The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: One Muslim Woman

Hmmm...there I go being 'too young' again...

Quote Originally Posted by ducknwork View Post
    Hmmm...there I go being 'too young' again...
    LOL! No, Duck, you're NEVER too young!

Birth control pills were also off-limits back then. And condoms still are ... although the Pope recently made an exception for preventing spread of AIDS in Africa.

The birth control pills restriction caused changes to take place around the late 70s, early 80s. Individual dioceses were tacitly allowed to counsel their parishoners as their conscience dictated.

Back in the late 60's Sunday afternoon masses were added. Now you can fulfill your Sunday obligation on Saturday night as well. (There are some Moravian congregations that consider Saturday the Sabbath day ... adopted from the original Sabbath day observed by Christ since he was a Jew. They hold their worship services on Saturday, even though they are a Christian denomination.) Here again, the concept and the rules sometimes differ.

So, there have been some significant changes in the "rules" that were man-made. Sometimes I think that religions are like secular "governments" ... there are basic concepts (like our Constitution), but bureaucracies sometimes get more involved in the "rules & regulations" than the original concepts.
    G.Clinchy@gmail.com
    "Know in your heart that all things are possible. We couldn't conceive of a miracle if none ever happened." -Libby Fudim

​I don't use the PM feature, so just email me direct at the address shown above.

Quote Originally Posted by Gerry Clinchy View Post
    LOL! No, Duck, you're NEVER too young!

Birth control pills were also off-limits back then. And condoms still are ... although the Pope recently made an exception for preventing spread of AIDS in Africa.

The birth control pills restriction caused changes to take place around the late 70s, early 80s. Individual dioceses were tacitly allowed to counsel their parishoners as their conscience dictated.

Back in the late 60's Sunday afternoon masses were added. Now you can fulfill your Sunday obligation on Saturday night as well. (There are some Moravian congregations that consider Saturday the Sabbath day ... adopted from the original Sabbath day observed by Christ since he was a Jew. They hold their worship services on Saturday, even though they are a Christian denomination.) Here again, the concept and the rules sometimes differ.

So, there have been some significant changes in the "rules" that were man-made. Sometimes I think that religions are like secular "governments" ... there are basic concepts (like our Constitution), but bureaucracies sometimes get more involved in the "rules & regulations" than the original concepts.
    There is a fascinating story behind the development and marketing of the pill. Its developer was a devout Catholic and predicted the church's response. His counter argument, very respectfully made BTW, was that in cultures more closely aligned with the "natural order" of things, women start getting pregnant soon after menarche, and on average have many pregnancies. So, over her entire menstrating life, she may have only less than 100 periods. In our western society, even w/o the pill, women limit their pregnancies to around 2-6, depending. This subjects the ovaries to many more ovulations, disruptions of the ovarian epithelium, and predisposes to cancer. The statistics bear this out. Women who have more children, beginning at a younger age, have lower rates of breast and ovarian cancer.

He argued that by inducing a "simulated pregnancy" (which is what the pill does) it merely replicates a more natural condition....and that our western norms are the un-natural state.

He was clever, and went so far as to arrange and market the pill in 4 week cycles, including a placebo to allow menstration, in keeping with Biblical reference, and also to appear more "normal". THAT, ladies, is the reason birth control pills come in 4 week cycles. There is no medical reason to allow a period to occur, other than the good doctor thought it would assuage the church's concerns. (ever notice norplant and depo-provera, and now the newer oral pills have no periods with them?
    God Bless PFC Jamie Harkness. The US Army's newest PFC, but still our neighbor's little girl!

Interesting post dnf.

Quote Originally Posted by dnf777 View Post
    (ever notice norplant and depo-provera, and now the newer oral pills have no periods with them?
    I have noticed that and it seems somewhat disturbing to me. I thought that a period was a way that the body cleansed itself on a regular basis. Call me old school, but it just seems unhealthy and frankly, kinda scary to mess with the natural processes of your body.

Quote Originally Posted by ducknwork View Post
    Interesting post dnf.

I have noticed that and it seems somewhat disturbing to me. I thought that a period was a way that the body cleansed itself on a regular basis. Call me old school, but it just seems unhealthy and frankly, kinda scary to mess with the natural processes of your body.

Well, there is a valid argument that the "natural process" is to be pregnant from menarche to menopause, except when a woman's body says "no" during breast feeding. There is certainly a significantly higher rate of breast and ovarian cancer in western societies where women limit their fecundity. Actually, subjecting one's ovaries to over 400 menses is abnormal.

Taking antibiotics is also messing with natural processes. I'm just sayin' that we interfere with nature all the time, and its usually a good thing. Or at least we think so.
    God Bless PFC Jamie Harkness. The US Army's newest PFC, but still our neighbor's little girl!

I thought the no meat on Fridays was due to pressure from the fishermans lobby