The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Worlds Largest Army??

Default Worlds Largest Army??

The state of Wisconsin has gone an entire deer hunting season without someone getting killed. That's great. There were over 600,000 hunters.

Allow me to restate that number. Over the last two months, the eighth largest army in the world - more men under arms than Iran; more than France and Germany combined - deployed to the woods of a single American state to help keep the deer menace at bay.

But that pales in comparison to the 750,000 who are in the woods of Pennsylvania this week. Michigan's 700,000 hunters have now returned home. Toss in a quarter million hunters in Minnesota and it is literally the case that the hunters of those four states alone would comprise the largest army in the world. Larger than even China, which has only a mere 2.25 million.

The point? America will forever be safe from foreign invasion with that kind of home-grown firepower.

Hunting -- it's not just a way to fill the freezer. It's a matter of national security.

I love my country.
    It's the Government that I'm afraid of.
    God Bless America.

__________________________________________________ ______

RK
    Stan b & Elvis

I believe that "home grown firepower" was a {the} factor for the Japanese ruling out even thinking about making any surprise attacks on the US mainland

Someone sent that to me a few days back. You know that doesn't even count us oldies who no long hunt so we don't buy a license. Can still pull a trigger though. And it was another lady who sent it to me and I would bet a good chunk of money that she and her husband both own guns. They are like me......sort of over the hill as far as a long walk to hunt.

Banned

sounds great on the surface, but what good do millions of rifles do against a nuclear attack???

so obama signs a treaty to limit our total number of weapons to the same as russia's. hmmmm...what about china? sure they only have a few now, but what limits them?..in my lifetime i have only seen russia and china together aligned against us, never one taking our side. so russia probably loves that their buddies in china have no restrictions.

in the good old days of Reagan we brought russia to their knees with our ability to bankrupt them in the arms race. now we are negotiating.

and i dont want to hear from the lefties that gw is to blame. the point is the nutless coward in the whitehouse right now signed the bill.

yeah - our shotguns and deer rifles are great defense these days....what a sobering thought for christmas......................................... .............

Quote Originally Posted by david gibson View Post

in the good old days of Reagan we brought russia to their knees with our ability to bankrupt them in the arms race. now we are negotiating.

Equally responsible for the USSR's financial demise was their stubborness is staying in drawn out conflicts in Afghanistan. Carter funded the mujahideen in an effort to sap the Ruskies, and it worked.

How's the war in Afghanistan going, by the way?
    God Bless PFC Jamie Harkness. The US Army's newest PFC, but still our neighbor's little girl!

Quote Originally Posted by dnf777 View Post
    Equally responsible for the USSR's financial demise was their stubborness is staying in drawn out conflicts in Afghanistan. Carter funded the mujahideen in an effort to sap the Ruskies, and it worked.

This is 100% correct.

It wasn't Reagan that defeated Russia, it was Afghanistan.
    It will do the same to us.

RK
    Stan b & Elvis

Quote Originally Posted by road kill View Post
    This is 100% correct.

It wasn't Reagan that defeated Russia, it was Afghanistan.
    It will do the same to us.

RK
    BINGO!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by david gibson View Post
    sounds great on the surface, but what good do millions of rifles do against a nuclear attack???

so obama signs a treaty to limit our total number of weapons to the same as russia's. hmmmm...what about china? sure they only have a few now, but what limits them?..in my lifetime i have only seen russia and china together aligned against us, never one taking our side. so russia probably loves that their buddies in china have no restrictions.

and i dont want to hear from the lefties that gw is to blame. the point is the nutless coward in the whitehouse right now signed the bill.

yeah - our shotguns and deer rifles are great defense these days....what a sobering thought for christmas......................................... .............
    How many nuclear weapons does it take to destroy life on earth as we currently understand it? Who wins that type of war? Think it through to a logical end...free your mind, the rest will follow.

Your concern is understandable on the surface but if you understand MAD policy, it doesn't pass the logic test. There are more than enough nuclear weapons to share with those nation-states that want a nuclear exchange, with some left over.

You suggest that Russia may be glad China has no limits on its nuclear weapons. Really? Think about that for a bit...

It is ok to treat former enemies with respect and deference, hell, they might even become great friends as time goes by...England, Germany, Japan, Spain...ok...maybe not France so much but they are better than an enemy.

Relax, David, it isn't the nation-state with the nukes that cause concern as much as it is the non-state actors that get their hands on a loose nuke or the material to make an IND...that really keeps people up at night.

E=MC2 Regards,

Joe S.
    "Life shrinks or expands in proportion to one's courage." - Anais Nin

Quote Originally Posted by dnf777 View Post

Point to ponder:
    "If" we hadn't supported the "muj/freedom fighters" , there may have been no OBL/terrorists left for 9/11 and your last question could be moot.
    Unintended consequences regards.
    "It's not that government is inherently stupid, although that's a debatable question."
    Rand Paul CPAC speech 2011

I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it. Thomas Jefferson to Archibald Stuart, 1791

Quote Originally Posted by BrianW View Post
    Point to ponder:
    "If" we hadn't supported the "muj/freedom fighters" , there may have been no OBL/terrorists left for 9/11 and your last question could be moot.
    Unintended consequences regards.
    Absolutely. That has been pondered ad nauseaum already.
    Makes you wonder about who we're selling arms to today.
    I'm quite sure some of the munitions being used in IEDs are stamped "made in USA" on them.

But to say there may be no bin Laden is like Hew's analogy that if the Wright brothers didn't invent the airplane.....
    God Bless PFC Jamie Harkness. The US Army's newest PFC, but still our neighbor's little girl!