The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Jeff and Gibson GDG!

I haven't seen Jeff around here. I hope he's well and his absence is just a case of him wising up to the fact that all the work he did making and documenting his arguments was falling on deaf ears and blind eyes.
    "For everyone to whom much is given, of him shall much be required." -- Luke 12:48

Raven - Moneybird's Black Magic Marker***
    (Esprit's Power Play x Trumarc's Lean Cuisine)
    Mick - Moneybird's Jumpin' Jack Flash***
    (Clubmead's Road Warrior x Oakdale Whitewater Devil Dog)
    Peerless - Moneybird's Sole Survivor
    (Two River's Lucky Willie x Moneybird's Black Magic Marker)

Quote Originally Posted by Buzz View Post
    I haven't seen Jeff around here. I hope he's well and his absence is just a case of him wising up to the fact that all the work he did making and documenting his arguments was falling on deaf ears and blind eyes.

Or vice versa.........

RK
    Stan b & Elvis

David,
    I got a little Nkon Kool-Pix.

I love that thing.
    It has a little mini telephoto lense.
    I play the disc on my Kodak digital picture frame.

Is that camera total junk?

RK
    Stan b & Elvis

going off memory here but it was taken at 300mm F7.1 iso of either 400 or 800 and a shutter of 1/800

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by road kill View Post
    David,
    I got a little Nkon Kool-Pix.

I love that thing.
    It has a little mini telephoto lense.
    I play the disc on my Kodak digital picture frame.

Is that camera total junk?

RK
    you didnt mention which model kool pix - no matter - no camera is "total junk" unless used for purposes for which it was not designed for. for documenting the events in your life to replay on a digital frame it is probably great. you can probably get some decent shots of ducks in flight as well, and they will look cool on your digital frame but probably wouldnt make the cover of NatGeo. have fun with it!

Quote Originally Posted by david gibson View Post
    you didnt mention which model kool pix - no matter - no camera is "total junk" unless used for purposes for which it was not designed for. for documenting the events in your life to replay on a digital frame it is probably great. you can probably get some decent shots of ducks in flight as well, and they will look cool on your digital frame but probably wouldnt make the cover of NatGeo. have fun with it!

It has the athletic event feature, I actually got a great shot of a drake woody setting into my decoys this fall.

We also got a mid air shot of Elvis with a mallard in his jaws.

I am better at lookin' at pictures than I am takin' em.

RK
    Stan b & Elvis

Quote Originally Posted by Cody Covey View Post
    going off memory here but it was taken at 300mm F7.1 iso of either 400 or 800 and a shutter of 1/800
    I have a little utility assosiated with my browser called opanda. it allows exif to be viewed with just a right click.

exif data:

[Image]
    Make = Canon
    Model = Canon EOS DIGITAL REBEL XT
    Date Time = 2010-12-19 23:46:22
    Artist = unknown
    [Camera]
    Exposure Time = 1/400"
    F Number = F8
    Exposure Program = Aperture priority
    ISO Speed Ratings = 800
    Exif Version = Version 2.21
    Date Time Original = 2010-12-19 15:54:00
    Date Time Digitized = 2010-12-19 15:54:00
    Shutter Speed Value = 8.64 TV
    Aperture Value = 6 AV
    Exposure Bias Value = 0EV
    Max Aperture Value = F5.6
    Metering Mode = Pattern
    Flash = Flash did not fire, compulsory flash mode
    Focal Length = 300mm
    Flashpix Version = Version 1.0
    Color Space = Uncalibrated
    Custom Rendered = Normal process
    Exposure Mode = Auto exposure
    White Balance = Auto white balance
    Scene Capture Type = Normal
    [Thumbnail]
    Thumbnail = 256 x 237
    subroc

Article [I.]
    Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.
    Article [II.]
    A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

Still alive and well. The softness in the photo shown seems to be more an effect of glare. Shooting in bright morning or afternoon sun requires a lot of attention on the angle of the light. Even with a lens hood it softens the image. Sometimes that can produce a desireable effect, but if you want sharp detail, get the sun coming in at about a 45 degree angle to the subject and from behind the camera. That will give you the shadow to emphasize detail and make the colors glow.

sun angle is about 80 degrees relative to the camera, creating lens glare (deliberate) softening the model's front

Light coming at 45 degrees from behind the camera, creating sharp detail and brilliant color.Supplemental light from the side to backlight the model's shoulder and separate it from the background.

Sorry for the cheesecake, but sometimes a photographer's life is hard.

Banned

now that the expert in everything has chimed in, then obviously all you have to worry about is glare. please excuse my obviously ignorant advise.

my god, tell her to eat something.
    Last edited by david gibson; 12-20-2010 at 06:46 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by david gibson View Post
    now that the expert in everything has chimed in, then obviously all you have to worry about is glare. please excuse my obviously ignorant advise.

my god, tell her to eat something.
    Not your advice that sucks David, just your attitude. The model is too skinny for my taste, but healthy, and signed by one of the major agencies the week after our shoot (her doing, not mine). She's 16 and her mother was at my side the whole time.

In this case the shutter speed was 1/400, ISO 800 and aperture at f/8. The cause of the blurry texture may be affected by shake or bad focus (which itself can be caused by difficult light), but even on a tripod this image would be soft because of a subject in shadow and a bright sky behind. If angles cannot be changed, it might have helped to boost the EV, but that would have required pushing the ISO into a noisy range. Better to move or wait for a better shot. Your advice on testing the lens under ideal lighting conditions is appropriate. My examples simply try to illustrate the importance of light angle in determining apparent softness or hardness of a lens, something you understand very well as is evident in your images.
    Last edited by YardleyLabs; 12-20-2010 at 07:31 PM.