The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: NY Rep. King to introduce gun safety bill

Default NY Rep. King to introduce gun safety bill

(Warning disclaimer: This post may offend some, in which case you might want to go hug yourself)

Long Island Republican Rep. Peter King says he plans to introduce tough new gun safety legislation in Congress.

King said his bill would make it illegal to knowingly carry a gun within a thousand feet of "certain high-profile" government officials.
    http://libn.com/blog/2011/01/11/king...n-safety-bill/

Dnf was asking in the Giffords shooting thread why the right was acting so defensive? Well, here we go. Maybe it's because every time some mental aberrant/criminal perpetrates a tragedy like in Tucson, some jackwagon decides it's their duty to chug on over and give law-abiding citizens a collective kick in the crotch in the guise of "We have to do SOMETHING!". Does anyone really think that if this bill was law on Jan 8th, that it would have averted that shooting? All it would actually do is create yet another "gun free zone" where the criminals who don't care about laws would know they're relatively safe because citizens couldn't defend themselves or the politicians/bystanders this would supposedly protect. And while Boehner spokesman Michael Steel said the Speaker would not support King’s legislation, the office of Rep. Eric Cantor (R-Va.) said the majority leader is reserving judgment until the King bill is finalized. Meanwhile Sarah Brady & her posse kick off their new "Enough is Enough" campaign to exploit the emotions of the moment. And the AWB will be re-introduced in a short manner of time, guaranteed. Because it's not those people, it's those evil guns again.

Meanwhile, some lawmakers say that "incendiary punditry" helped ignite the Arizona rampage. Sen. Sherrod Brown (D-Ohio) said the violence-laced remarks from Glenn Beck, Bill O’Reilly and other political commentators should be toned down, even though the more important role that mental health played in the deadly shooting is being overshadowed & they were likely not the impetus for the shooting spree. Never mind that Jared's friends, classmates & instructors were afraid of him and the system failed. It doesn't matter that apparently he had a grudge against Giffords long before Palin hit the national spotlight.
    We now have calls for a "civility commission" from Sheriff Dupnik and others. Great! Maybe they can establish some "verbal morality code" ala "Demolition Man" where we can be monitored & fined for using 1984 "bad speak" words/phrases that are too "inciting", "offensive", "combative", 'vociferous" yada yada.

Can you picture what could happen to some our most famous documents and oratories with THAT in place?

"Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it, Almighty God! I know not what course others may take; but as for me, give me liberty or give me death!" No, we're sorry Mr. Henry but that's much too inflammatory, inciting & combative.

The history of the present King of Great Britain is a history of repeated injuries and usurpations, all having in direct object the establishment of an absolute Tyranny over these States. Mr. Jefferson could you please tone down the vociferous, incendiary nature of your rhetoric? You could offend the Tories and someone might want to shoot a Redcoat or a Hessian.

Mr. Gorbachev, tear down this wall!" We must insist tha you use a more civil tone in your discourse with the Soviets, Mr Reagan!

Defensive? Hell yes I am! Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety. That's as true now as it was when Franklin said it. But unfortunately the "might's" & "maybes" of our Loughners, Lee's, Chapman's, Hinckley's etc always seem to find a way to take precedence over, what should be, unalienable rights.
    "It's not that government is inherently stupid, although that's a debatable question."
    Rand Paul CPAC speech 2011

I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it. Thomas Jefferson to Archibald Stuart, 1791

That is a fantastic piece of literature. Nice work. You should send it to your local paper as a letter to the editor and see if they'll publish in their op-ed.

My only quibble would be the first sentence, "Dnf was asking in the Giffords shooting thread why the right was acting so defensive?" You shouldn't have had to write your post in response to Dnf's question, because it was already self-evident to all but the most obtuse and disingenuous that the finger of blame was being pointed at the right well before the facts became known. That dumbsh!t sheriff pinned it on conservative media and the Republicans in Congress within hours of the shootings. The lefties in cable were blaming it on the culture of hate created by conservatives. The blogosphere flying monkey left was blaming Palin. So there was already plenty of reason to be defensive; your excellent post not withstanding.

Edit...and btw, screw Peter King. As a society we can agree or disagree politically on the merits of gun control. But if you believe that gun control prevents crimes, like King apparently does, then having those laws only applicable to protect people like him is offensive. He's worth protecting and we're not?!?
    Last edited by Hew; 01-12-2011 at 06:55 AM.
    I'll take the river down to still water and ride a pack of dogs.

