The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 91011

Thread: Mississippi Governor to run for President 2012?

Quote Originally Posted by BonMallari View Post
    if I am not mistaken with Dallas CC you have to be a family member to inherit a membership, Brookhollow doesnt surprise me...But you may have to add Royal Oaks CC in Dallas along with Shoal Creek in Ala, and Butler National in Indiana to the list, heck pro golfer Tom Watson (not RTF'er T.Watson) gave up his membership to his home club in Kansas City because they refused admittance of Jewish members and in this case it was Henry Block of H&R Block..Watson's former wife was Jewish also

But then again these are PRIVATE clubs and can admit whomever they please
    I'm pretty sure the Dallas CC accepts new members if they are invited by, but they have to be invited by a current member and approved. It's just that minorities never get approved. Even Alex Rodriguez was turned down for membership by the Dallas CC.

One of the big controversies about Dallas CC & Brook Hollow is they recieve property tax exemptions, which means residents, black & white, are being forced to subsidize the behavior.

I think Kansas City admitted at least one minority member in response to publicity over Tom Watson quitting. I think Shoal Creek & Augusta Natl. did the same after the PGA instituted a rule not to hold tournaments at segregated clubs. The PGA instituted the rule after getting a lot of bad press for holding tournaments at segregated clubs. I guess they weren't going to let a little racism stand in the way of making money.

Quote Originally Posted by mjh345 View Post
    I doubt that the lower scoring students who weren't admitted were terribly upset either since they are all now gainfully emploted after getting accepted into Med school.

From what I understand the really low functioning ones did their surgical residency at UPMC!!

Marvin S

Everyone's friend is No One's friend

Someday your life will flash before your eyes. It's your responsibility to make sure it's worth watching!

Quote Originally Posted by mjh345 View Post
    I wasn't complaining Dave, I was just commenting on the fact that racism against whites also exists.

I doubt that the lower scoring students who weren't admitted were terribly upset either since they are all now gainfully emploted after getting accepted into Med school.

From what I understand the really low functioning ones did their surgical residency at UPMC!!

Happy New Years to you and yours

I have mixed feelings on the affirmitive action programs. I think they do boil down to a form of discrimination, intended to undo a past wrong. Two wrongs don't make a right. OTOH, I don't believe we live in a discrimination-free society yet. We have made remarkable strides to be proud of, but I think there is work to be done on both "sides".

The minority communities have the largest stake in their success, but you don't often see that attitude prevail in those communities. When I see people like Bill Cosby and Obama being ridiculed from their own race of people when they tell folks to take their own destinies in their hands, it really sours me.

As I've mentioned before, our medical school class had two minority students fail out, and they clearly were not qualified to matriculate in the first place. Of note, the only other person to fail out was white.....and was a lawyer!
    She is still a friend, and admits she had no idea how much more difficult med school was than law.

Personally, I think its just two very different forms of learning...and some people are just suited better for one or the other.
    God Bless PFC Jamie Harkness. The US Army's newest PFC, but still our neighbor's little girl!