and cut taxes another $700 billion. Eventually we will have a balanced budget. But until those cuts are passed, rule number one is don't do anything that makes the problem worse.

I have no problem with cutting spending. And when we have a bill that cuts spending by a trillion dollars, we can go ahead and extend $700 billion in tax cuts. Cut spending another trillion, and cut taxes another $700 billion. Eventually we will have a balanced budget. But until those cuts are passed, rule number one is don't do anything that makes the problem worse.

Are you willing to concede that extending unemployment benefits should be a no go?
    How about getting rid of that new dinner twice crap for kids?