The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: How would you fix Education?

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by luvmylabs23139 View Post
    So everyone complains but I have yet to hear any real solutions. All I hear is more money but that has been long proven to not be the solution.
    Have at it and I will throw in some personal observations ranging from as a current adult to back to being an elementary student.
    Our educational system is by and large pretty good. Someone said administrators make to much and that can't be argued. But then, that's true in Private Business also. The role of government in education needs to change. Government needs to support education, especially students, not run education. Teacher unions don't benefit the educational system at all. I don't see why they should continue to exist.

Quote Originally Posted by depittydawg View Post
    Teacher unions don't benefit the educational system at all. I don't see why they should continue to exist.
    While I agree 100% with this, what have you done with DD?
    Hihope Hiland Heathen of Perth CD, RE, CGC, TDI

Back in school the fear I had after screwing up a grade, course, or discipline was not from any teacher but what would happen when my parents found out, usually extra chores, grounded, babysitting my ugly sister, pretty much the end of the world happened.
    My wife teaches alternative ed class's and for the most part those kids who are the worst problems in her district have parents missing either mentally or physically. Also most districts go out of their way to not suspend kids as they do not want to lose the money from the government. The biggest growth in school districts are Special Ed programs as every parent thinks their child is special, so many schools have lots of certified Special Ed teachers so that when kids have problems with subjects, the teachers are immediately told to furnish the special child a dummed down version of the course to pass it.
    Also most districts have a policy that in every course each child automatically gets a 50 percent grade when 70 is passing the course, not much work required to bring that up to passing status so that kid can move on up. I would of loved getting a automatic 50 in that algebra course I hated.
    DLM

" Paddle faster, I hear Banjos!"

Quote Originally Posted by Juli H View Post
    We need to pay administration less and teachers more. We need yr round school - 3 months school, 2 week vacation, 3 months school, 2 weeks vacation -

Juli
    My wife and I wonder why schools don't operate more like the real world. Year round class, with vacation time that you can schedule as your family prefers, with certain limitations for exams, etc...

This would also unclutter vacation spots during the summer tourism season. Not everyone will elect to go at the same time.
    God Bless PFC Jamie Harkness. The US Army's newest PFC, but still our neighbor's little girl!

Quote Originally Posted by dnf777 View Post
    This would also unclutter vacation spots during the summer tourism season. Not everyone will elect to go at the same time.
    When my kids are school age, I would prefer the break to be Nov-Jan so I can take them duck hunting every day. I think I'll start a petition.

So if most of us are in agreement that the #1 problem is parenting/families (or lack of), what do we do to fix that? Not 'we' individually, because I am sure that most, if not all, of us on here don't have that problem in our own homes. As a society, what needs to be done to correct these problems before they completely destroy America?

Quote Originally Posted by ducknwork View Post
    As a society, what needs to be done to correct these problems before they completely destroy America?
    I suggested norplant proof or depo shots when picking up public assistance/ food stamps, etc. But I got blasted by the guardian of women's rights, David Gibson, as being anti-female.

What he doesn't realize, is giving (or forcing) these women to put off having children while living in poverty, will actually empower them to rise OUT of poverty, if they invoke other measures as well. Statistics show women who bear children while living beneath the poverty level will likely never rise above it.

Its not permanent, so nobody is promoting sterilization or anything like that. Just limiting unwanted children, who will enter our school system with no parental support in place.

Excuse me, while I go put on my asbestos suit.
    God Bless PFC Jamie Harkness. The US Army's newest PFC, but still our neighbor's little girl!

Quote Originally Posted by dnf777 View Post
    I suggested norplant proof or depo shots when picking up public assistance/ food stamps, etc. But I got blasted by the guardian of women's rights, David Gibson, as being anti-female.

What he doesn't realize, is giving (or forcing) these women to put off having children while living in poverty, will actually empower them to rise OUT of poverty, if they invoke other measures as well. Statistics show women who bear children while living beneath the poverty level will likely never rise above it.

Its not permanent, so nobody is promoting sterilization or anything like that. Just limiting unwanted children, who will enter our school system with no parental support in place.

