The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 41

Thread: Police State

  1. #1
    Senior Member Hoosier's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    864

    Default Police State

    A friend of mine was over yesterday. He's a software engineer and works for the Bureau of Criminal Apprehension. He was telling me that part of his job is to maintain a system that scans license plates and runs checks on cars. The kind police use, that scan plates as they drive down the road. He says now if you pull into a Wal Mart or Target parking lot your plates will be read by sensors on the light poles, and a check is ran.
    He was defending it as a great way to find stolen cars, but seems really intrusive and unnecessary to me.

  2. #2
    Senior Member road kill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    New Berlin, WI
    Posts
    10,910

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Hoosier View Post
    A friend of mine was over yesterday. He's a software engineer and works for the Bureau of Criminal Apprehension. He was telling me that part of his job is to maintain a system that scans license plates and runs checks on cars. The kind police use, that scan plates as they drive down the road. He says now if you pull into a Wal Mart or Target parking lot your plates will be read by sensors on the light poles, and a check is ran.
    He was defending it as a great way to find stolen cars, but seems really intrusive and unnecessary to me.

    Probable cause????



    RK
    Stan b & Elvis

  3. #3
    Senior Member M&K's Retrievers's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Rockwall, TX
    Posts
    5,287

    Default

    Better not be scanning an illegal alien's car.
    M&K's HR UH Tucker of Texoma JH
    M&K's SHR Prime Black Angus
    M&K's Miss Jessie Girl JH
    Sir Jacob of Lakeview-Jake
    Freeway JYD

    Mike Whitworth

  4. #4
    Senior Member dnf777's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Western Pa
    Posts
    6,161

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Hoosier View Post
    A friend of mine was over yesterday. He's a software engineer and works for the Bureau of Criminal Apprehension. He was telling me that part of his job is to maintain a system that scans license plates and runs checks on cars. The kind police use, that scan plates as they drive down the road. He says now if you pull into a Wal Mart or Target parking lot your plates will be read by sensors on the light poles, and a check is ran.
    He was defending it as a great way to find stolen cars, but seems really intrusive and unnecessary to me.
    1984 is here. Big Brother is watching you.
    And its all under the guise of patriotism and your own safety!


    We live in Oceania now.
    Last edited by dnf777; 12-19-2010 at 03:20 PM.
    God Bless PFC Jamie Harkness. The US Army's newest PFC, but still our neighbor's little girl!

  5. #5
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Wetumpka, AL
    Posts
    3,019

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by road kill View Post
    Probable cause????



    RK
    Probable cause? What would be the basis of that?

    The license plate is a funny beast. Technically it isn't owned by you but rather it is issued to you by the state in order to identify both the vehicle and the scoflaws who don't pay their taxes. (Witness the states that require you to turn in the plates when you sell the vehicle.) They're using the license plate just as it was designed and just as the police do everywhere. The only difference is that a computer is pattern matching at a higher rate of speed.

    Eric

  6. #6
    Banned
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Oregon
    Posts
    1,347

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by road kill View Post
    Probable cause????



    RK
    Not sure how Probable Cause weighs in. One could argue that probable cause is determined by the incidental monitoring which discovers a suspected stolen vehicle. At that point probable cause exists and a search is warranted.

  7. #7
    Senior Member road kill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    New Berlin, WI
    Posts
    10,910

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by depittydawg View Post
    Not sure how Probable Cause weighs in. One could argue that probable cause is determined by the incidental monitoring which discovers a suspected stolen vehicle. At that point probable cause exists and a search is warranted.

    So, if officer A suspects you might have a joint in your pocket, can he stop you?

    Then why can officer B run your plate without probable cause?


    Ain't gonna fly if an illegal alien or a Muslim terrorist get caught.


    Just sayin'.....


    RK
    Stan b & Elvis

  8. #8
    Senior Member luvmylabs23139's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    North Carolina
    Posts
    3,818

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Hoosier View Post
    A friend of mine was over yesterday. He's a software engineer and works for the Bureau of Criminal Apprehension. He was telling me that part of his job is to maintain a system that scans license plates and runs checks on cars. The kind police use, that scan plates as they drive down the road. He says now if you pull into a Wal Mart or Target parking lot your plates will be read by sensors on the light poles, and a check is ran.
    He was defending it as a great way to find stolen cars, but seems really intrusive and unnecessary to me.
    How is this any different than liscense checks in certain states? I'm driving along doing nothing wrong yet they can set up a road block in NC and check my liscense. There is no probable cause. I went thru the same check 6 times today on the backroad that is rarely traveled by anyone but those who live in the area.
    They hit hit us to and from church, to and from the gym, and to and from Christmas errands.
    Hihope Hiland Heathen of Perth CD, RE, CGC, TDI

  9. #9
    Senior Member Hoosier's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    864

    Default

    I really wonder how many times, on an average day, we are tracked in some way by the government

  10. #10
    Senior Member dnf777's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Western Pa
    Posts
    6,161

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by road kill View Post
    So, if officer A suspects you might have a joint in your pocket, can he stop you?

    Then why can officer B run your plate without probable cause?


    Ain't gonna fly if an illegal alien or a Muslim terrorist get caught.


    Just sayin'.....


    RK

    I think the question is: Do you have an expectation of privacy driving down a public road with your license place hanging off your bumper?

    I doubt it.

    Where was this concern with warrantless wiretapping and email surveillance?
    My phone and email are two areas where I DO expect some privacy. (but I don't count on it anymore)
    God Bless PFC Jamie Harkness. The US Army's newest PFC, but still our neighbor's little girl!

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •