The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: dadt

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by dnf777 View Post
    In some regards....yes. (sexual discrimination, sushi bars, bistros)

In many others....no. (aviation, denim, computer technology) We still rule.

If we keep letting education slip, we won't be leading anything in another generation or two.

My reference to "catching up" was in regards to the silly discrimination that the rest of the world has gotten over years ago.
    yeah, those wonderfully tolerant muslim countries have really gotten over it....

Then I guess almost every other standing army in the world, including some of best in history, besides ours, are also social test tubes.

We're not inventing the wheel here. We're catching up to the rest of the world and history.

I don't know about you guys, but I joined the military to serve my country. Not to meet chics. I don't know why a gay person would be any different. Maybe, just perhaps, they join to serve our country as well??
    Quote Originally Posted by road kill View Post
    We are catching up with the rest of the world????

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmm........

RK
    My thoughts exactly.....I don't really care WHAT the rest of the world is doing...my concern is with what OUR COUNTRY is doing.

Quote Originally Posted by ducknwork View Post
    Then why is it so important that it is legal to flaunt their homosexuality? Why not just serve and keep their personal business...well, personal?
    Duckwork....I was wondering the exact same thing.

NCA

Quote Originally Posted by Nor_Cal_Angler View Post
    Then why is it so important that it is legal to flaunt their homosexuality? Why not just serve and keep their personal business...well, personal?

Duckwork....I was wondering the exact same thing.

NCA

Got news for ya NorCal......its not legal for anyone to flaunt their sexuality in the military.

Do you think the repeal of DADT was all about flaunting?? Do you think they want to have gay pride parades in the streets of Kandahar?
    Your homophobia is showing, and I have a theory about homophobes...

All they want is what any other group of people wants. To be able to serve and not worry about having an otherwise honorable career taken away because of their sexual orientation. If that means "flaunting" to you, well, that's your business.

Perhaps if you served, perhaps with someone who happened to be gay, you would understand. I knew more than one gay person in the army, all of whom served honorably and courageously. They shouldn't have to worry about their careers being in jeopardy for that.
    God Bless PFC Jamie Harkness. The US Army's newest PFC, but still our neighbor's little girl!

For those of you/us that have been part of a military family, do you think that same sex partners are eligible/deserve the same benefits as conventional spouses...what about survivor benefits ? I think the court system is going to be challenged repeatedly in the military..
    All my Exes live in Texas

Quote Originally Posted by lanse brown View Post
    A few things that I learned still ring true. "Lanse when you get a gift, say thank you and walk away. When you get a screwing walk away. You are going to get a lot more screwings than gifts"

Quote Originally Posted by ducknwork View Post
    I don't think the intent is to make it legal to flaunt their homosexuality. I think it is just to make it illegal to discriminate against them because they are. I'm sure you've met people that you could pretty much tell were gay even though that didn't say it or really flaunt it.

Some very interesting questions and concerns have been posed here. It will be interesting to see how the military and the courts deal with them.

Got news for ya NorCal......its not legal for anyone to flaunt their sexuality in the military.

Do you think the repeal of DADT was all about flaunting?? Do you think they want to have gay pride parades in the streets of Kandahar?

All they want is what any other group of people wants. To be able to serve and not worry about having an otherwise honorable career taken away because of their sexual orientation. If that means "flaunting" to you, well, that's your business.

Perhaps if you served, perhaps with someone who happened to be gay, you would understand. I knew more than one gay person in the army, all of whom served honorably and courageously. They shouldn't have to worry about their careers being in jeopardy for that.
    Flaunting was the word choosen....

You ask if I think DADT is all about flaunting......NO.

I think it is about....WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA,sniffel, sniffel.....WAAAAAAA look at me, look at me, cry for me toooo, cry for me to...I'm not treated fair...pooooooor me, poooooor me.

I agree...with Duck...

keep it to yourself...

Do I think they want to have a gay parade in the strees of Kanduhar...NO.

But you can be sure as hell they will try to have them on the streets of Pendelton.....GOOD LUCK.

If they have an honorable career...it would be just that honorable they woundnt do anything to make it not so....a LT. CO. (hetro) act's inapproiate with a NCO their "honorable" career is taken away. It wasnt becasue they are hetro....it was the act...so guess what they dont behave in such a fashion.

