The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media

View Poll Results: Gonna see it or not?

Voters
26. You may not vote on this poll
  • Hell yes! Its an awesome flick being remade with great actors

13 50.00%
  • Hell no! Its sacrilege to mess with a John Wayne classic!

13 50.00%
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: True Grit: Yeah or Nay

Quote Originally Posted by road kill View Post
    I am with you, check my tag line.....pilgrim!!

RK
    Not sure if it was a twist or an original, but Eddie Rickenbacker said, "Coruage is doing what your afraid to do. There can be no courage without fear".

Considering the contraptions he climbed into, not the mention people shooting at you all the while, that guy probably spoke from experience!
    God Bless PFC Jamie Harkness. The US Army's newest PFC, but still our neighbor's little girl!

Quote Originally Posted by dnf777 View Post
    Not sure if it was a twist or an original, but Eddie Rickenbacker said, "Coruage is doing what your afraid to do. There can be no courage without fear".

Considering the contraptions he climbed into, not the mention people shooting at you all the while, that guy probably spoke from experience!

A picture of "The Duke" from the movie "Hondo" hangs in my man-cave.
    I also have a framed picture of him from "Chisum," I think.
    Anyway, it is awesome.

Any of you see the movie "Appaloosa?"
    Very good.

BTW--Last night I saw "The Fighter."

WOW!!!

RK
    Stan b & Elvis

Quote Originally Posted by BonMallari View Post
    IMHO there are a few Westerns that you just dont touch

1. High Noon

2. The Magnificent Seven

3. Tombstone

4. Outlaw Josey Wales

5. True Grit

6. Shane
    I'll list 5 I really liked;

Red River - only John Wayne Western movie that was believeable.

Open Range - the Duvall/Costner combo really clicked with a solid story line.

Unforgiven - another real vs fantasy western. A lot of awesome characters in the movie.

Magnificent Seven - first rock n roll western! Eli Wallach as Soterro was cool!

Wild Bunch - Not a better cowboy actor out there than William Holden. He made a few Westerns and they were all good!
    Last edited by Franco; 12-26-2010 at 08:39 AM.
    Collecting more taxes than is absolutely necessary is legalized robbery. Calvin Coolidge

Quote Originally Posted by road kill View Post
    A picture of "The Duke" from the movie "Hondo" hangs in my man-cave.
    I also have a framed picture of him from "Chisum," I think.
    Anyway, it is awesome.

Any of you see the movie "Appaloosa?"
    Very good.

BTW--Last night I saw "The Fighter."

WOW!!!

RK
    I proudly admit I have a few Duke plates on display. Always wanted a full size movie cut-out, but they're not easy to find. He and Clint Eastwood would look good standing behind the bar.
    God Bless PFC Jamie Harkness. The US Army's newest PFC, but still our neighbor's little girl!

I proudly admit I have a few Duke plates on display. Always wanted a full size movie cut-out, but they're not easy to find. He and Clint Eastwood would look good standing behind the bar.
    The two best Eastwood Westerns in my book are Coogan's Bluff and Unforgiven. The other Westerns are aweful! I've tried to watch, Good, Bad and The Ugly but, it's agonizing!
    Collecting more taxes than is absolutely necessary is legalized robbery. Calvin Coolidge

Quote Originally Posted by Franco View Post
    The two best Eastwood Westerns in my book are Coogan's Bluff and Unforgiven. The other Westerns are aweful! I've tried to watch, Good, Bad and The Ugly but, it's agonizing!
    I think "Pale Rider" is decent.

And of course "get off my lawn!!"

RK
    Stan b & Elvis

Probably gonna break my dry streak of no movies for about 10 years, and go see this one in the theater. They're messin' with the Duke though...

" That, baby sister, is no trade"
    "But, it's enough that you know that I'll do what i have to do"

I got to admit I am thinking about going too. I might have your streak beat---last movie my wife was able to drag me too was Titanic
    John Stroh, Lodi ca

There are two spiritual dangers in not owning a farm. One is the danger of supposing that breakfast comes from the grocery, and the other that heat comes from the furnace…........If one has cut, split, hauled, and piled his own good oak, and let his mind work the while, he will remember much about where the heat comes from, and with a wealth of detail denied to those who spend the weekend in town astride a radiator.

Aldo Leopold

Quote Originally Posted by WALDMAN79 View Post
    YEAH, SO OUTSTANDING THEY COPIED MOST OF IT FOR THE REMAKE, SO MUCH FOR ORIGINALITY
    You do know that True Grit was a book by Charles Portis? I have not had the chance to read it but my understanding is that most of the dialog is taken from the book, not the original True Grit movie.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/True_Grit_%28novel%29
    Quote Originally Posted by WALDMAN79 View Post
    AMEN TO THAT! BUT IF YOU ABSOLUTELY HAD TO REMAKE TRUE GRIT, WHAT ABOUT KURT RUSSELL? WYATT EARP FROM TOMBSTONE + SNAKE PLISSKEN FROM ESCAPE FROM NEW YORK HAS GOT TO = A BETTER ROOSTER THAN THE DUDE FROM THE BIG LEBOWSKI!!
    I am not a big fan of The Big Lebowski but if you haven't had the chance to see Jeff Bridges in Crazy Heart then you should.

I will admit to you that I originally wasn't crazy about the idea of a Coens version of True Grit but now I can't wait to see it. Maybe this afternoon, I'll report back after.
    "The thing I admire about the rat tail is that it takes commitment. It's not like one day you just decide you want one, you have to grow out that bad boy and you have to repeatedly convince the hairdresser to trust you because it's a great idea."

Quote Originally Posted by BonMallari View Post
    IMHO there are a few Westerns that you just dont touch

1. High Noon - Yes, saw it several times

2. The Magnificent Seven

3. Tombstone

4. Outlaw Josey Wales

5. True Grit - Yes, liked Red River better

6. Shane - Yes, Alan Ladd was perfect for the part.
    To that list I would add "The Big Country", a western with a plot & well cast. "Bad Day at Black Rock" - Spencer Tracy, the stage stop scene is etched in my mind.

The issue I have with the western of today is there are no actors with the swagger of a real working cowboy - sheriff type. Too many girly men . John Wayne, Robert Mitchum, Charles Bronson, Clint Eastwood were guys that could be cast into believable roles & they had the right swagger.

Now if you want some really bad westerns, I go back to the days when you could watch Charles Mix, Hopalong Cassidy, Gene Autry, Roy Rogers in a spaghetti western for $.09 double feature matinee, first runs. & I did, a lot of them .

Marvin S

Everyone's friend is No One's friend

Someday your life will flash before your eyes. It's your responsibility to make sure it's worth watching!

Quote Originally Posted by Marvin S View Post
    Now if you want some really bad westerns, I go back to the days when you could watch Charles Mix, Hopalong Cassidy, Gene Autry, Roy Rogers in a spaghetti western for $.09 double feature matinee, first runs. & I did, a lot of them .
    You mean Tom Mixx?