The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ice Sports

Default Ice Sports

I know I have mentioned ice fishing on numerous occasions.
    There is a thread on th RTF board about hunting on ice and how dangerous it is for the dog.
    Which glare ice would be, we don't really have that, we have a fairly rough surface covered with snow.

But I am amazed at the fear of ice.

We race motorcycles on the ice, it is a blast.

Any of you ever see this??

Yes, before you ask, it is a very SLOW day!!!!!

RK
    Stan b & Elvis

I have to ask what type of tires do you run on...my street design Bridgestone Duelers's were useless in the ice and snow in Idaho...do you use studded tires, or do you change tires during the winter season....any other ice/snow driving tips are greatly appreciated...I drive a suburban
    All my Exes live in Texas

Quote Originally Posted by lanse brown View Post
    A few things that I learned still ring true. "Lanse when you get a gift, say thank you and walk away. When you get a screwing walk away. You are going to get a lot more screwings than gifts"

Quote Originally Posted by BonMallari View Post
    I have to ask what type of tires do you run on...my street design Bridgestone Duelers's were useless in the ice and snow in Idaho...do you use studded tires, or do you change tires during the winter season....any other ice/snow driving tips are greatly appreciated...I drive a suburban
    That is funny Bon. When I lived in Colorado a guy I worked with named Ken May built motorcycles that won the Pike's Peak Summit Winter Race a number of times. The tires on those bikes looked like something that Mel Gibson would have ridden as Mad Max

Got out on the green bay last couples days . Caught some nice perch and two white fish. Some day i am going to learn how to post pictures on here.

Quote Originally Posted by starjack View Post
    Got out on the green bay last couples days . Caught some nice perch and two white fish. Some day i am going to learn how to post pictures on here.
    Goin' out today to try for a couple of northerns or bass.
    Soak some minnows on a tip up.

RK
    Stan b & Elvis

Quote Originally Posted by road kill View Post
    Goin' out today to try for a couple of northerns or bass.
    Soak some minnows on a tip up.

RK
    Northern is one good eating fish.

Quote Originally Posted by road kill View Post

But I am amazed at the fear of ice.

We race motorcycles on the ice, it is a blast.

Any of you ever see this??

Yes, before you ask, it is a very SLOW day!!!!!

RK
    Slow day here too: did the family thing yesterday; doing our own at dinnertime. I just got in from taking a short walk with my six-pack of Peakes: Puffin the boss bitch, 10; Panda the perfect (almost 3) Ceilie Mae (2) and Tanzy, ADD hyper immature mini peake (19 mos.) plus two pups awaiting shipping, each 10 wks, Grenny E and Honey B. Fresh snow falling, but caution needed as there are icy patches in all the shadows. It's been unusually cold in VA the past 2 weeks.

Re ice: We really only get icy road conditions once every 5 years or so, and very rarely more than a day or two, so most people never learn to drive on it. When roads are icy, I usually stay home; not so much for fear of driving but for fear of the other morons on the roads crashing into me. I think that's the real reason ice is so scary in the lower half of the U.S., folks just never learned how to drive on it. You want to see a real buffooon show, snow in D.C. & environs takes the cake--from the hype, to the management of it to the fear of it to the accident rate.
    However, I would never live any further north than this as winters get harder to take every year yet comparatively speaking they're not that bad.
    Julie R., Hope Springs Farm
    Chesapeake Bay Retrievers since 1981

Quote Originally Posted by Julie R. View Post
    Slow day here too: did the family thing yesterday; doing our own at dinnertime. I just got in from taking a short walk with my six-pack of Peakes: Puffin the boss bitch, 10; Panda the perfect (almost 3) Ceilie Mae (2) and Tanzy, ADD hyper immature mini peake (19 mos.) plus two pups awaiting shipping, each 10 wks, Grenny E and Honey B. Fresh snow falling, but caution needed as there are icy patches in all the shadows. It's been unusually cold in VA the past 2 weeks.

Re ice: We really only get icy road conditions once every 5 years or so, and very rarely more than a day or two, so most people never learn to drive on it. When roads are icy, I usually stay home; not so much for fear of driving but for fear of the other morons on the roads crashing into me. I think that's the real reason ice is so scary in the lower half of the U.S., folks just never learned how to drive on it. You want to see a real buffooon show, snow in D.C. & environs takes the cake--from the hype, to the management of it to the fear of it to the accident rate.
    However, I would never live any further north than this as winters get harder to take every year yet comparatively speaking they're not that bad.

You would enjoy ice fishing.
    It is very weird, but somehow enjoyable.
    Obviously, you prepare, so the cold is not as big an issue as it seems.
    We have a Frabil shanty with a Mr. Heater propane heater.
    Half the time we don't even use it.

Maybe I'll get a picture of it soon.

As far as hunting/running our dogs on snow & ice.......well I guess we could just stay inside until MAY!!!!

RK
    Last edited by road kill; 12-25-2010 at 10:37 AM.
    Stan b & Elvis

I plan on trying ice fishing this year. I grew up in MN, and now live in ND and have not been ice fishing once. I work with a guy that has built some pretty nice houses, he lives in them on the weekends throughout the winter.

Spent 4 years in Alaska and had a blast ice fishing. We built a 16 x 8 shanty that stayed at the lake. We could move it with our snow machines if we needed to. Mainly it was a great way to keep my younger soldiers busy on the weekends and out of trouble or as much trouble anyway. 10 holes and space in the corner for cooking. Was really quite fun to be sitting inside at about 70 degrees or so when the outside temps were -30. Didn't need a cooler since the trout froze solid within minutes of being put outside on the ice. Sure wish I could finagle Uncle Sam into sending me back for another tour.
    "In GOD we TRUST, for everything else there's JUMPMASTERS!"

Proudly owned by CPR HR Tiger Mountain Liberty "Libby"