Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: The death of the man caused global warming movement

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by zeus3925 View Post
    Here's some raw meat:

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/40534684...s-environment/

By the way, how many of you climate posters actually have degrees in the earth sciences? I suspect not very many.
    i do. bs geology/geophysics option UT Austin:, hydrogeology grad course work, but no thesis or ms degree.

plenty of emphasis on coastal deposition, erosion, etc etc., and as a lifelong surfer i am pretty knowledgeable about shoreline physics.

not a top expert but also not hardly a flunkie on the subject.

i have plenty to say on this subject and have done so already.

time is the ultimate filter....................
    Last edited by david gibson; 12-07-2010 at 05:54 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by zeus3925 View Post
    Here's some raw meat:

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/40534684...s-environment/

By the way, how many of you climate posters actually have degrees in the earth sciences? I suspect not very many.
    My undergrad degree is a double major in biology/environmental science. Don't know if ES qualifies, its not hard core geology, oceanography, or climatology.

In any case, I don't surf, and I went to Texas A&M--not UT, so my views would not be a liberal as Gibson's anyway.
    God Bless PFC Jamie Harkness. The US Army's newest PFC, but still our neighbor's little girl!

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by dnf777 View Post
    My undergrad degree is a double major in biology/environmental science. Don't know if ES qualifies, its not hard core geology, oceanography, or climatology.

In any case, I don't surf, and I went to Texas A&M--not UT, so my views would not be a liberal as Gibson's anyway.
    so - you dont have a lifetime of firsthand experience of coastal processes, thats the gist. no bigee. i am lucky that my collegiate studies fit my preferred passtimes - hunting. fishing, and surfing. i dont have a lifetime of firsthand (no pun intended) exerience at your profession of .... well, i'll leave it at that.

a liberal at A&M (you) and a conservative at UT (me) should factor none.

although i FULLY respect biology/env science as a double major for any carreer springboard, really though - when it comes to global warming- geology/goephysics and atmospheric physics are certainly more pertinent, dont you agree?

Quote Originally Posted by dnf777 View Post

"Charlie don't surf!!"
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aLEjr4eg8rA

RK
    Stan b & Elvis

Quote Originally Posted by luvmylabs23139 View Post
    It went down to 18 here last night and our high for today was 31. The dogs don't even want to stay out for very long. This is way too cold for early Dec.
    No kidding...By the time our duck season comes back in on the 18th, we won't have anything left to shoot at. I am sure that my swamps are frozen already...

It was so cold yesterday.......my shadow wouldn't follow me outside.
    God Bless PFC Jamie Harkness. The US Army's newest PFC, but still our neighbor's little girl!

Quote Originally Posted by depittydawg View Post
    From my experience, those who have the most trouble letting go of old ideas are conservatives. In fact, isn't that the definition of conservatism?

New idea, late 20th century- Carbon pollutions contribute to global warming. Those who have yet to embrace the science? Liberals or Conservatives?

Various polls and printed studies place the number of scientists around the world who accept global warming as sound science to be above 90%. Some place it as high as 99%. I can't think of any example in the modern era where 90% of scientists got something wrong. Can you?

Differences come into account when you get into the long range effect of climate change. But the fact that it is occurring seems about as sound as science can get.

Considering the plausible outcomes of doing something about this potential threat, or ignoring it, it seems rather naive, let alone irresponsible, to ignore it. Even if you're not on board with the science of climate change, most would agree that developing alternatives to fossil fuel energy consumption is of vital importance strategically for reasons of national and economic security.

I suggest that people quit allowing your politicians to use this issue as a political wedge issue and start coming up with action plans to deal with it.
    yes i can think of one other time when the same groups were wrong. it was the coming ice age in the late 70s i remember the newspapers had maps in them showing how far the polor ice cap would be