The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media

Thread: Dadt

Default Dadt

With the vote on DADT, which direction do you think the end result will be. Will we be stronger as a nation or is this the moment where regression begins? I've been around for all of them so will offer this:

Previous actions of significance that have had an effect on our nation that would be similar are the forced assimilation into our society of minorities & the female movement. I would say minority assimilation is going well if you are willing to ignore the large numbers of young minorities that are being deprived of a solid baseline in education.

The female movement is a different beast, many females found a niche where they fit & are doing well, while others got where they were because of their gender. I am constantly amazed by the ranks of the unemployed female who state: I was making 100K+ at my previous job & just got laid off out of the blue. My answer to that is: if you couldn't see that train wreck coming you certainly were not worth 100k.

I only post this because my former employer embarked on a diversity kick about 30 years ago. Prior to that most promotion was merit based & worked quite well or the decision making structure was such that a Peter Principle promotion did not have a deleterious effect. They now have an airplane that no one seems to be capable of completing . Several years ago I was at an audit of Hawker DeHavilland in Sydney, a comment made by an engineer that had been on loan to Boeing was "I admire the company's ability to set a schedule for a new or redesigned airplane & meet that schedule". Guess we can no longer claim that!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I just read about 747 0002 being auctioned off in Korea, seems after it's retirement it was dismantled & went there as a theme restaurant. Prior to its retirement it lived a long & useful life. As a young engineer at the company I can remember saving the company lots of dough working on that unit & it's follow-ons with innovative fixes for non conforming situations. Just don't believe that would have happened in a company not merit based!!!!

Tha alternate lifestyle folks have been the beneficiaries of a lot of legislation based on their preferences. I believe that to be wrong, as I believe them to be a disproportionate force on the public employment rolls.

So where do you think DADT will lead us, long term?

Warning: this may require some thinking, so if you are not prepared please refrain from hitting the SUBMIT key .

Marvin S

Everyone's friend is No One's friend

Someday your life will flash before your eyes. It's your responsibility to make sure it's worth watching!

I don't think it is incumbent upon DADT(Its repeal) to lead us anywhere. It is to stop us from unjustly discriminating and denying people the ability to serve their country. If there are failings, it is on us, not the policy.

In no way should the repeal of DADT give advantage to someone that is gay over someone who is not. We still operate (or should) in a merit based system. The repeal of DADT is to remove discrimination, not create it.
    God Bless PFC Jamie Harkness. The US Army's newest PFC, but still our neighbor's little girl!

IMHO DADT was a blip in the road compared to Title IX...now if we ever go back to a draft in the Armed Services then it will have a profound effect...I cant wait to see the first lawsuit where a same sex couple sues the Army/Navy/USMC/Air Force for spousal benefits or survivor benefits...or the first illegal immigrant who has served the military and wants citizenship for he and his gay partner

On second thought wait till the a lesbian colonel sues because she was passed over for general based on her sexual orientation....

Look out SCOTUS, your docket is going to be busy...kind of glad my dad isnt around to see this..he was old school US Army (26th Calvary) and would have had a problem with it
    All my Exes live in Texas

Quote Originally Posted by lanse brown View Post
    A few things that I learned still ring true. "Lanse when you get a gift, say thank you and walk away. When you get a screwing walk away. You are going to get a lot more screwings than gifts"

Could someone explain to me how announcing your preference to be openly gay makes one a better soldier, airman, sailor??

If you can, then I will support it.

This oughta be good.........

RK
    Stan b & Elvis

I think they should have left DADT alone. That way if they ever decided to start drafting 50 year old guys, I could just announce that I'm gay and they would be done with me!
    "For everyone to whom much is given, of him shall much be required." -- Luke 12:48

Raven - Moneybird's Black Magic Marker***
    (Esprit's Power Play x Trumarc's Lean Cuisine)
    Mick - Moneybird's Jumpin' Jack Flash***
    (Clubmead's Road Warrior x Oakdale Whitewater Devil Dog)
    Peerless - Moneybird's Sole Survivor
    (Two River's Lucky Willie x Moneybird's Black Magic Marker)

Quote Originally Posted by road kill View Post
    Could someone explain to me how announcing your preference to be openly gay makes one a better soldier, airman, sailor??

RK
    I doubt that announcing any preference would make someone a better soldier,
    Do you think that announcing your preference to be Christian would make you a better soldier? This is important because apparently if YOU think it then that makes it right. LOL

Merry Christmas.......AND......Happy Holidays regards

Quote Originally Posted by mjh345 View Post
    I doubt that announcing any preference would make someone a better soldier,
    Do you think that announcing your preference to be Christian would make you a better soldier? This is important because apparently if YOU think it then that makes it right. LOL

Merry Christmas.......AND......Happy Holidays regards
    Look, ass-klown, I will explain it one more time, I'll go real slow so you can follow.

dnf asked me what I thought.
    I answered his question (which was "what do you think?").
    I told him what I thought.

Therefore, in an answer to his question (which was "what do you think?")
    Telling him what I think is the correct answer.

As for you, I don't care what you think, and if I did I would ask.
    I don't care if you agree or understand or even like or dislike it.
    dnf understands.

Now.....go celebrate openly gay soldiers!!

RK
    Stan b & Elvis

RK
    Any attempt to do so would be silly. Of COURSE saying you're gay won't make you a better soldier! Neither does professing you're a Christian and celebrate Christmas.

But you and others take offense at having to "hide" that fact. Maybe gays feel the same way. They just want to be able to express who they are without being discriminated against?

Does that make sense, or do we need a double-standard to rectify this?
    God Bless PFC Jamie Harkness. The US Army's newest PFC, but still our neighbor's little girl!

Quote Originally Posted by dnf777 View Post
    Any attempt to do so would be silly. Of COURSE saying you're gay won't make you a better soldier! Neither does professing you're a Christian and celebrate Christmas.

But you and others take offense at having to "hide" that fact. Maybe gays feel the same way. They just want to be able to express who they are without being discriminated against?

Does that make sense, or do we need a double-standard to rectify this?

If you want to get to the highest level, we need Quads.

And could you help me out here, when you asked me what I thought and I answered with what I thought was that OK with you?

Or did you really want to know what mjh thought about what I thought when I answered your question asking me what I thought???

I didn't say it was an absolute, I just shared my thought with you.
    (you know, the one you asked for)

RK
    Stan b & Elvis

If you want to get to the highest level, we need Quads.

And could you help me out here, when you asked me what I thought and I answered with what I thought was that OK with you?

Or did you really want to know what mjh thought about what I thought when I answered your question asking me what I thought???

I didn't say it was an absolute, I just shared my thought with you.
    (you know, the one you asked for)

RK
    Hey, no problem!
    I respect that. I was just offering my opinion back.
    I actually agree, I DON"T think coming out makes anyone a better soldier. Saying I like broccoli doesn't make me a better dog handler, either.