The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media

View Poll Results: Gonna see it or not?

Voters
26. You may not vote on this poll
  • Hell yes! Its an awesome flick being remade with great actors

13 50.00%
  • Hell no! Its sacrilege to mess with a John Wayne classic!

13 50.00%
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: True Grit: Yeah or Nay

Went today to see it...

All I can say is, I must be "that" much younger than most of you....

It was good, not great..I have no reference point as I have not seen the origional, but if the dialogue is truly taken from the origional then most of you "Wayne" fans should like it. It was a time travel of the spoken english word that is for sure.

Words were actually pronounced, many of the words you would NEVER hear in a conversation today, much less a conversation while being shot at and in the company of a 14 year old girl while being shot at.

To me the 14 year old girl stole the movie, like I said I don't have a reference point but if, and it has to be a BIG if the origional young lady played her part as charismaticly as this young girl then she must have had some of the spotlight.

she was quick as a whip, smart as hell, and didn't take no lip...she was determined, tough as nails, and when she told you she ment to see it to the end boy, you had to believe her....

I hope this helps, I wont go on about parts from the movie, because I hate it when people do that...

Was it worth the money, I dont know, without a background in "Wayne" then I just as easily could have waited I think.

NCA

Quote Originally Posted by Marvin S View Post
    Clint Eastwood were guys that could be cast into believable roles & they had the right swagger.

Now if you want some really bad westerns, I go back to the days when you could watch Charles Mix, Hopalong Cassidy, Gene Autry, Roy Rogers in a spaghetti western for $.09 double feature matinee, first runs. & I did, a lot of them .
    Marvin, I'm going to correct you a bit here. Not really a big deal but the actors you mention were acting much earlier than the spaghetti westerns. Spaghetti westerns are from the late 60's and Clint Eastwood is probably the most famous actor(at least that I can think of) that was in them. The "spaghetti" name comes from the Italian directors of the films.
    "The thing I admire about the rat tail is that it takes commitment. It's not like one day you just decide you want one, you have to grow out that bad boy and you have to repeatedly convince the hairdresser to trust you because it's a great idea."

All this talk about older movies and in particular westerns gave me the urg to hunt for one I would like to watch again. My search did not help me find one to buy but if I remember correctly the horse's name was "Smokey" and that may have been the name of the movie. I think the story may have been based on a Will James book. Anyway my search may have yielded the year that it came out.......1946. Some of the old ones were very good.

Started one of the books that Hubby received as a Christmas present ...."The Greatest Hunting Stories Ever Told". Some are fiction and some are true. It's got a few really good ones, some okay ones and one that I did not care for ( so far that is ). I turned to the Peter Hathaway-Capstick story first and even though it is in a book that we already have it is still a good one.

Quote Originally Posted by achiro View Post
    Marvin, I'm going to correct you a bit here. Not really a big deal but the actors you mention were acting much earlier than the spaghetti westerns. Spaghetti westerns are from the late 60's and Clint Eastwood is probably the most famous actor(at least that I can think of) that was in them. The "spaghetti" name comes from the Italian directors of the films.
    Russ, I am familiar with where the term "spaghetti" came from, but I thought it was because of the locale where the films were made. What I was inferring to in my post was the low budget western that was common when I was a little guy. All inexpensive & followed the same plot line. I have 16 cubic feet of western paperbacks that generally do the same thing, but I still read & reread them .

I believe this all changed with John Huston's epics. Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but they were larger budget with more headliners per movie.

While in the service had a GF who's cousin had been a featured model & had a movie part written for her - I believe one of those larger budget type westerns. She had a problem getting up in the morning as she liked her booze, so Jennifer Jones (her 1st big role) was moved into the part. Can't remember that movie but do remember JJ in "Love is a Many Splendored Thing" walking up the hill in the sack dress - pure fully clothed sexual fantasy!!!!!!!!!

Anyway, it was Tom Mix not Charles but I left "The Lone Ranger" & his trusty sidekick, Tonto out. Most memorable line not from their movies was
    "Hi Ho Silver everywhere,
    Tonto lost his underwear,
    Tonto say me not care,
    Lone Ranger buy me another pair."

With that little piece of old style wit I leave this post .

Marvin S

Everyone's friend is No One's friend

Someday your life will flash before your eyes. It's your responsibility to make sure it's worth watching!

Quote Originally Posted by Nor_Cal_Angler View Post
    Went today to see it...

All I can say is, I must be "that" much younger than most of you....

It was good, not great..I have no reference point as I have not seen the origional, but if the dialogue is truly taken from the origional then most of you "Wayne" fans should like it. It was a time travel of the spoken english word that is for sure.

