The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Gun Dog Broker
Page 21 of 23 FirstFirst ... 111920212223 LastLast

Thread: Your NFL Pick

Quote Originally Posted by Roger Perry View Post
    In case you have not noticed the officials are calling penalities on players that go helmet to helmet. The NFL is also fining players that have helmet to helmet contact but sometimes that cannot be avoided. If a player ducks at the last second a defender may not have enough time to readjust his tackle because things happen in split seconds time and most tackles are made with the shoulder and with the head down, not up.

Hockey on the other hand uses body checks with their head up not going in head first. The object is to knock the other player off the puck not make a tackle.
    In the GB/Chicago game no such penalty was called when Rogers was drilled in the jaw by the top of Peppers helmet and at the same time hit in the head by a Bears player coming from the other side. Rogers did not duck (didn't have time to) and got hit in the head by both guys... no flag. As of yet, no fine from the league either.
    Bill Davis

Quote Originally Posted by Sue Kiefer View Post
    That's crap.
    Leading with the head.
    That's called "Head Hunting".
    Should be fined a bazillion amount of money.
    Hockey (where checking is allowed and used affectively) doesn't tolerate the darn head hunting.
    Cheap shots are for players thats all they have going for them. Not good but cheap.
    Talk to me when you are sitting in intensive care with someone that has taken such a shot to the head.
    Sue
    Been there, done that. Put a ventriculostomy into a brain.

That's why I want soft helmets. I'm looking for an effective solution, one that does NOT depend on people following rules. We know that never works, that's why we invented "penalties".

Oh, and I believe one reason hockey players don't lead with their heads is twofold. One, you can lower your body in the same manner as you do with cleats on grass. Two, I think hockey players carry a big stick with them! Of course, we NEVER see penalties for cross-checking, do we?

ps...do YOU want to tell James Harrison that cheap hits is all he has going for him? That's kind of silly, eh?
    God Bless PFC Jamie Harkness. The US Army's newest PFC, but still our neighbor's little girl!

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by huntinman View Post
    In the GB/Chicago game no such penalty was called when Rogers was drilled in the jaw by the top of Peppers helmet and at the same time hit in the head by a Bears player coming from the other side. Rogers did not duck (didn't have time to) and got hit in the head by both guys... no flag. As of yet, no fine from the league either.
    And if the officials missed a call whose fault was that? You will have to ask whomever is in charge of handing out fines why this hit was overlooked

DNF: Quote:Been there, done that. Put a ventriculostomy into a brain.Quote:

I'm confused: You're proud of that?

DNF777 quote:Oh, and I believe one reason hockey players don't lead with their heads is twofold. One, you can lower your body in the same manner as you do with cleats on grass. Two, I think hockey players carry a big stick with them! Of course, we NEVER see penalties for cross-checking, do we?Quote:

Huh???

That cheap shot to the head was penalized. I believe 15yds..
    The replay clearly showed he was "Head-Hunting".
    Remember minutes later 15 yds. penalty for defensive pass interference.Same drive I believe.
    Yes, I'm fully away that players lead with their heads as it is the first part forward on your body but to the head???Are you serious!!

The game has come down to taking out players instead of the mere skill of winning?
    Sue
    Never confuse activity with success.

"Ummmmmmm Isn't a word." Judge Judy

What else would one expect from teams that ban cheerleaders. If they are that angry with woman, is it any wonder they lead with thier skulls?

DNF, You are going to have to teach me how to do one of those
    ventriculostomy. Do you get to peak into the brain?
    Last edited by Franco; 01-26-2011 at 01:03 PM.
    The Libertarian Party believes that all persons are entitled to keep the fruits of their labor. A call for the repeal of the income tax, abolishment of the Internal Revenue Service and all federal programs and services not required under the U.S. Constitution. We support the passage of a "Balanced Budget Amendment" to the U.S. Constitution, provided that the budget is balanced exclusively by cutting expenditures, and not by raising taxes. LP.org

Quote Originally Posted by Franco View Post

DNF, You are going to have to teach me how to do one of those
    ventriculostomy. Do you get to peak into the brain?
    I don't think that's what dnf usually peeks into.
    M&K's HR UH Tucker of Texoma JH
    M&K's SHR Prime Black Angus
    M&K's Miss Jessie Girl JH
    Sir Jacob of Lakeview-Jake
    Freeway JYD

Mike Whitworth

DNF: Quote:Been there, done that. Put a ventriculostomy into a brain.Quote:

I'm confused: You're proud of that?

DNF777 quote:Oh, and I believe one reason hockey players don't lead with their heads is twofold. One, you can lower your body in the same manner as you do with cleats on grass. Two, I think hockey players carry a big stick with them! Of course, we NEVER see penalties for cross-checking, do we?Quote:

Huh???

That cheap shot to the head was penalized. I believe 15yds..
    The replay clearly showed he was "Head-Hunting".
    Remember minutes later 15 yds. penalty for defensive pass interference.Same drive I believe.
    Yes, I'm fully away that players lead with their heads as it is the first part forward on your body but to the head???Are you serious!!

The game has come down to taking out players instead of the mere skill of winning?
    Sue
    Its a bedside procedure in NICUs. Its done to relieve intracranial pressure by siponing off CSF. Its done to save lives. Yes, in that regard, I am proud to have been able to help those who have needed one. Gabby Giffords just had one removed.

I think you misunderstood my comments. I want to see soft helmets again, in order to reduce this activity.

M&K, you're right. My specialty is colon and rectal surgery. However, when dealing with right wing extremists, I do indeed get a glance into their brains!
    But as a general surgeon also, part of the job is trauma. I haven't put in a ventric in many years, and really don't care to do so again.

A friend of mine published the book "Never the same once air touches the Brain" about training to become a neurosurgeon. There's something to be said for that. Many folks that need a ventric don't do well.
    God Bless PFC Jamie Harkness. The US Army's newest PFC, but still our neighbor's little girl!

Quote Originally Posted by huntinman View Post
    they didn't call the one in the Pats-Jets game either, where the guy leveled Welker and PIECES OF HELMET were flying thru the air.....-Paul
    there's no good reason to fatten up a retriever.

How will the soft helmets prevent the aholes of the game from successing with bashing someone's head in.?
    Suspension and a very very large fine. I don't know. I hate to see anyone hurt that is preventable.
    And yes the reason that youngsters are taught to keep their head up in hockey "IS" to prevent injuries of their head when falling either from getting checked(PeeWee's and up) or falling on their own free will(opps falls).
    Checking is taught and allowed in (PeeWee level and up maybe changed next yr. to reflect Bantams and up)to take control of the puck only NOT to just hit someone.
    Hitting someone for the hell of it is called:Unsportsman- like -conduct and can be a minor penalty or a major depending on the severity.
    Most kids have on their jersey's patches that reflect the "Zero Tolerance" policy of USA Hockey, Both for parents(spectators) and players.
    Trying to teach from the ground floor.
    Now if only the NFL or NHL only set good examples
    Never confuse activity with success.

"Ummmmmmm Isn't a word." Judge Judy

Wink

That's crap.
    Leading with the head.
    That's called "Head Hunting".
    Should be fined a bazillion amount of money.
    Hockey (where checking is allowed and used affectively) doesn't tolerate the darn head hunting.
    Cheap shots are for players thats all they have going for them. Not good but cheap.
    Talk to me when you are sitting in intensive care with someone that has taken such a shot to the head.
    Sue
    You go girl!!