The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: GOP Budget Hypocrisy is Boundless

Quote Originally Posted by Buzz View Post
    Yes, that is pretty ridiculous. There are two ways to look at this. One is that they wanted to put enough dems together to get a dem representative. The other way to look at it could be that they put all the dems into one district so all they would get is one representative instead of two or more. Depending on who's pulling the strings, it can go either way.
    If you read the history this was designed to be a BLACK district, There have been many court challenges over the years and it has gotten a bit shorter and fatter over the years but the underlying desire to have a BLACK district has remained and has been for some unknown reason surviving in the courts to a point. They key here is that it is designed for a specific purpose, to create by any creative means a BLACK dominated district.
    Hihope Hiland Heathen of Perth CD, RE, CGC, TDI

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by luvmylabs23139 View Post
    If you read the history this was designed to be a BLACK district, There have been many court challenges over the years and it has gotten a bit shorter and fatter over the years but the underlying desire to have a BLACK district has remained and has been for some unknown reason surviving in the courts to a point. They key here is that it is designed for a specific purpose, to create by any creative means a BLACK dominated district.
    oh but it has to be for dubious reasons, it has to be because republicans forced it in some way. buzz has to have something to hate here. so it had to be done to pool all the black votes into one district to dilute their influence in the other districts. has to be the reps fault somehow.

Quote Originally Posted by david gibson View Post
    oh but it has to be for dubious reasons, it has to be because republicans forced it in some way. buzz has to have something to hate here. so it had to be done to pool all the black votes into one district to dilute their influence in the other districts. has to be the reps fault somehow.
    I don't have any hate.

Do you doubt that the same hasn't been done in both blue and red states? The statement was made that they drew the lines to get a dem in. I was merely pointing out that it can be done to dilute influence too, and it does get done that way to the benefit of dems and repubs.

I can't just sit here and watch the spin all go one way!
    "For everyone to whom much is given, of him shall much be required." -- Luke 12:48

Raven - Moneybird's Black Magic Marker***
    (Esprit's Power Play x Trumarc's Lean Cuisine)
    Mick - Moneybird's Jumpin' Jack Flash***
    (Clubmead's Road Warrior x Oakdale Whitewater Devil Dog)
    Peerless - Moneybird's Sole Survivor
    (Two River's Lucky Willie x Moneybird's Black Magic Marker)

Banned

I don't have any hate.

Do you doubt that the same hasn't been done in both blue and red states? The statement was made that they drew the lines to get a dem in. I was merely pointing out that it can be done to dilute influence too, and it does get done that way to the benefit of dems and repubs.

if you had read my post #15 you would recall i said it first:

"gerrymandering is also a problem. districts are too often drawn so that they are lopsidedly one way or the other - both parties have done it. a more even district helps ensure that there is always a viable challenger."

so why are pointing out only where reps did it as you did with texas 19?

I don't have any hate.

You usually do.......depending on which way it's a spinnin'.

RK
    Stan b & Elvis

Quote Originally Posted by david gibson View Post
    if you had read my post #15 you would recall i said it first:

"gerrymandering is also a problem. districts are too often drawn so that they are lopsidedly one way or the other - both parties have done it. a more even district helps ensure that there is always a viable challenger."

so why are pointing out only where reps did it as you did with texas 19?

I didn't mean to point a finger to texas 19 except that I know you're from Texas and it was one of the more interesting ones I saw with only a few seconds of looking. I'm sure I could have found something more ridiculous if I was willing to spend the time.

You pointed out that both parties do it and I agree wholeheartedly. I was just pointing out that it doesn't always get used just to make a one lopsided district where there is no competition. It can also be used in a state where the balance between parties is pretty tight statewide, but if you draw something to get a single lopsided district, it can swing the others in a way that it sways the overall representation in the state the other way whereas it might be otherwise pretty balanced.

