The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Gun Dog Broker
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: Mr. Jones Made His Point

Quote Originally Posted by BrianW View Post
    I just hope Dave, for your (and family's) sake, that you never get in the situation where you wish you had one, and don't.

And while I agree with Ken on Vermont's carry policy, I'm glad I live in a 'shall issue" state.
    Just wish that CWP's were given the same recognition as driver's licenses in all 50 states instead of just those with "reciprocity agreements".
    In NM, and AZ, open carry is still the law. You can get a concealed carry permit in both states, but why jump thru the hoops? Strap it on, wear it were you want...Bars, banks, and other restrictions still apply though.
    I have customers come into the store in full open carry at the same time there are LEO's. Never a second glance.
    I think a sidearm in full view is more of a deterant than, Oh, he might be armed...JD
    One cannot reason someone out of something they were not reasoned into. - Jonathan Swift

Quote Originally Posted by JDogger View Post
    In NM, and AZ, open carry is still the law. You can get a concealed carry permit in both states, but why jump thru the hoops? Strap it on, wear it were you want...Bars, banks, and other restrictions still apply though.
    I have customers come into the store in full open carry at the same time there are LEO's. Never a second glance.
    I think a sidearm in full view is more of a deterant than, Oh, he might be armed...JD
    I agree but that will never fly even in Texas.
    M&K's HR UH Tucker of Texoma JH
    M&K's SHR Prime Black Angus
    M&K's Miss Jessie Girl JH
    Sir Jacob of Lakeview-Jake
    Freeway JYD

Mike Whitworth

Quote Originally Posted by M&K's Retrievers View Post
    http://www.associatedcontent.com/art...and.html?cat=7

Interesting, JD
    One cannot reason someone out of something they were not reasoned into. - Jonathan Swift

When I left Texas in '88, they still didn't have a CWP law. I suppose they got one since?
    Pennsylvania has always had one, although until somewhere in the 80s, it was difficult to obtain. Now, they sheriff has to prove why you SHOULDN'T have one, otherwise the issuance is almost automatic. There is a background check, with I think is reasonable and prudent.
    Last edited by dnf777; 12-14-2010 at 05:11 AM.
    God Bless PFC Jamie Harkness. The US Army's newest PFC, but still our neighbor's little girl!

IYou can get a concealed carry permit in both states, but why jump thru the hoops? Strap it on, wear it were you want...

Being able to carry concealed gives one a little more flexibility, and sometimes comfort, like having it in your jacket while driving rather than on your leg.

True, but it's also more of a target to be shot at first!
    Plus, having one under wraps doesn't let the perp know that "the coast is clear" now that you're down on the floor with one in your back and a Model 29 strapped to your side. That "soccer mom" still in the checkout line just might have a .38+P LadySmith in her purse!
    "It's not that government is inherently stupid, although that's a debatable question."
    Rand Paul CPAC speech 2011

I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it. Thomas Jefferson to Archibald Stuart, 1791

I'm with Dogger on this. Why do I need to pay the government for a permit to carry a weapon when the constitution already gives me that right. I would be alot less apt to approach a fellow with a pistol strapped to his side in plain view versus a guy that might have one under his fully zipped up coat.
    RIP SGT. David Blake Williams KIA 22 Mar 2008 Iraq

Every day should be Veteran's day.

"They say War is Hell, but I have to disagree. War is easy. It's the living afterwards thats hell." Author Unknown

Happiness (is a warm gun) momma. -J. Lennon

Quote Originally Posted by dnf777 View Post
    When I left Texas in '88, they still didn't have a CWP law. I suppose they got one since?
    Pennsylvania has always had one, although until somewhere in the 80s, it was difficult to obtain. Now, they sheriff has to prove why you SHOULDN'T have one, otherwise the issuance is almost automatic. There is a background check, with I think is reasonable and prudent.
    Texas passed concealed carry several years ago. I understand that in 2009 HB 1815 was passed that allows loaded handguns in your auto and on you way to and from the auto but it must be concealed. What seems odd is that apparently you are not required to notify a police officer of the weapon unless you have a concealed carry permit. This is what I found on ALGORE's Information Highway. My son-in-law the Rowlett, TX cop confirms this as accurate.
    M&K's HR UH Tucker of Texoma JH
    M&K's SHR Prime Black Angus
    M&K's Miss Jessie Girl JH
    Sir Jacob of Lakeview-Jake
    Freeway JYD

Mike Whitworth

Texas passed concealed carry several years ago. I understand that in 2009 HB 1815 was passed that allows loaded handguns in your auto and on you way to and from the auto but it must be concealed. What seems odd is that apparently you are not required to notify a police officer of the weapon unless you have a concealed carry permit. This is what I found on ALGORE's Information Highway. My son-in-law the Rowlett, TX cop confirms this as accurate.
    Yeah, when I left, you couldn't carry a gun, but you could drink and drive, so long as you weren't drunk. Probably not a bad thing really, if you think about it. I remember when they passed their first open container law...I thought I'd rather have guys having one or two while driving home, than stopping at a bar on the way home and having 10!

Far as I know, in Pa there is no law to require disclosure. If they ask, I will answer honestly. I just don't feel compelled to tell him every legal act I'm committing as I sit on the side of the road. I always have a buck folding knife in my glove box. I don't volunteer that info either.
    God Bless PFC Jamie Harkness. The US Army's newest PFC, but still our neighbor's little girl!

One of the guys that is the night janitor where I work wears a sidearm in full view...comes in at about 8 oclock to start cleaning..about an hour before we close...I have never seen him not wear it...no one has ever paid much attn to it or commented on it. LOL...of course this is Alaska...

If you get pulled over by troopers up here you are required to tell them if you have a concealed weapon.

Juli
    God answers prayers all the time. Even the ones we don't know we asked. God is Good (always)

"There are only two ways to live your life.
    One is as though nothing is a miracle.
    The other is as though everything is a miracle."

- Albert Einstein