The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Mississippi Governor to run for President 2012?

Quote Originally Posted by Marvin S View Post
    If you look for something hard enough I'm sure you will find it with your brand of seeing things as they are not. Around 150 years ago many young people sacrificed their lives as they felt slavery was wrong. Yet you don't believe that in itself was enough. What was done since by your "Friends, the D's" has set this nation back, immensely.
    First, I didn’t have to look hard. The man said what he said in support of a well know racist organization. I didn’t twist it or change it into anything. He is a high ranking member of the Republican Party. Obviously, that attitude is tolerated within the party or they would have spoken out against it. I heard a few Republicans attempt to spin and trivialize his comments, but none spoke out against it. If they did, I missed it. Please point it out to me.

Second, I thought I stated very clearly that I don’t align myself with any political party, so you can save the ‘”your "Friends, the D's"’ comment.

Also, the Civil war was not fought to end slavery or because so many people felt it was wrong. This is a popular misconception, but you have only to look at the facts to determine it’s untrue. The war was fought to preserve the Union. That is the reason those young people sacrificed their lives. The freeing of the slaves was a consequence of the war, not the reason for it. Lincoln himself stated that publically on several occasions. In his response to Horace Greeley’s editorial in the New York Tribune which had urged complete abolition of slavery, Lincoln wrote:

“My paramount object in this struggle is to save the Union, and is not either to save or to destroy slavery. If I could save the Union without freeing any slave I would do it, and if I could save it by freeing all the slaves I would do it; and if I could save it by freeing some and leaving others alone I would also do that. What I do about slavery, and the colored race, I do because I believe it helps to save the Union; and what I forbear, I forbear because I do not believe it would help to save the Union.”

There was plenty of racism in the north at that time. It is absurd to think that a significant number of people would choose to die to help people they abhorred.

Look at it this way - XXX, the businessman needs a new employee with some skills, so he advertises. 3 applicants end up being fairly equal, who will XXX hire? Oh I forgot to add - 1 applicant is a minority male, 1 is a female & 1 is a Caucasian. Based on the fact that the business could be involved in potentially expensive, both in time & money, litigation if some of the potential hires felt they weren't getting their due, Who is the sensible hire? You've answered the question by your posts on this thread .
    I not sure if you understand how Affirmative Action worked. The Gov. only imposes sanctions on private business if that business is found guilty of discriminating against minorities in hiring and promotion practices. If the business doesn’t do that, they have nothing to worry about. Most large companies implemented their own Affirmative Action policies to try to protect themselves from law suites resulting from inappropriate practices by their managers and HR, and from opportunists that would seek to sue them unjustly.

Based on your hypothetical scenario, you would think that a large number of minorities are being hired over whites. However, if you look at the ethnic make up of most large companies, I think you will find the vast majority of new hires, existing employees, upper level managers, and members of the Board of Directors are still white. The fact is, Affirmative Action has been dead at most large corporations for years. The official policy now is not to discriminate in hiring and promotion practices, but they are not to giving preference based on ethnicity.

However, I’m not sure this is germane to the topic of this thread. Nothing about hiring preferences was mentioned until you brought it up. This was about why minorities are not attracted to the Republican Party.

You need to talk to Michael Steele about that . The party of R's is who we elect from the people willing to participate in the process. More often than not even our candidates are seriously lacking so we look at things in a broad context & pick the one who will cause the least mischief, hopefully.
    But, don’t political parties seek to align themselves with people that have similar ideologies? I guess Steel should be more vigilant about what kinds of people he allows to affiliate themselves with the party. And, maybe the party leadership should have a talk with Steel if they object.

As for your reference to to SH's & NN's, they had little appeal & were bankrupted in the courts. But most people in charge in the south when the KKK was active were D's & they were admitted members, apologies not accepted as they were willing participants.
    You may not realize it, but there are still a significant number of white supremacist groups operating in the U.S. I only mentioned those in response to a statement made about why the Obama administration didn’t distance itself, or do anything about the New Black Panther Party. My response was that his administration has no reason to. Just as previous administrations had no reason to do anything about the white supremacist groups that were around when they were in office. They had no connection to those groups.

You are correct that most high ranking politicians in the south during the heyday of the KKK were Democrats. During that period, blacks overwhelmingly voted Republican. However, I think you also have to acknowledge that the base of both parties has changed significantly since then. After Truman desegregated the military, and the Democratic party included a Civil Rights plank in their platform, several of those top ranking southern Dems. (Dixiecrats) that supported segregation and Jim Crow split from the party. However, it was President Johnson’s signing of the Civil Rights Act in 1964 that caused the Dixiecrats to begin leaving the Democratic Party, and join the Republican Party to support Johnson’s opponent (Sen. Barry Goldwater), who opposed the Civil Rights Act. The first of the Dixiecrats to defect to the Republican Party was Strom Thurman, an avowed racist and segregationist. Other Dixiecrats followed. Then, there was the “Southern Strategy” first employed by Nixon, then later continued by Reagan & George H. W. Bush that pandered to southern Democratic voters that still supported “states rights,” segregation, and were anti-civil rights.