Words were actually pronounced, many of the words you would NEVER hear in a conversation today, much less a conversation while being shot at and in the company of a 14 year old girl while being shot at.

To me the 14 year old girl stole the movie, like I said I don't have a reference point but if, and it has to be a BIG if the origional young lady played her part as charismaticly as this young girl then she must have had some of the spotlight.

she was quick as a whip, smart as hell, and didn't take no lip...she was determined, tough as nails, and when she told you she ment to see it to the end boy, you had to believe her....

I hope this helps, I wont go on about parts from the movie, because I hate it when people do that...

Was it worth the money, I dont know, without a background in "Wayne" then I just as easily could have waited I think.

NCA
    "My name is Mattie Ross, of Near Dardanelle in Yell County. My family owns property and I don't know why I'm being treated like this!"

"Those horses can't outrun Little Blackie! They're loaded down with fat men and iron!"

and my favorite,

"I want Tom Chaney hanged for killing my father! It's little to me how many dogs and senators he's killed in Texas."

I'm going to see it tomorrow.

Quote Originally Posted by Goose View Post
    "My name is Mattie Ross, of Near Dardanelle in Yell County. My family owns property and I don't know why I'm being treated like this!"

"Those horses can't outrun Little Blackie! They're loaded down with fat men and iron!"

and my favorite,

"I want Tom Chaney hanged for killing my father! It's little to me how many dogs and senators he's killed in Texas."

I'm going to see it tomorrow.
    The two I highlighted are word for word, I do remember both....but the outrunning little blackie one, I dont quite remember...either there is a similiar line or its not in there at all.

I will say that she was GOOD!!!...she had me convinced she was either gonna watch Tom hang or she was gonna see him dead by her own hand....

The sceene where Rooster says to meet him in the morning and they would leave and then he ditches her, and she has it in her mind that she was gonna go and decides NOTHING is gonna stop her sold me on her determination....she took that horse right across in to the "territory"

NCA

Quote Originally Posted by Nor_Cal_Angler View Post
    The two I highlighted are word for word, I do remember both....but the outrunning little blackie one, I dont quite remember...either there is a similiar line or its not in there at all.

I will say that she was GOOD!!!...she had me convinced she was either gonna watch Tom hang or she was gonna see him dead by her own hand....

The sceene where Rooster says to meet him in the morning and they would leave and then he ditches her, and she has it in her mind that she was gonna go and decides NOTHING is gonna stop her sold me on her determination....she took that horse right across in to the "territory"

NCA
    that is the line she delivers when they ditch her at the ferry crossing after she and her horse have swam the river
    All my Exes live in Texas

Quote Originally Posted by lanse brown View Post
    A few things that I learned still ring true. "Lanse when you get a gift, say thank you and walk away. When you get a screwing walk away. You are going to get a lot more screwings than gifts"

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by BonMallari View Post
    that is the line she delivers when they ditch her at the ferry crossing after she and her horse have swam the river
    that was a weak point in the movie. she swims the horse across the river, and when on the other side she is not dripping wet and looks almost dry, maybe a little damp and thats all.

and when she climbs the tree all the way to the hanging limb. huh? when a man was hung you tossed the rope over the limb, hoisted him up, then tied the rope off somewhere lower. to climb to where she did would imply they climbed up there and pulled him up and tied onto that limb. once more, once up there, you can see the trailing rope off at an angle..

just the little things that bug me

Quote Originally Posted by BonMallari View Post
    Ok, well that part of the movie happened to be the part that sold me on her determination...So are you saying that the line I am not familiar is the one said in the origional....or you saw the new one and its there too.

I do not recall her saying that...she swims..rather holds on to blackie and the mounts comming out of the water and I dont remember her saying that line, if I remember correctly she doesnt say anything becasue they see her swimming and stop to wait...she rides up to them and they all kinda have a stare off thingy and then I think she opens up and gets after Rooster, something about reporting him for stealing her money, if he intended on leaving her behinde. And then Lebeef gets after Rooster, and calls him a wetnurse (obviouse pun) for caving into her and allowing her to trail along.

NCA

Watched it this afternoon. I thought it was fantastic. Many of the lines are the same but like I said before, they are both from the same book so it is to be expected.
    I'm going to put it up there in at least my top 10 westerns of all time.
    "The thing I admire about the rat tail is that it takes commitment. It's not like one day you just decide you want one, you have to grow out that bad boy and you have to repeatedly convince the hairdresser to trust you because it's a great idea."