The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media

View Poll Results: Gonna see it or not?

Voters
26. You may not vote on this poll
  • Hell yes! Its an awesome flick being remade with great actors

13 50.00%
  • Hell no! Its sacrilege to mess with a John Wayne classic!

13 50.00%
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: True Grit: Yeah or Nay

Default True Grit: Yeah or Nay

Probably gonna break my dry streak of no movies for about 10 years, and go see this one in the theater. They're messin' with the Duke though...
    God Bless PFC Jamie Harkness. The US Army's newest PFC, but still our neighbor's little girl!

Trading Glen Campbell in for Matt Damon for the La Boeuf character is probably an upgrade (although, I don't hate Campbell), but after watching the trailer, I expect the original is easily the better movie. The cleaver verbal exchanges in the original will not be easily duplicated. The orignal cast will overpower the remake cast.

John Wayne remakes rarely satisfy.

The remakes of Stagecoach pale in comparison although both the Kris Kristofferson and Alex Cord versions had some good character acting.

The remake of Angel and the Badman with Lou Diamond Phillips was downright awful.

I will wait for it to arrive on regular TV.
    subroc

Article [I.]
    Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.
    Article [II.]
    A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

The remake of 310 To Yuma with Russell Crow & Batman was laughable compared to the original with Glen Ford and Van Heflin.
    Collecting more taxes than is absolutely necessary is legalized robbery. Calvin Coolidge

Bridges is certainly a respectable actor, he was really good in Gettysburg. I bet he'll to a good job, and will be well received by a younger crowd who has NOT seen the original. But I agree with most of the comments...once John Wayne puts his mark on a movie, its hard to even come close.
    God Bless PFC Jamie Harkness. The US Army's newest PFC, but still our neighbor's little girl!

BTW, TCM is showing the original 12/22/2010 at 8PM
    subroc

Article [I.]
    Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.
    Article [II.]
    A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

Are you kidding! Absolutely yes. If he were alive today John Wayne would be the first in line to see this movie. No doubt about it and I consider True Grit a Top 5 movie.

Have not seen the remake but I plan to...will keep an open mind ...but using a Boston boy like Matt Damon to play a Texas Ranger, gimme a break.. at least with Glen Campbell you had an Arkansas guitar picker trying to pull it off...one must remember that most of the John Wayne movies were written with him in mind ,he was made to be Rooster Cogburn...Jeff Bridges is one heck of a versatile actor so he might be able to pull it off
    All my Exes live in Texas

Quote Originally Posted by lanse brown View Post
    A few things that I learned still ring true. "Lanse when you get a gift, say thank you and walk away. When you get a screwing walk away. You are going to get a lot more screwings than gifts"

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Franco View Post
    The remake of 310 To Yuma with Russell Crow & Batman was laughable compared to the original with Glen Ford and Van Heflin.
    I thought 310 to Yuma with Crow was great. Never saw the original so I can't compare to that one. I'll have to get it.

Quote Originally Posted by BonMallari View Post
    Have not seen the remake but I plan to...will keep an open mind ...but using a Boston boy like Matt Damon to play a Texas Ranger, gimme a break.. at least with Glen Campbell you had an Arkansas guitar picker trying to pull it off...one must remember that most of the John Wayne movies were written with him in mind ,he was made to be Rooster Cogburn...Jeff Bridges is one heck of a versatile actor so he might be able to pull it off
    Yeah, if I had to pick a modern actor to try and pull it off, I would say Jeff Bridges, maybe Selleck or Duvall? But I don't think anyone can ever replace the Duke. Could be a good movie if they change it and the character enough so that direct comparisons are avoided.

Must be a slow day in the ole duck blind.
    M&K's HR UH Tucker of Texoma JH
    M&K's SHR Prime Black Angus
    M&K's Miss Jessie Girl JH
    Sir Jacob of Lakeview-Jake
    Freeway JYD

Mike Whitworth