No, they were showing you what those you defend look like in a sensible person's eyes.
    I don’t recall defending Democrats on any racist comment or action. Please show me where I did. If you somehow took it that way, you were mistaken.

We are not responsible for anyone unless we choose to support them financially, which is why in most cases, their strongest appeal is to the fringe. But you fail to recognize that because you don't want to. I for one, rarely listen to TV or radio, but I do read a lot & attempt to reason things, for better or for worse, in my own way.
    You are responsible for who you choose to associate with and who you allow to associate with you. I, for one, choose not to associate with racists, be they black or white, Democrat or Republican. Nor, do I choose to be around people that tolerate it because by tolerating it, you simply embolden those that feel that way.

But Blackstone, you post a blanket indictment of those who chose to post on this thread as you felt no one was sufficiently contrite to your perceived slight.
    Again, you have misunderstood. I made no blanket indictment of the people on this board. My only indictment was that the Republican Party, as a whole, does little to distance itself from those with racist views that have aligned themselves with the party. If you feel I have slighted you, that would only be true if you are one that feels it’s okay to ignore the views of the racist that identifies themselves as Republicans.

I would venture that all of us have had experiences in life that were less than perfect, but we benefitted by those experiences & continued forward. You might consider manning up & being responsible for yourself without looking for someone to blame, it will change your perspective.
    I don’t know what you’re talking about. What is it that you think I should be taking responsibility for? In this thread, I haven’t asked anyone for anything or blamed anyone for my circumstance in life. But, what I have done is “man up” and publically state my opposition to the support of racists and racism where ever I encounter them. Perhaps you should man up, stop excusing it, and do the same.

Quote Originally Posted by blackstone
    I made no blanket indictment of the people on this board.

Quote Originally Posted by Blackstone View Post
    The thing I have found most interesting about this discussing is that only one Republican (and, I’m making that assumption), BonMallari, seemed to find anything wrong with Barbour’s comments and support of the White Citizens Council. Everyone else immediately began to point fingers at the Democrats, left wing media, NAACP, Obama Administration, etc. trying to show they were just as bad. I even offered up a few others with racist stances that have attached themselves to the Republican band wagon. Once again, no one seemed to find their racist views abhorrent and think they should not be tolerated. No one thought the Republicans should distance themselves from these people. This is what I was talking about, these views seem to be ignored, if not tolerated, by the Republican Party. So, given the connection of these people to the Republican Party, do you think most minorities would feel comfortable affiliating themselves with the Republican Party? I go back to my original comment, “Is there any wonder so few minorities support and identify with that party?”

Just sayin....

Quote Originally Posted by ducknwork View Post
    Just sayin....

Marvin S

Everyone's friend is No One's friend

Someday your life will flash before your eyes. It's your responsibility to make sure it's worth watching!

BTW, I don't appreciate being accused of being racist, or tolerating white on black racism. Although, I guess I wasn't included in the blanket statement since I am not a republican...

Banned

If you look for something hard enough I'm sure you will find it with your brand of seeing things as they are not. Around 150 years ago many young people sacrificed their lives as they felt slavery was wrong. Yet you don't believe that in itself was enough. What was done since by your "Friends, the D's" has set this nation back, immensely.

Look at it this way - XXX, the businessman needs a new employee with some skills, so he advertises. 3 applicants end up being fairly equal, who will XXX hire? Oh I forgot to add - 1 applicant is a minority male, 1 is a female & 1 is a Caucasian. Based on the fact that the business could be involved in potentially expensive, both in time & money, litigation if some of the potential hires felt they weren't getting their due, Who is the sensible hire? You've answered the question by your posts on this thread .

I would note that I have seen many talented minorities & have done my best to promote their skills if they had those skills. Many are not given the chance to participate in the give & take of the private sector even if they desired. The baggage they bring by government edict is not worth the potential trouble.

You need to talk to Michael Steele about that . The party of R's is who we elect from the people willing to participate in the process. More often than not even our candidates are seriously lacking so we look at things in a broad context & pick the one who will cause the least mischief, hopefully.

As for your reference to to SH's & NN's, they had little appeal & were bankrupted in the courts. But most people in charge in the south when the KKK was active were D's & they were admitted members, apologies not accepted as they were willing participants.