Am I being clear as mud?
    "For everyone to whom much is given, of him shall much be required." -- Luke 12:48

Raven - Moneybird's Black Magic Marker***
    (Esprit's Power Play x Trumarc's Lean Cuisine)
    Mick - Moneybird's Jumpin' Jack Flash***
    (Clubmead's Road Warrior x Oakdale Whitewater Devil Dog)
    Peerless - Moneybird's Sole Survivor
    (Two River's Lucky Willie x Moneybird's Black Magic Marker)

I didn't mean to point a finger to texas 19 except that I know you're from Texas and it was one of the more interesting ones I saw with only a few seconds of looking. I'm sure I could have found something more ridiculous if I was willing to spend the time.

You pointed out that both parties do it and I agree wholeheartedly. I was just pointing out that it doesn't always get used just to make a one lopsided district where there is no competition. It can also be used in a state where the balance between parties is pretty tight statewide, but if you draw something to get a single lopsided district, it can swing the others in a way that it sways the overall representation in the state the other way whereas it might be otherwise pretty balanced.

Am I being clear as mud?
    Well, it stopped spinning....I think.

RK
    Stan b & Elvis

Quote Originally Posted by sinner View Post
    Term limits for all elected officials!
    Don't we have term limits? It's called an election. People just need to get out and vote out their elected official(s) if they don't like them. Unfortunately, too many people aren't going to take the time to research what their elected officials have done while in office.

Quote Originally Posted by Blackstone View Post
    Don't we have term limits? It's called an election. People just need to get out and vote out their elected official(s) if they don't like them. Unfortunately, too many people aren't going to take the time to research what their elected officials have done while in office.

So, what percentage of the active voting electorate has any idea who and what they are voting for.

I mean during the last election several TV shows had a lot of fun asking people on the street particulars about the candidate they had chosen.

It was hysterically....sad!!

It's my perseption that most of those who voted for Obama could not elaborate any specifics as to why.

I'm sure the progressives felt the same way in the previous elections.

But why have term limits on the Presidency then??
    Because Bush would still be President??

RK
    Stan b & Elvis

Yes, that is pretty ridiculous. There are two ways to look at this. One is that they wanted to put enough dems together to get a dem representative. The other way to look at it could be that they put all the dems into one district so all they would get is one representative instead of two or more. Depending on who's pulling the strings, it can go either way.
    This one was done your way, Buzz: only it was to throw all the land-owning, rural Republicans into one district and spin off some new ones with higher liberal concentrations closer to D.C. It worked in the last Presidential election because otherwise the current POTUS would never have won here. This is Virginia's first Congressional district, that gets evermore distorted every time the Democrats get their hooks into it. It looks like the creator was smoking crack.

This district now stretches from the Blue Ridge Mountains (where I live), meandering across the Piedmont area, takes in some but not all of the tidewater Chesapeake Bay country, and wanders carefully around the few remaining rural areas near Williamsburg and Newport News in the Hampton Roads area.

Wouldn't it make sense to divide the state into the mountain, piedmont, tidewater and Hampton Roads regions instead of this political gerrymandering? I'm in the same congressional district as one of my sisters who lives 4 hours away near Williamsburg, and yet my other sister, who's only 45 minutes north, is 2 districts away. She lives in the burgeoning D.C. suburb of Woodbridge (a.k.a. Hoodbridge).

Virginia's always been reliably conservative despite explosive population growth in Northern Va. and Hampton Roads, so what they did was squiggle lines across a 200-mile swath so the most rural conservative areas were all lumped together in one "give-away" district. This also had the effect of preventing any dilution of the voting habits of all the new residents in Northern VA and Hampton Roads. And, the chance to elect more liberals to Congress since Virginia got new seats. With the rural parts spun off, these new seats could be decided by all the foreigners, govt. leeches, commie symps and other come-heres that have moved here recently.
    Julie R., Hope Springs Farm
    Chesapeake Bay Retrievers since 1981