The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media

Thread: NC airlines best for shipping pups/dogs

Default NC airlines best for shipping pups/dogs

I;m wondering what airlines are the best shipping a crated dog. I heard a while back one carrier was going to allow a certain amount of dog crates to be in the passenger compartment...was this just a rumor?

You might try posting this on the main forum...None of us talk about dogs. In fact, some of us may not even own dogs. We are merely pretending to own them so we can remain members of this website and argue about politics, berating each other along the way...

That being said, I would suggest renting an apache helicopter.

What ducknwork said, if you post this over on the main forum it'll get more responses than here. That said, I actually do own dogs and have shipped both adults and pups. I never heard of full sized retriever crates being allowed in the cabins and highly doubt with as many people as they squeeze in ever-shrinking spaces, that any would even have room for dog crates; they go in cargo. Hence most airlines embargo shipping when it's below 20 degrees anywhere on the route, although a few such as Continental have climate-controlled cargo areas on SOME planes. For all cargo dogs, pup to adult, airlines only take a certain number, so you have to be persistent and flexible when making shipping arrangements.

That said: some airlines will allow you to bring a dog (small) as carry-on in one of the soft sided carriers. They can't be over 20 lbs. total for dog + carrier and there are dimension restrictions too. But most retriever pups under 11 weeks would fit that requirement and I know plenty of people who've done that when picking up a puppy. I've heard those that accept them as carry on will only take a few per flight, but bottom line, when shipping you have to do quite a bit of research. Google dog live animal airline shipping and it will give you airlines and live cargo numbers to start calling. No Orbit or Travelocity that searches for bargain dog shipping that I know of.
    Julie R., Hope Springs Farm
    Chesapeake Bay Retrievers since 1981

Quote Originally Posted by gracefarms View Post
    I;m wondering what airlines are the best shipping a crated dog. I heard a while back one carrier was going to allow a certain amount of dog crates to be in the passenger compartment...was this just a rumor?
    I'm not sure what your needs are but there are some ground transport companies that are good I hear. I have no personal knowledge at this time though.

We haven't had a bird dog in a while though so I haven't shipped one of those Last time I did ship a chihuahua I used Delta and was very happy with the service on the shipping. I was not happy with the clerk who went to a back room with my credit card in his hand and was gone for almost 20 minutes. His command of the English ( read American version ) language was not good.