No, they were showing you what those you defend look like in a sensible person's eyes. We are not responsible for anyone unless we choose to support them financially, which is why in most cases, their strongest appeal is to the fringe. But you fail to recognize that because you don't want to. I for one, rarely listen to TV or radio, but I do read a lot & attempt to reason things, for better or for worse, in my own way.

But Blackstone, you post a blanket indictment of those who chose to post on this thread as you felt no one was sufficiently contrite to your perceived slight. I would venture that all of us have had experiences in life that were less than perfect, but we benefitted by those experiences & continued forward. You might consider manning up & being responsible for yourself without looking for someone to blame, it will change your perspective.
    You just have to look at the 2008 election and who the Republicans chose to have run for President. One of them admitted he knew nothing about economics even said our Country was in good economic shape.(At a morning rally in Jacksonville, McCain noted what he called "tremendous turmoil in our financial markets and Wall Street,'' but continued to say he believes the economy is sound -- ) By the afternoon, McCain had altered his message. Speaking before a town hall meeting with a Hispanic organization in Orlando
    ("Our economy is at risk today, have no doubt how serious this problem is,'' McCain said. "We've got to fix this economy, which the fundamentals of are at great risk right now.... I want to promise you that it's my highest priority. ")
    McCain even flip flopped on other issues
    http://www.alternet.org/election08/90956/?page=entire

And look who he chose for a running mate, A woman whose best known for being a mayor of 5,000 people------------ Duh-------------and her foreign relations experience was her claim she was able to see Russia from Alaska

Just how far back do you think these two morons would have set back America if they had gotten elected?????????????? (Moron (psychology), disused term for a person with a mental age between 8 and 12, or a person considered stupid)

Roger Perry quote...

Just how far back do you think these two morons would have set back America if they had gotten elected?????????????? (Moron (psychology), disused term for a person with a mental age between 8 and 12, or a person considered stupid)

Isn't it always the way...to call someone by the name you have been referred to frequently, but do it before they do...much like a child.

Each time you post, you remove all doubt as to how ignorant you are. You are as simple minded as any racist. Your mantra has been repeated so often, is it any wonder conservatives have no interest in even thinking you have a point to your drivel? You have become a POTUS BB joke.

It's quite telling you are worried now that GWB isn't in the spotlight anymore, you have no one to spew your hatred at...so you've decided to pick on Sarah Palin. Your hatred seems to know no boundries. But we already know that Roger, so all you do is continue to make yourself more of a hate racist with each post. As mongers go, you win first prize.

UB
    When the one you love becomes a memory, that memory becomes a treasure.

Quote Originally Posted by Roger Perry View Post
    (Moron (psychology), disused term for a person with a mental age between 8 and 12, or a person considered stupid)
    RP - my definition of a moron would also have to include someone who can not read something & understand the subject matter in it's full context .

Marvin S

Everyone's friend is No One's friend

Someday your life will flash before your eyes. It's your responsibility to make sure it's worth watching!

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by walt8@cox.net View Post
    Roger Perry Quote... Just how far back do you think these two morons would have set back America if they had gotten elected?????????????? (Moron (psychology), disused term for a person with a mental age between 8 and 12, or a person considered stupid)[/color]
    Just his war record alone should keep people from making comments like this, out of respect.
    A moron can fly a jet fighter?
    Your remarks about John McCain remind me of those college punks who wanted a statue of Pappy Boyington taken off campus because they considered him a murderer.
    What's it take to get peoples respect? Better poll numbers??
    Walt[/quote]

No, just someone who can show me intellegence enough to run a country which neither of these two people did. And by the way a moron can fly a jet plane G.W. Bush proved that.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Bill View Post
    Roger Perry quote...

Isn't it always the way...to call someone by the name you have been referred to frequently, but do it before they do...much like a child.

Each time you post, you remove all doubt as to how ignorant you are. You are as simple minded as any racist. Your mantra has been repeated so often, is it any wonder conservatives have no interest in even thinking you have a point to your drivel? You have become a POTUS BB joke.

It's quite telling you are worried now that GWB isn't in the spotlight anymore, you have no one to spew your hatred at...so you've decided to pick on Sarah Palin. Your hatred seems to know no boundries. But we already know that Roger, so all you do is continue to make yourself more of a hate racist with each post. As mongers go, you win first prize.

UB
    Yes, UB Sarah Palin showed me how smart she was when she did the interviews. North Korea is our ally being her most recent one.

Quote Originally Posted by ducknwork View Post
    Just sayin....
    I guess it was a blanket indictment of the people that commented. But, what was it an indictment of? I said that none of them felt the need to speak out against the racists that have aligned themselves with the Republican Party. Was I wrong?