The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media

Thread: 2010 was a tough year, but...

Default 2010 was a tough year, but...

...I made it. But not everyone was so lucky. The economy was so bad that I got a pre-declined credit card in the mail. <> I ordered a burger at McDonald's, and the kid behind the counter asked, "Can you afford fries with that?" <> CEO's are now playing miniature golf. <> If the bank returns your check marked "Insufficient Funds," you have to call them and ask if they mean you or them. <> Hot Wheels and Matchbox stocks are trading higher than GM. <> Parents in Beverly Hills and Malibu are firing their nannies and learning the names of their children. <> A truckload of Americans was caught sneaking into Mexico. <> Dick Cheney took his stockbroker hunting. <> Motel Six won't leave the light on anymore. <> The Mafia is laying off judges. <> BP Oil laid off 25 Congressmen. <> Congress says they are looking into the Bernard Madoff scandal. Oh Great! The guy who made $50 billion disappear is being investigated by the people who made $1.5 trillion disappear! <> And, finally, I was so depressed last night thinking about the economy, wars, jobs, my savings, Social Security, retirement funds, and our bleak future, that I called the Suicide Lifeline and was connected to a call center in Pakistan. When I told them I was suicidal, they got all excited, and asked if I could drive a truck.

Expecting better in 2011? Not me, but I hope I can still joke about it.

UB

When the one you love becomes a memory, that memory becomes a treasure.

Also was sent this as a follow up. Those that think history is important, should find this enjoyable...and those that don't, should find this informative.

UB

What a difference a century makes!Here are some statistics for the Year 1910: the average life expectancy for men was 47 years. <> Fuel for this car was sold in drug stores only. <> Only 14 percent of the homes had a bathtub. <> Only 8 percent of the homes had a telephone. <> There were only 8,000 cars and only 144 miles of paved roads. <> The maximum speed limit in most cities was 10 mph. <> The tallest structure in the world was the Eiffel Tower! <> The average US wage in 1910 was 22 cents per hour. <> The average US worker earned less than $400 annually. <> A competent accountant could expect to earn $2000 per year, a dentist $2,500 per year, a veterinarian between $1,500 and $4,000 per year, and a mechanical engineer about $5,000 per year. <> More than 95 percent of all births took place at HOME. <> Ninety percent of all Doctors had NO COLLEGE EDUCATION! Instead, they attended so-called medical schools, many of which were condemned in the press AND the government as 'substandard.' <> Sugar cost four cents a pound. <> Eggs were fourteen cents a dozen. <> Coffee was fifteen cents a pound. <> Most women only washed their hair once a month, and used Borax or egg yolks for shampoo. <> Canada passed a law that prohibited poor people from entering into their country for any reason. <> The five leading causes of death were: 1.Pneumonia and influenza 2.Tuberculosis 3.Diarrhea 4.Heart disease 5. Stroke <> The American flag had 45 stars. <> The population of Las Vegas, Nevada, was only 30! <> Crossword puzzles, canned beer, and iced tea hadn't been invented yet. <> There was no Mother's Day or Father's Day. <> Two out of every 10 adults couldn't read or write, and only 6 percent of all Americans had graduated from high school. <> Marijuana, heroin, and morphine were all available over the counter at the local corner drugstores. Back then pharmacists said, 'Heroin clears the complexion, gives buoyancy to the mind, regulates the stomach and bowels, and is, in fact, a perfect guardian of health'. <> Eighteen percent of households had at least one full-time servant or domestic help. <> There were about 230 reported murders in the ENTIRE U.S.A. <> Try to imagine what it may be like in another 100 years.
    When the one you love becomes a memory, that memory becomes a treasure.

Banned

Thanks for the perspective,...and the laugh

There really wasn't any iced tea in 1910

Snick

Quote Originally Posted by Snicklefritz View Post
    Thanks for the perspective,...and the laugh

There really wasn't any iced tea in 1910

Snick
    Heck, ice wasn't invented until 1919.
    M&K's HR UH Tucker of Texoma JH
    M&K's SHR Prime Black Angus
    M&K's Miss Jessie Girl JH
    Sir Jacob of Lakeview-Jake
    Freeway JYD

Mike Whitworth

Interesting post, UB. I hate to admit that I am old enough to remember when block ice deliveries were the order of the day ( that was in town ). Those living out in the country went to town to buy their block of ice. Man that was good ice though. You did use it sparingly and hoped it would last in that old wooden ice box till the next trip as far as town. Cold water was drawn from the well and carried to those working out in the field. Well water was very cold if the well was deep enough. Many people had a bucket lowered into the well with the butter etc. in that bucket. I thank God often for my modern appliances. When I was in high school my parents got their first gas fridge. We were too far off the regular road for electricity. That gas fridge could sure freeze water.

Yes, 2010 was a tough year, but 2011 will be even tougher for the righties who expect that an R. congress is going to do business in anything but the usual way. Pork and earmarks will be coming. Nothing will change. Spending will continue, and we'll have no one to blame but ourselves...JD
    One cannot reason someone out of something they were not reasoned into. - Jonathan Swift

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by JDogger View Post
    Yes, 2010 was a tough year, but 2011 will be even tougher for the righties who expect that an R. congress is going to do business in anything but the usual way. Pork and earmarks will be coming. Nothing will change. Spending will continue, and we'll have no one to blame but ourselves...JD
    shut up already. this was a fun, whimsical, non political thread till you had to butt in. cant we have a little fun here and there without making it political? you must be a very angry person deep down.

i didnt think i was old, but my first job was for 1.10 at a local store. my duties were to scrap the meat chopping blocks and run blocks of ice through the chipper and fill wax paper bags for the customers.

and just a few miles away was "wolf corner" where red wolves and coyotes were hung after having their right ears removed to collect the $5 bounty.