I do not/have not and prob. wont serve (age) in the military, but I do serve with Line personal that is a BROTHERHOOD/SISTERHOOD....I have had Homosexual people serve with me...and it was a CONSTANT SHOWCASE...so YEA I DO UNDERSTAND.

And your theroy about homophobes......

Based upon your comments and thoughts and opinions on this board...

You seem to be the SOFT ASS....

NCA

They can serve without mentioning that they are gay just as easily. If they don't want to flaunt it, then why do away with the policy of don't ask, don't tell? And it has nothing to do with being a homophobe either. As for me, it's a personal thing, don't agree with it, never will. I don't judge those that do, but it has no place in the military.
    RIP SGT. David Blake Williams KIA 22 Mar 2008 Iraq

Every day should be Veteran's day.

"They say War is Hell, but I have to disagree. War is easy. It's the living afterwards thats hell." Author Unknown

Quote Originally Posted by Nor_Cal_Angler View Post
    I do not/have not and prob. wont serve (age) in the military, but I do serve with Line personal that is a BROTHERHOOD/SISTERHOOD....
    NCA
    There are vietnam veterans re-upping in the reserves. Age is no barrier in a stretched army. If you feel so strongly, then YOU should enlist or seek a commission, commensurate with your education/experience. It will make you proud to know you're serving your country, and giving some poor kid a break who's been there three or four times.

I don't know what "line personal" is. Power line crew? Offensive line for a football team? There's lots of "lines". Try the "Front Lines" and see how worried you are about the guy next to you being gay or not!
    That is, unless my homophobe theory is correct, you may be distracted!

Happily married with 7 kids regards...
    God Bless PFC Jamie Harkness. The US Army's newest PFC, but still our neighbor's little girl!

Quote Originally Posted by stumpholehunter View Post
    They can serve without mentioning that they are gay just as easily. If they don't want to flaunt it, then why do away with the policy of don't ask, don't tell? And it has nothing to do with being a homophobe either. As for me, it's a personal thing, don't agree with it, never will. I don't judge those that do, but it has no place in the military.
    Because they don't want to risk an otherwise honorable service record being expunged simply due to their sexual orientation? There have been thousands of gays (men and women) serve in peacetime and combat honorably, who risked being discharged if mere rumor escaped. That's not right.

Personally, I don't agree either. I think its disgusting, on a personal level. But I also don't like squid sashimi. (I prefer Unagi) Neither group should be denied the honor of serving their country. Like was already mentioned, news gets out, even without flaunting. I don't think anyone should flaunt any type of sexuality in uniform. You join the military to kill, not to love.
    Having served with a few gays who were fine soldiers, I just don't see why their careers need be in constant jeopardy for something they never flaunted. Its just who they were. I bet you served with at least one male or female that you knew was gay, didn't say anything, and were proud to stand next to him or her and serve? Personal disapproval notwithstanding.

Gibson: You definately have a point, I must concede. So intolerance is a hallmark of Muslim nations, no doubt. Are you suggesting we should digress and be more like them? And continue to discriminate against people we may have a personal or religious dislike for?
    Last edited by dnf777; 12-28-2010 at 05:19 AM.

Because they don't want to risk an otherwise honorable service record being expunged simply due to their sexual orientation? There have been thousands of gays (men and women) serve in peacetime and combat honorably, who risked being discharged if mere rumor escaped. That's not right.

Personally, I don't agree either. I think its disgusting, on a personal level. But I also don't like squid sashimi. (I prefer Unagi) Neither group should be denied the honor of serving their country. Like was already mentioned, news gets out, even without flaunting. I don't think anyone should flaunt any type of sexuality in uniform. You join the military to kill, not to love.
    Having served with a few gays who were fine soldiers, I just don't see why their careers need be in constant jeopardy for something they never flaunted. Its just who they were. I bet you served with at least one male or female that you knew was gay, didn't say anything, and were proud to stand next to him or her and serve? Personal disapproval notwithstanding.

Gibson: You definately have a point, I must concede. So intolerance is a hallmark of Muslim nations, no doubt. Are you suggesting we should digress and be more like them? And continue to discriminate against people we may have a personal or religious dislike for?
    YOU are the one who suggested WE catch up with the rest of the world.

I beleive Mr. Gibson was pointing out the absurdity or YOUR statement.

RK
    Stan b & Elvis