The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: The Dream Act

Quote Originally Posted by sandyg View Post
    You do realize how dumb this sounds, don't you? It's like saying you would rather go to a Jewish doctor than a black doctor who only got into medical school because of affirmative action admission policies.

I would rather go to ANY doctor who got his degree through merit based education, than ANY doctor who was passed through the system based on AA.

Yes, I'm the one who sounds dumb here.
    God Bless PFC Jamie Harkness. The US Army's newest PFC, but still our neighbor's little girl!

Quote Originally Posted by depittydawg View Post
    Wow, you mean Obama didn't come through on his promises? What a shocking revelation.
    Not at all. "Not coming through" would have been if they didn't introduce the legislation at all.
    They tried and it failed, this time. Note that the Dem's are determined to keep trying though.

Remember, we're not (in this case) talking about the kids born here of illegal aliens, that's a bad enough situation all by itself. These children are already citizens of Mexico, Guatemala, El Salvador, China, Haiti, etc even if this country is all they remember. How can anyone argue that they "don't have any connection to their home country".
    Once these young adults become citizens, then it's just a simple extension of the current policy of not splitting up the family of kids born here, to make it impossible to deport the parents, making it a double reward for an illegal act.
    "It's not that government is inherently stupid, although that's a debatable question."
    Rand Paul CPAC speech 2011

I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it. Thomas Jefferson to Archibald Stuart, 1791

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by dnf777 View Post
    I don't think we're restricted in our religious preferences at all. There are over 100,000 churches you can freely choose to attend or not attend.

As for women in combat, I'll stand next to you as the flame throwers are aimed at us. I agree. I'll also go so far as to say I don't think women should be police on the beat, or firemen.......UNLESS they can pass a practical, job and safety-based physical requirement.

If I have to hand my 7 year old to a person with only three points of contact on a ladder 30 feet in the air, I'd rather it be a man than a woman who got the job only after a court anti-discrimination ruling. I haven't heard a parent yet who would argue with that!
    thats not what RK said - he was referring to professing your religion openly. and he is right - it is accepted to stand up in city council and announce you are gay, but let a councilman announce he is christian and there will be an uproar - especially in blue areas. not saying i agree or disagree, but thats the case more and more.

i am sure there are many strong and tough gay men that can hold their own in a battlefield, no doubt, but i also think they are the exception. venturing in to the montrose district in houston and seeing the openly gay people there you would shudder to think of any of them on the front.

Back to the original topic...The Dream Act.

This is just another Lib attempt for Amnesty.

More legislation that US Citizens did not ask for, do not want and do not want to pay for!
    “The end of democracy and the defeat of the American Revolution will occur when government falls into the hands of lending institutions and moneyed incorporations.” –Thomas Jefferson

Quote Originally Posted by david gibson View Post
    thats not what RK said - he was referring to professing your religion openly. and he is right - it is accepted to stand up in city council and announce you are gay, but let a councilman announce he is christian and there will be an uproar - especially in blue areas. not saying i agree or disagree, but thats the case more and more.

i am sure there are many strong and tough gay men that can hold their own in a battlefield, no doubt, but i also think they are the exception. venturing in to the montrose district in houston and seeing the openly gay people there you would shudder to think of any of them on the front.
    As for not being able to profess being a Christian, please cite an example. Not really sure what purpose that serves at a council meeting anyway. In church yes, at a meeting about city budgets, not so sure.

Don't know if it is still the cool thing to do, but back in HS, everybody used to head to montrose to people watch and hang out. that was before Cathy Whitmire, though, so I'm sure its different now. I agree, there are plenty of gays who I could not see in combat. There are also plenty of straight folks too. Lots of whites, blacks, Hispanics, Christians, Jews, I can't see in combat. But as far as I know, NONE of those groups can be discriminated against IF they WANT to serve.

Fact is, there HAVE been thousands of gays who have proudly and honorably served in combat in every war we've ever fought. Until now, they had to hide their identity, and pretend to be something they're not. I frankly don't see what the fuss is all about, except as I've said before, the homophobes who are closet homos themselves, may fear they'll be outed by temptation?
    God Bless PFC Jamie Harkness. The US Army's newest PFC, but still our neighbor's little girl!

Quote Originally Posted by Franco View Post

More legislation that US Citizens did not ask for, do not want and do not want to pay for!
    Why is amnesty attributed to lib ideals? I believe it was the father of modern conservatism, Ronald Reagan, who put amnesty into our system!

I agree with your second comment.

Quote Originally Posted by dnf777 View Post
    As for not being able to profess being a Christian, please cite an example. Not really sure what purpose that serves at a council meeting anyway. In church yes, at a meeting about city budgets, not so sure.

Don't know if it is still the cool thing to do, but back in HS, everybody used to head to montrose to people watch and hang out. that was before Cathy Whitmire, though, so I'm sure its different now. I agree, there are plenty of gays who I could not see in combat. There are also plenty of straight folks too. Lots of whites, blacks, Hispanics, Christians, Jews, I can't see in combat. But as far as I know, NONE of those groups can be discriminated against IF they WANT to serve.

Fact is, there HAVE been thousands of gays who have proudly and honorably served in combat in every war we've ever fought. Until now, they had to hide their identity, and pretend to be something they're not. I frankly don't see what the fuss is all about, except as I've said before, the homophobes who are closet homos themselves, may fear they'll be outed by temptation?
    On that note what does being gay have to do with being in the military. Libs (not saying you are doing this) try and use the emotional argument that gays aren't allowed to serve which isn't at all true. They just can't say they are gay and no one can ask about it. I fail to see why that is a big issue but its done i have no real opinion other than that.

On to the dream act. I say if children of illegal immigrants want to serve as infantry and infantry only then that is fine but I completely disagree with paying them to go to school. The reason I say only infantry is because they won't be able to get clearance to do any of the other jobs.

There is no way in hell we should be paying them to go to school and then granting them citizenship. If they want to pay their own way to a masters then I would be fine with it actually but to allow citizenship because you went to college for 2 years is ridiculous.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Franco View Post

the biggest problem Reps had with it was its potential future use to get in other relatives - i have no problem with granting citizenship to one who puts in 4 yrs of military service, but not his brother or cousin or (gay lover? lol) whoever else he wants to sneak over and support. if they could totally lock that possibility out it would be doable, not sure why they didnt try harder.

I guess if Neil & Bob want to serve, let them serve.

And make sure we all know they are bunkmates!!

RK
    Stan b & Elvis

Quote Originally Posted by david gibson View Post

I don't think you or RK are correct on this issue [as well as others]; can either of you cite an example where anyone got in trouble for saying they are Christian [or whatever]