The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: America's worst 10 years start right now!

Default America's worst 10 years start right now!

Paul B. Farrell posted this article on Market Watch. What do you think?

http://www.marketwatch.com/story/ame...ow-2011-01-04#
    Last edited by zeus3925; 01-05-2011 at 02:56 PM.
    Zeus

I don't want to feed an ugly dog!

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by zeus3925 View Post

i would guess that by the crickets chirping for hours nobody cares.......kinda like "FOAD DG dnf777" getting all weepy over a 2 hit wonder.

nobody cared.

got something else that might stimulate a conversation??? and what does this have to do with dog training??
    Last edited by david gibson; 01-05-2011 at 04:29 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by zeus3925 View Post

Zeus,
    Very sombering reading, and hopefully WRONG! But it seems like the foundation has already been laid.

I'm not sure I agree with the timeframe, for one. I think the super rich (including corporations) have already gained control of Washington. While lobbyists have always had a say, now they don't just influence legislation, they WRITE it.
    God Bless PFC Jamie Harkness. The US Army's newest PFC, but still our neighbor's little girl!

I am not a lobbyist or even close, but I have gotten myself involved in sportsmen's issues. Most legislators don't know squat about the details of sportsmen's issues, so I have written a few bills for them. It is much easier to get a legislator to sign on to a bill if all the work is done for them, rather than have their staff do all the research on an issue. BTW, this is at the state level.
    I know enough, I just can't think of most of it.

Quote Originally Posted by biggeorge50 View Post
    I am not a lobbyist or even close, but I have gotten myself involved in sportsmen's issues. Most legislators don't know squat about the details of sportsmen's issues, so I have written a few bills for them. It is much easier to get a legislator to sign on to a bill if all the work is done for them, rather than have their staff do all the research on an issue. BTW, this is at the state level.
    And that is scary. No offense meant to you, but if congressmen can't assemble a staff to research the facts, interview experts or interested people such as yourself, and come up with a bill intended to accomplish common goals, then they shouldn't be there. That is the logistics of their job.

If they know so little about topics (which I agree with you on that) letting a biased party (ie lobbyist) draft the bill, don't you think that is more likely to result in pork spending, and selfish components? Again, not in YOUR case, but think of industry and banking lobby firms drafting thousand page bills to promote their own interests.
    God Bless PFC Jamie Harkness. The US Army's newest PFC, but still our neighbor's little girl!

Quote Originally Posted by dnf777 View Post
    And that is scary. No offense meant to you, but if congressmen can't assemble a staff to research the facts, interview experts or interested people such as yourself, and come up with a bill intended to accomplish common goals, then they shouldn't be there. That is the logistics of their job.

If they know so little about topics (which I agree with you on that) letting a biased party (ie lobbyist) draft the bill, don't you think that is more likely to result in pork spending, and selfish components? Again, not in YOUR case, but think of industry and banking lobby firms drafting thousand page bills to promote their own interests.
    OMFG... biggeorge50 doesn't think he's a lobbyist... We're in trouble.
    One cannot reason someone out of something they were not reasoned into. - Jonathan Swift

Quote Originally Posted by dnf777 View Post

It's nothing new; it was going on when I worked at the State Dept. in the mid 1980s. Even then, I could probably name on one hand the Congresscritters that actually knew anything about 99 percent of the legislation they introduced. And few were the media whores of today's Congress, either. If you asked one a question about a bill with his/her name on it and they sounded like the current Prezz w/o his teleprompter--that stammering, befuddled cow at the slaughterhouse ramp routine. The staff ostensibly drafts the legislation but it's all a matter of degrees of influence peddling. Some comes from the lobbyists, more comes from the industries affected, and some even comes from the various different government agencies.
    Julie R., Hope Springs Farm
    Chesapeake Bay Retrievers since 1981

Quote Originally Posted by Julie R. View Post
    It's nothing new; it was going on when I worked at the State Dept. in the mid 1980s. Even then, I could probably name on one hand the Congresscritters that actually knew anything about 99 percent of the legislation they introduced. And few were the media whores of today's Congress, either. If you asked one a question about a bill with his/her name on it and they sounded like the current Prezz w/o his teleprompter--that stammering, befuddled cow at the slaughterhouse ramp routine. The staff ostensibly drafts the legislation but it's all a matter of degrees of influence peddling. Some comes from the lobbyists, more comes from the industries affected, and some even comes from the various different government agencies.

doesn't it just make you feel good now? That's the way it's always been, and always will be???
    One cannot reason someone out of something they were not reasoned into. - Jonathan Swift

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by JDogger View Post

doesn't it just make you feel good now? That's the way it's always been, and always will be???
    so nice to see people like you that have hope for the future - and so sad to an old man whose glass is always half empty......

Quote Originally Posted by david gibson View Post
    so nice to see people like you that have hope for the future - and so sad to an old man whose glass is always half empty......
    David, I'm alot older than you...JD

If you shave off that SF bullseye goatee, you could look better too.

(I'm not ready to stop snarky quite yet. )

JD

well not until dinner comes outta the oven...