The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Gun Dog Broker
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: Mr. Jones Made His Point

Does anyone have stats that show how many crimes have been prevented/stopped by people exercising their right to carry?

Quote Originally Posted by ducknwork View Post
    Does anyone have stats that show how many crimes have been prevented/stopped by people exercising their right to carry?
    I'm looking. I'm sure its significant. Not because people brandished their gun and scared off an perp (although I'm sure that happens) but moreso because when carrying, many will be more aware of their environment, and avoid a situation that would require the use of their CW in the first place. I know when I carry, I am hyper-vigilant to avoid any trouble.
    God Bless PFC Jamie Harkness. The US Army's newest PFC, but still our neighbor's little girl!

Quote Originally Posted by dnf777 View Post
    I'm looking. I'm sure its significant. Not because people brandished their gun and scared off an perp (although I'm sure that happens) but moreso because when carrying, many will be more aware of their environment, and avoid a situation that would require the use of their CW in the first place. I know when I carry, I am hyper-vigilant to avoid any trouble.
    Maybe you should carry when on POTUS.
    M&K's HR UH Tucker of Texoma JH
    M&K's SHR Prime Black Angus
    M&K's Miss Jessie Girl JH
    Sir Jacob of Lakeview-Jake
    Freeway JYD

Mike Whitworth

Quote Originally Posted by ducknwork View Post
    Even if we can find some numbers I don't think they'll be anywhere near the actuals, though just reading "The Armed Citizen" in the NRA magazines shows it's pretty common and widespread. Just an example, in the Rodney King riots, my carpool buddy and I were approached by a group of about 12 angry looking black men while stopped at a red light while trying to get home. My partner pointed the 870 we had with us out his window and the group stopped it's progress. Light turned green, cross traffic stopped and we were outta there!!
    No "incident", nothing to report, no statistic.

Also jmtc, along with what DNF said, when you're carrying you have (or at least should have) what Jeff Cooper called "the combat mindset". You're more alert for trouble, not acting like a "sheep" and that alone can deter some problems with "goblins" before they ever get started so no stats there either.

Fwiw, I think a more telling statistic could be comparing assault/robbery report rates between neighboring carry/non-carry states.
    "It's not that government is inherently stupid, although that's a debatable question."
    Rand Paul CPAC speech 2011

I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it. Thomas Jefferson to Archibald Stuart, 1791