Excuse me, while I go put on my asbestos suit.
    It makes lots of sense, but I don't know that America would allow people to be forced to be temporarily sterilized. I am also not sure that I would want America to allow that...seems like a slope that is coated in vaseline and wd40 to me...

Without question parental involvement is key. I worked a truancy reduction program the last two years before I retired. There were brilliant students that were failing and not attending school, where the parents were just too apathetic about their kid's education to get involved. Often these parents also had school issues in their past.

Community involvement is also a key factor. I lived in a small town where the high school turned out National Merit Scholars like a factory. It also had athletic teams that ate everyone's lunch. At state tournament time the town was nearly abandoned. The school also had a vibrant adult ed and recreation programs. School wasn't just for the kids.

Our teacher education needs to be more selective about admission to colleges of education. We should only admit the best and brightest into a college of education after the second year of college. We should actively recruit those students that show the aptitude for making a great teachers. A good teacher can make all the difference.

The the thrust of curricula must be directed more toward problem solving rather than rote learning and teaching for the test. A good part of education is not regurgitation but to be able to ask the right questions and devise approaches to finding the right answer.

The State of Texas is the largest buyer of school books in the country. Consequently, text book publishers tailor their product to win the approval of that state. No offense to Texas, but we must stop relying on that state's curriculum setting the tone for the school books in this country, One size does not fit all.

We must also get rid of the anti-science bias in the society. Along with that throw out the attitude is that math is just too hard. We must teach the sciences as science is currently understood and not allow pseudo-science like creationism to interfere. Our survival as a technological nation depends on good science.

Extending the school year should also be considered. much time is lost every fall to recover skills that have become dulled over the summer.

Are some systems top heavy with administration? Some no doubt are.

Lastly, we should down size our high schools. A lot of our urban schools have populations that exceed that of many small towns. Yet, we expect that there will be no large problems that arise. With schools that serve 2000+ students control is a major headache to the point we have to station police officers full time in the school. Economy of scale is not everything.
    Last edited by zeus3925; 12-08-2010 at 09:07 AM.
    Zeus

I don't want to feed an ugly dog!

Quote Originally Posted by ducknwork View Post
    It makes lots of sense, but I don't know that America would allow people to be forced to be temporarily sterilized. I am also not sure that I would want America to allow that...seems like a slope that is coated in vaseline and wd40 to me...
    I completely understand, and share those concerns. However, the program is not "forcing" anything. It is a voluntary participation. If you'd rather have kids, fine, figure out how to pay for them. But then again, look at the example the gov't just set for "paying for things"!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by JDogger View Post
    and still...Johnny can't read... 60+ years later.

JD
    In our little one room school, Open Concept , reading, math, spelling writing, geography were emphasized. Our teacher, one of the local girls who had gone to normal school for 12 weeks the previous summer, eventually getting the required 30 weeks to be a certified Elementary teacher, was all of 19 at the time.

We looked up to her as she was smarter than us & got everyone involved. Does that sound like many of the teachers of today?

I've seen quite a bit of the education system, from bored & unruly student to Chair of a large local School Board, also served as Negotiations committee chair for several years.

What some of you point out are the symptoms of the decline of educational achievement. It really boils down to this, the parents are not at fault as some would like to blame, the educational establishment is to blame for failing to articulate a plan, after all they tell you they are the experts .

But you cannot expect much when the pool of talent comes from the lower 25%ile of those who take the SAT & attend college. I was originally going to be a coach, attended college on a BB scholarship. After only taking basic Algebra in HS was told I did not need to attend my math class in college as I already was ahead of the curve. This was 60 years ago!!!!!!!!! When I got out of the service & did the engineering thing it was considerably different. But I would not be qualified to teach math by their standards???????

Also recognize that most teachers are getting merit pay, considering what they bring to the table & their employment is part time!!!!!!!!

& BTW, I did get to walk 2 miles to school when it was 20 below, only thing we were told, never accept a ride from a stranger .

Marvin S

Everyone's friend is No One's friend

Someday your life will flash before your eyes. It's your responsibility to make sure it's worth watching!