The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: layout blind recommendations?

Default layout blind recommendations?

Looking to buy layout blind for goose hunting in fields as well as a dog blind for my lab (85lbs). Trying to decide between Avery and Cabelas hi end models both of which seem to run around $250 each so its a question of quality. Also i am concerned about the dog blinds, I have seen some pretty bad Avery reviews about the poles breaking. What do you folks use and recommend. Thanks for the advice

Final approach pro-guide are excellent blinds, check out rogerssportinggoods.com, their prices are very good and have excellent customer service. Rogers has their own brand of blinds which look good and are attractively priced.

It's never a good idea to put your dog in your layout blind. It's not safe and your can't see to mark the birds. A seperate blind for your dog is the only way to go.

I'd get into the different blinds your looking at in the store and see which your the most comfortable with. Look at how they set up/tear down, how do they transport if thats an issue. I've ran Avery blinds for a long time and haven't had any issues with them.

If your going to order through the mail Rogers is a great outlet.

Agree with buying from Rogers, got both my Avery Finisher and a GHG Ground Force dog blind from them. I love the finisher, sets up or breaks down in 40 seconds, its roomy and comfortable. The dog blind has been used hard by my young (big) BLM, he is a high horsepower/lots of go dog and blasts in and out of it every day that we train. He has ripped the seam between the floor and side material, but the poles are fine.

Quote Originally Posted by mcgoo656 View Post
    Agree with buying from Rogers, got both my Avery Finisher and a GHG Ground Force dog blind from them. I love the finisher, sets up or breaks down in 40 seconds, its roomy and comfortable. The dog blind has been used hard by my young (big) BLM, he is a high horsepower/lots of go dog and blasts in and out of it every day that we train. He has ripped the seam between the floor and side material, but the poles are fine.
    I agree totaly. I have the same set up and it works great!

My Avery Finisher has served me well as a layout blind. I am equally satisfied with my GHG Ground Force dog blind. However, the dog blind has not seen as much use as the layout and I can't speak to long term durability.

If any of you goose hunters have the Magnum or Super Magnum goose shell decoys, ( about 4'x2') you can train your dog to lie down under one of these and the dogs head will only be visable. Works great!
    <--- Dooey, MH
    MHR Duckmates Fly Guy MH 05/17/94 - 07/17/08 "Flyboy"
    Candlewood Court Magician JH 1/31/02 - 8/2/12 "Magic Man"

Richard

I have an Avery blind and 2 Tanglefoot blinds all from Rogers as well as a GHG Ground Force for the pup. The Tanglefoots were very reasonable and have held up well.
    "In GOD we TRUST, for everything else there's JUMPMASTERS!"

Proudly owned by CPR HR Tiger Mountain Liberty "Libby"

I recently bought the Rig 'em Right dog blind and have been really impressed. It opens by simply unbuckling three clips and it pops up. To collapse, simply reattach the clips. It can be carried out by throwing the carrying strap over the shoulder and walking out. Without exaggeration, it can be opened in less than five seconds.

https://rigemright.com/cart/product.php?pid=28

I've got the GHG Groundforce layout which I would recommend, but then I bought my daughter the Avery Powerhunter for Christmas and think I'll be "borrowing" that more! The Powerhunter can virtually disappear with it's low profile, and if you take the metal bar out of the top the profile even goes lower. The GHG is more roomy however and it's nice to be more enclosed on those cold late season days. I also use the GroundForce dog blind. There's 2 models I believe of which we have the lower profile. Typically I'll try to dig both in a bit as well. But for ease of setup, I can set up all 3 blinds in about 2 minutes and taking them apart and hauling them in and out of the fields are a breeze.
    "If you have watched a pup learning the game, I do not have to tell you what it is like, and if you have not, I probably can't."- Datus Proper

-----------------------------------------------------

TNT Sailors Lil Hurricane Addie ***
    WR Cedars Field Blazing Tucker SH