The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media

View Poll Results: Gonna see it or not?

Voters
26. You may not vote on this poll
  • Hell yes! Its an awesome flick being remade with great actors

13 50.00%
  • Hell no! Its sacrilege to mess with a John Wayne classic!

13 50.00%
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: True Grit: Yeah or Nay

Quote Originally Posted by dnf777 View Post
    Yeah, if I had to pick a modern actor to try and pull it off, I would say Jeff Bridges, maybe Selleck or Duvall? But I don't think anyone can ever replace the Duke. Could be a good movie if they change it and the character enough so that direct comparisons are avoided.
    Cant use Robert Duvall...he was "Lucky Ned Pepper" in the original and delivered the line " ...that's mighty tough talk from a one eyed fat man...."

before Duke delivered his Academy Award winning response " fill your hand you sonof*****....."
    All my Exes live in Texas

Quote Originally Posted by lanse brown View Post
    A few things that I learned still ring true. "Lanse when you get a gift, say thank you and walk away. When you get a screwing walk away. You are going to get a lot more screwings than gifts"

the dialog in the original movie was outstanding.
    subroc

Article [I.]
    Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.
    Article [II.]
    A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

Quote Originally Posted by BonMallari View Post
    Cant use Robert Duvall...he was "Lucky Ned Pepper" in the original and delivered the line " ...that's mighty tough talk from a one eyed fat man...."

before Duke delivered his Academy Award winning response " fill your hand you sonof*****....."

Wow--I didn't realize that, but on close inspection.....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bSELRi1EoQk&NR=1
    God Bless PFC Jamie Harkness. The US Army's newest PFC, but still our neighbor's little girl!

Quote Originally Posted by depittydawg View Post
    I thought 310 to Yuma with Crow was great. Never saw the original so I can't compare to that one. I'll have to get it.
    The handgun shooting was very unrealistic. Russell Corw's gang never missed a shot in the entire movie and most of the time they weren't even looking at thier targets.
    It's such a shame that in the USA, defending Liberty has become such a heroic deed.

But guys…..
    The Coen Brothers rock!!!
    I will see it, I bet they’ve done a great job!

"So what is big is not always the Trout nor the Deer but the chance, the being there. And what is full is not necessarily the creel nor the freezer, but the memory." ~ Aldo Leopold

"The Greatest Obstacle to Discovery is not Ignorance -- It is the Illusion of Knowledge" ~ Daniel Boorstin

Banned

to me, the classic movies rock - but in those days acting was a different science that has evolved. back then it was still closer to a stage play on screen. people crossed the plains in crisp clean clothes. womens hair was always perfect. and every town was just one main street. and guns never kicked or ran out.

so to me a remake has its place, with time historic movies become more realistic given the more modern filming and acting techniques. whether it bombs or smashes, it will never undo what John Wayne did. but it has the potential to transform us into a frontier world that all we can ever do is imagine.

just think about a western movie in the 20's. then 40's, etc etc....all great in their own merit, then look at true grit. is it so unreal to improve on the genre even more?

so i welcome it!

Quote Originally Posted by david gibson View Post
    to me, the classic movies rock - but in those days acting was a different science that has evolved. back then it was still closer to a stage play on screen. people crossed the plains in crisp clean clothes. womens hair was always perfect. and every town was just one main street. and guns never kicked or ran out........
    ..........so i welcome it!
    I agree,
    I think Unforgiven broke that mold the best.
    One of Eastwoods best after Josie Wales.
    The guns didn’t go off and the mud and ugly was……
    Perfect!

"So what is big is not always the Trout nor the Deer but the chance, the being there. And what is full is not necessarily the creel nor the freezer, but the memory." ~ Aldo Leopold

"The Greatest Obstacle to Discovery is not Ignorance -- It is the Illusion of Knowledge" ~ Daniel Boorstin

IMHO there are a few Westerns that you just dont touch

1. High Noon

2. The Magnificent Seven

3. Tombstone

4. Outlaw Josey Wales

5. True Grit

6. Shane
    All my Exes live in Texas

Quote Originally Posted by lanse brown View Post
    A few things that I learned still ring true. "Lanse when you get a gift, say thank you and walk away. When you get a screwing walk away. You are going to get a lot more screwings than gifts"

[QUOTE=BonMallari;717230]IMHO there are a few Westerns that you just dont touch

The Shootist

The Man Who Shot Liberty Valence

Quigley Down Under (not quite in the same league, but close)
    God Bless PFC Jamie Harkness. The US Army's newest PFC, but still our neighbor's little girl!

I believe The Magnificent Seven was a remake of a Japanese movie, Seven Samurai.

I have no problem with remakes, I just don't believe some are very good. I expect the Coen Brothers will take away one of the key things that made True Grit exceptional, the dialog. The story and acting was very good, no doubt about it, but the dialog, in my view, sets it apart
    subroc

Article [I.]
    Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.
    Article [II.]
    A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.