The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: dog food

Default dog food

Does anyone use Kirtland dog food from Cosco?
    The numbers look good, and the cost is lower than porplan.
    Bill Ferrans
    HRCH UH Marsh Deacons Shadow Bear

HRCH UH Free Spirit Marsh Deacon MH (760 points)
    06/24/2000 to 09/05/2010 missed forever

I am very happy with Kirkland's - it is made by Diamond Naturals.
    However, I don't work my dogs (they just hang around the house) so I am not sure energy wise how it compares.

it's great

Good food for a not very active dog. It's made by Diamond. It basically Diamonds adult large breed formula.
    I would pay the extra $5 and go with Diamond Natural line or if your dog is highly active, which they usually are if you're on this site, look at the Diamond Extreme Athlete.

Just a heads up some on here will be bashing Diamond shortly.
    The foundation to a great retriever is obedience.
    Firestorms Full Throttle Chevy aka Callie-Roo 7/5/2007 - 10/25/2013 I miss you every day
    Proud owner of Kona's Surfer Girl, aka Loki.

Banned

I think Sportmix Premium is the best of the value foods, either the black bag or the reddish bag, 50lbs for about $30.

My nephew feeds Kirkland and his Rottweiler looks great. I feed PMI Exclusive to my lab. Found in feed stores and very cost effective. He looks great too.

[QUOTE=metalone67;1147524]Good food for a not very active dog. It's made by Diamond. It basically Diamonds adult large breed formula.
    I would pay the extra $5 and go with Diamond Natural line or if your dog is highly active, which they usually are if you're on this site, look at the Diamond Extreme Athlete.

I disagree. I have been feeding Costco Lamb and Rice for probably 12 years and dogs are doing great.Very good coats, stool, etc. I have a dog that is running all age stakes and hunting and no loss of stamina or weight. I also feed it to my 12 year old BLF that hunted for years on it.

Jeff
    Jeff Gruber
    working on pelts
    Duckponds Prize Package
    CK'S Contessa (avatar)
    Ice Chilled Juice

You disagree? You know you're feeding Diamond Natural in a Costco bag, don't you?
    I was just suggesting Extreme due to high protein/fat if his dog is very active.
    The foundation to a great retriever is obedience.
    Firestorms Full Throttle Chevy aka Callie-Roo 7/5/2007 - 10/25/2013 I miss you every day
    Proud owner of Kona's Surfer Girl, aka Loki.

Quote Originally Posted by MSDOGS1976 View Post
    My nephew feeds Kirkland and his Rottweiler looks great. I feed PMI Exclusive to my lab. Found in feed stores and very cost effective. He looks great too.
    Cost effective????? How much do you pay for the Exclusive? I used to feed it until the price got up to equal or more than Eukanuba then Switched to Euk. Since Euk raised the price on me again I am looking for a change. Picked up a bag of Exclusive yesterday and per pound it was $.02 per pound more than I pay for Euk but I buy Euk wholesale and the Exclusive was retail. Wouldn't mind going back to Exclusive but I'll have to see if I can get a deal on it. For those that pay $30 for 50 lbs all I can say is you get what you pay for. There has to be a reason it is so cheap.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Shaver View Post
    Cost effective????? How much do you pay for the Exclusive? I used to feed it until the price got up to equal or more than Eukanuba then Switched to Euk. Since Euk raised the price on me again I am looking for a change. Picked up a bag of Exclusive yesterday and per pound it was $.02 per pound more than I pay for Euk but I buy Euk wholesale and the Exclusive was retail. Wouldn't mind going back to Exclusive but I'll have to see if I can get a deal on it. For those that pay $30 for 50 lbs all I can say is you get what you pay for. There has to be a reason it is so cheap.
    If you can find it in your area you should try this http://www.victordogfood.com/ I use the hi pro its a 30/20 mix and you can pick a bag up for $32 for a 40# bag. Lots of people use it and always have good results. Its a corn free gluten free food too so not bad for the price and all the meats in it are meals which contain more protein.