The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Gun Dog Broker
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mmmmmm.....ammonia!

Default Mmmmmm.....ammonia!

From Yahoo:

http://health.yahoo.net/experts/eatt...ur-weight-gain

I thought some of this sounded embellished, so I searched for the company, Beef Products. If you click on "the Process", its all there, and accurate to the story.

The great American staple. Don’t worry, burgers really do come from cows—but have you ever wondered how those giant chains process and distribute so much meat so cheaply? And . . . are you sure you want to know?

The Truth: Most fast-food hamburger patties begin their voyage to your buns in the hands of a company called Beef Products. The company specializes in taking slaughterhouse trimmings—heads and hooves and the like—that are traditionally used only in pet food and cooking oil, and turning them into patties. The challenge is getting this byproduct meat clean enough for human consumption, as both E. coli and salmonella like to concentrate themselves in the fatty deposits.

The company has developed a process for killing beef-based pathogens by forcing the ground meat through pipes and exposing it to ammonia gas—the same chemical you might use to clean your bathroom. Not only has the USDA approved the process, but it's also allowed those who sell the beef to keep it hidden from their customers. At Beef Products’ behest, ammonia gas has been deemed a “processing agent” that need not be identified on nutrition labels. Never mind that if ammonia gets on your skin, it can cause severe burning, and if it gets in your eyes, it can blind you. Add to the gross-out factor the fact that after moving through this lengthy industrial process, a single beef patty can consist of cobbled-together pieces from different cows from all over the world—a practice that only increases the odds of contamination.
    God Bless PFC Jamie Harkness. The US Army's newest PFC, but still our neighbor's little girl!

Banned

i saw Food, Inc. very unpalatable yes, but the toxicity of ammonia at the levels that finally get to you are orders of magnitude lower than what it takes to blister your skin or blind you - the danger is with the workers. i would rather have the ammonia treatment than poison meat on the market.

anything can be toxic - try drinking a gallon of water in 10 minutes.

Quote Originally Posted by david gibson View Post
    i saw Food, Inc. very unpalatable yes, but the toxicity of ammonia at the levels that finally get to you are orders of magnitude lower than what it takes to blister your skin or blind you - the danger is with the workers. i would rather have the ammonia treatment than poison meat on the market.

anything can be toxic - try drinking a gallon of water in 10 minutes.
    I realize that. I'm more disgusted by eating everything but the moo. By the time they're done "processing" the scraps, there is little or no nutritional value left. We bought half a steer from a friend for $2 a pound. Not only infinitely more healthy and safe, but a helluva lot cheaper too.

They said they remove the sinew and other non-edible components when making beef patties. Wonder what they use in the hotdogs??
    God Bless PFC Jamie Harkness. The US Army's newest PFC, but still our neighbor's little girl!

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by dnf777 View Post
    I realize that. I'm more disgusted by eating everything but the moo. By the time they're done "processing" the scraps, there is little or no nutritional value left. We bought half a steer from a friend for $2 a pound. Not only infinitely more healthy and safe, but a helluva lot cheaper too.

They said they remove the sinew and other non-edible components when making beef patties. Wonder what they use in the hotdogs??
    you just now figuring that one out?

. I'm more disgusted by eating everything but the moo. ??
    I'm surprised. Other countries let very little go to waste, I'd think you'd be proud that "we're catching up tp them".
    "It's not that government is inherently stupid, although that's a debatable question."
    Rand Paul CPAC speech 2011

I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it. Thomas Jefferson to Archibald Stuart, 1791

Quote Originally Posted by BrianW View Post
    I'm surprised. Other countries let very little go to waste, I'd think you'd be proud that "we're catching up tp them".
    Over eating is one area where we definitely lead the world, many times over.
    Now we're giving our KIDS statins to lower their cholesterol and lipids???
    And anti-hypertensives, so they don't get high blood pressure from their nintendos. God forbid a little reasonable diet and exercise.

Just poking fun in light of how you've posted in other threads about we need to catch up to the rest of the world in other ways.

Bet you don't watch "Bizarre Foods" with Andrew Zimmern too much do you? Or eat too much Jell-o?

Here's a nice Jamaican recipe for you (with NO ammonia!)
    Cow foot Stew

http://www.jamaican-recipes.com/cowfoot.html
    "It's not that government is inherently stupid, although that's a debatable question."
    Rand Paul CPAC speech 2011

I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it. Thomas Jefferson to Archibald Stuart, 1791

No, I don't watch that show.
    And I don't care for cow foot stew, but I bet its healthier for you than a twinkie.

Many years ago, McDonads had a commercial that showed the outline of a full cow with various parts labeled: sirloin, t-bone, etc. The narrative assured you that "every part of the cow shown here goes into McDonalds all-beef patties." Imagining a giant funnel in the ground, with cows driven into it for slaughter, and beef patties being excreted from the other end, I viewed this as a brilliant example of truth in advertising.

Banned

No, I don't watch that show.
    And I don't care for cow foot stew, but I bet its healthier for you than a twinkie.
    even if it was processed with ammonia????