The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Worlds Largest Army??

Quote Originally Posted by dnf777 View Post
    Absolutely. That has been pondered ad nauseaum already.
    Makes you wonder about who we're selling arms to today.
    I'm quite sure some of the munitions being used in IEDs are stamped "made in USA" on them.

But to say there may be no bin Laden is like Hew's analogy that if the Wright brothers didn't invent the airplane.....
    Yep, we know GE trades with Iran.

Also "made in France" and "made in Germany" and "made in Russia."

RK
    Stan b & Elvis

Quote Originally Posted by Joe S. View Post
    How many nuclear weapons does it take to destroy life on earth as we currently understand it? Who wins that type of war? Think it through to a logical end...free your mind, the rest will follow.

Your concern is understandable on the surface but if you understand MAD policy, it doesn't pass the logic test. There are more than enough nuclear weapons to share with those nation-states that want a nuclear exchange, with some left over.

You suggest that Russia may be glad China has no limits on its nuclear weapons. Really? Think about that for a bit...

It is ok to treat former enemies with respect and deference, hell, they might even become great friends as time goes by...England, Germany, Japan, Spain...ok...maybe not France so much but they are better than an enemy.

Relax, David, it isn't the nation-state with the nukes that cause concern as much as it is the non-state actors that get their hands on a loose nuke or the material to make an IND...that really keeps people up at night.

E=MC2 Regards,

Joe S.
    Joe, quit making sense and being logical.
    This is POTUS, no room for that here

Quote Originally Posted by BrianW View Post
    Point to ponder:
    "If" we hadn't supported the "muj/freedom fighters" , there may have been no OBL/terrorists left for 9/11 and your last question could be moot.
    Unintended consequences regards.
    ...AND in order to get to the muj/freedom fighters we had to turn a blind eye towards the Pakistan nuclear program which, under the leadership of A. Q. Khan, has been responsible for near every KNOWN nuclear proliferation effort in the world.

Now, take the next step...

Unintended Consequences Indeed Regards,

Joe S.
    "Life shrinks or expands in proportion to one's courage." - Anais Nin

Quote Originally Posted by mjh345 View Post
    Joe, quit making sense and being logical.
    This is POTUS, no room for that here
    LOL...I am sorry. Please forgive me.

I'll Try And Do Better Next Time Regards,

Joe S.
    "Life shrinks or expands in proportion to one's courage." - Anais Nin

Quote Originally Posted by road kill View Post
    The state of Wisconsin has gone an entire deer hunting season without someone getting killed. That's great. There were over 600,000 hunters.

Allow me to restate that number. Over the last two months, the eighth largest army in the world - more men under arms than Iran; more than France and Germany combined - deployed to the woods of a single American state to help keep the deer menace at bay.

But that pales in comparison to the 750,000 who are in the woods of Pennsylvania this week. Michigan's 700,000 hunters have now returned home. Toss in a quarter million hunters in Minnesota and it is literally the case that the hunters of those four states alone would comprise the largest army in the world. Larger than even China, which has only a mere 2.25 million.

The point? America will forever be safe from foreign invasion with that kind of home-grown firepower.

Hunting -- it's not just a way to fill the freezer. It's a matter of national security.

I love my country.
    It's the Government that I'm afraid of.
    God Bless America.

__________________________________________________ ______

RK

IMHBFWDAO, I think the provider of this info missed the real point that he should have made...namely aimed at the gun control yin-yangs among us. (not you RK, your just the messenger)

I mean the hunters in the state of Wisconsin should be proud of that accomplishment. Don't know how many deaths there were in the other named states, but with all those guns in the field, I'll bet there were fewer than auto deaths, or deaths by other accidents during this same time frame.

As to the reference to being a larger army than some other multiple of countries, I've never looked at needing my guns for that purpose. But I have had the need cross my mind of their necessity to protect myself from my own government, especially when it's masquerading as the current oligarchy.

UB
    When the one you love becomes a memory, that memory becomes a treasure.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Joe S. View Post
    How many nuclear weapons does it take to destroy life on earth as we currently understand it? Who wins that type of war? Think it through to a logical end...free your mind, the rest will follow.

Your concern is understandable on the surface but if you understand MAD policy, it doesn't pass the logic test. There are more than enough nuclear weapons to share with those nation-states that want a nuclear exchange, with some left over.

You suggest that Russia may be glad China has no limits on its nuclear weapons. Really? Think about that for a bit...

It is ok to treat former enemies with respect and deference, hell, they might even become great friends as time goes by...England, Germany, Japan, Spain...ok...maybe not France so much but they are better than an enemy.

Relax, David, it isn't the nation-state with the nukes that cause concern as much as it is the non-state actors that get their hands on a loose nuke or the material to make an IND...that really keeps people up at night.

E=MC2 Regards,

Joe S.
    well i rest so much easier now that you have it all figured out. thanks!

what were our leaders thinking when they thought we needed so many. they were really dumb.

here's an alternative viewpoint.

http://www.usni.org/vice-admiral-oba...russians-start

you guys are not only smarter than a 5th grader, you are smarter than a vice admiral...

"“The Soviets/Russians were done in by Reagan and our missile defense program because they cannot afford to build such a system,” said Miller. “They instead try to counter our program with rhetoric at the bargaining table. And they won by outmaneuvering Obama. START plays right into their hands.”"

"“The treaty prohibits the conversion of an existing ballistic missile system into a missile defense system,” said Miller. “We might want to do that with a Trident or an ICBM sometime in the future, particularly if the Chinese alleged threat materializes.”"
    Last edited by david gibson; 12-23-2010 at 10:44 PM.

David, I admittedly didn't read your link, however if you or Mr. Miller think the Reagan bankruptcy analogy of the 1980's still applies then you haven't been paying attention.
    In the 80's the USSR was involved in protracted, expensive war in Afghanistan that was a great strain on their treasury. Thanks to your boy GWB, that shoe is squarely on the other foot, with the additional entanglement of Iraq thrown in. Additionally, GWB in spite of inheriting the largest budget surplus in history, he promptly turned those into repeated record budget deficits. Obama has continued this fiscal insanity in his first 2 years.

So I would have to ask you and Mr. Miller in light of these facts, whom do you think would be the last man standing if the U.S.A, Russia, and China got into a protracted arms race designed to bankrupt the others?

I doubt the Chinese would be willing buy our chits or IOU's in that scenario, don't you?