The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Police State

Quote Originally Posted by dnf777 View Post
    I think the question is: Do you have an expectation of privacy driving down a public road with your license place hanging off your bumper?

I doubt it.

Where was this concern with warrantless wiretapping and email surveillance?
    My phone and email are two areas where I DO expect some privacy. (but I don't count on it anymore
    )
    I thought we were talking about the license plate scanning.

RK
    Stan b & Elvis

Quote Originally Posted by road kill View Post
    I thought we were talking about the license plate scanning.

RK
    I thought we were talking about government intrusion into our privacy, in the broader sense.

I don't like it either, but driving on a public road, I don't have an expectation of privacy, other than IN my vehicle or on my person. (or on my cell phone)

You do realize, you've probably had your plates run many times, and just don't know it, don't you? This is the same principle, different technology.
    God Bless PFC Jamie Harkness. The US Army's newest PFC, but still our neighbor's little girl!

I thought we were talking about government intrusion into our privacy, in the broader sense.

I don't like it either, but driving on a public road, I don't have an expectation of privacy, other than IN my vehicle or on my person. (or on my cell phone)

You do realize, you've probably had your plates run many times, and just don't know it, don't you? This is the same principle, different technology.
    It has gone beyond driving down a public road. Now they are doing it in business parking lots. Why the hell do they need to know when I go to Target.

Wal-Mart and Target parking lots are private property.

Quote Originally Posted by Hoosier View Post
    It has gone beyond driving down a public road. Now they are doing it in business parking lots. Why the hell do they need to know when I go to Target.
    It is not actually the police who are doing this surveillance, rather it is the loss control company at the malls and shopping centers. They are looking primarily for stolen cars, as the car thiefs also tend to like to do purse snatching, and smash and grabs from vehicles in the parking lot - stolen car not as easy to trace back to the thieves if someone does happen to get a good description. However if loss prevention can id a car as stolen as they drive into the parking lot...

T. Mac

I really wonder how many times, on an average day, we are tracked in some way by the government
    do you have a Google account, or an Amazon account, notice how the choices on Google News or the choices on Amazon are based on the sites and type of info that you surf on the net..look at the cookies that are stored in our computers...our habits on the computer are very easy to track...hmmmm
    All my Exes live in Texas

Quote Originally Posted by lanse brown View Post
    A few things that I learned still ring true. "Lanse when you get a gift, say thank you and walk away. When you get a screwing walk away. You are going to get a lot more screwings than gifts"

I really wonder how many times, on an average day, we are tracked in some way by the government

I think that would depend upon where you live. pretty sure we don't have any hidden cameras or license plate scanners in Tok. LOL heck, we don't even have a stop light. LOL

Juli
    God answers prayers all the time. Even the ones we don't know we asked. God is Good (always)

"There are only two ways to live your life.
    One is as though nothing is a miracle.
    The other is as though everything is a miracle."

- Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by Rudd View Post
    Wal-Mart and Target parking lots are private property.
    Legally yes. But a road or parking lot, same idea. Look, I don't like it, but it ain't going away. Phone taps, computer profiling, email interdiction, security cameras..... Its all part of the 911 mentality, when we really started giving up privacy and rights in the name of security. Didn't like it then, don't like it now.

We live in Oceania now.
    God Bless PFC Jamie Harkness. The US Army's newest PFC, but still our neighbor's little girl!

Legally yes. But a road or parking lot, same idea. Look, I don't like it, but it ain't going away. Phone taps, computer profiling, email interdiction, security cameras..... Its all part of the 911 mentality, when we really started giving up privacy and rights in the name of security. Didn't like it then, don't like it now.

We live in Oceania now.

The mark of the beast!!

RK
    Stan b & Elvis

Until we as a society decide to give up some safety for privacy this mentality will continue in this country. The security industry has a huge interest in this and consequently their main message is to promote fear and uncertainty so people will become subservient to their wishes.
    Unfortunately the terrorists have won a huge battle when it comes to having Americans living in fear. Since 9/11 we have changed so many laws(Patriot Act) in the name of security that we have now become desensitized to what freedom really means. Freedom and liberty have cost's and we should think twice before we so willingly give those up.