Quote Originally Posted by Hew View Post
    That is a fantastic piece of literature. Nice work. You should send it to your local paper as a letter to the editor and see if they'll publish in their op-ed.
    +1 Absolutely
    "What a difference a week makes. This week I feel like a football coach. Last week I felt like Britney Spears' choreographer."
    Coach Bob Green, Montana Tech

I couldn't believe it when I heard it. A thousand feet? So what if he happens wander within a thousand feet of me and I'm legally carrying a gun with permit? I'm going my way and he's going his. I have no idea he's going to be there, but they discover that I have a concealed weapon. Do I go to jail? What stupidity.
    "For everyone to whom much is given, of him shall much be required." -- Luke 12:48

Raven - Moneybird's Black Magic Marker***
    (Esprit's Power Play x Trumarc's Lean Cuisine)
    Mick - Moneybird's Jumpin' Jack Flash***
    (Clubmead's Road Warrior x Oakdale Whitewater Devil Dog)
    Peerless - Moneybird's Sole Survivor
    (Two River's Lucky Willie x Moneybird's Black Magic Marker)

Quote Originally Posted by Buzz View Post
    I couldn't believe it when I heard it. A thousand feet? So what if he happens wander within a thousand feet of me and I'm legally carrying a gun with permit? I'm going my way and he's going his. I have no idea he's going to be there, but they discover that I have a concealed weapon. Do I go to jail? What stupidity.
    so pheasant hunting with John Thune would be out of the picture

totally absurd piece of legislation
    All my Exes live in Texas

Quote Originally Posted by lanse brown View Post
    A few things that I learned still ring true. "Lanse when you get a gift, say thank you and walk away. When you get a screwing walk away. You are going to get a lot more screwings than gifts"

Quote Originally Posted by BonMallari View Post
    so pheasant hunting with John Thune would be out of the picture

totally absurd piece of legislation
    Reminds me of coming back from duck hunting in full camo. I pulled into my brother-in-law's driveway, got out, and there was Tom Daschle getting out of a car across the street. He was going to a fund raiser hosted by the neighbor. He looks at me and gets a big smile on his face & walks over to see the ducks I'd shot. I had my shotgun in a partially unzipped case in the back and he starts talking shotguns. I was shocked.
    "For everyone to whom much is given, of him shall much be required." -- Luke 12:48

Raven - Moneybird's Black Magic Marker***
    (Esprit's Power Play x Trumarc's Lean Cuisine)
    Mick - Moneybird's Jumpin' Jack Flash***
    (Clubmead's Road Warrior x Oakdale Whitewater Devil Dog)
    Peerless - Moneybird's Sole Survivor
    (Two River's Lucky Willie x Moneybird's Black Magic Marker)

Guns have two enemies...Rust and Politicians
    All my Exes live in Texas

Quote Originally Posted by lanse brown View Post
    A few things that I learned still ring true. "Lanse when you get a gift, say thank you and walk away. When you get a screwing walk away. You are going to get a lot more screwings than gifts"

Some of these KLOWNS are just trying to show their constituents how concerned thay are!!!

I, for one, am impressed!!!

RK
    Stan b & Elvis

Brian, I enjoy your posts but agree with dback & Hew, that is an exceptionally fine retort to the coming wave of anti gun legislation. It deserves a wider audience than POTUS--I hope you send it to your local paper.
    Julie R., Hope Springs Farm
    Chesapeake Bay Retrievers since 1981

Talking to our Police Chief last night on this subject - his comment was "the parents were so permissive that they enabled this action". Their "We are really sorry, we didn't know our son was like this" is a defensive move because someone will be coming after their assets, & I hope they do. The problem with having them on your insurance till their 26 also sets other precedents that are easy to exploit!!

Quote Originally Posted by Hew View Post

My only quibble would be the first sentence, "Dnf was asking in the Giffords shooting thread why the right was acting so defensive?" You shouldn't have had to write your post in response to Dnf's question, because it was already self-evident to all but the most obtuse and disingenuous that the finger of blame was being pointed at the right well before the facts became known. That dumbsh!t sheriff pinned it on conservative media and the Republicans in Congress within hours of the shootings. The lefties in cable were blaming it on the culture of hate created by conservatives. The blogosphere flying monkey left was blaming Palin. So there was already plenty of reason to be defensive; your excellent post not withstanding.

Edit...and btw, screw Peter King. As a society we can agree or disagree politically on the merits of gun control. But if you believe that gun control prevents crimes, like King apparently does, then having those laws only applicable to protect people like him is offensive. He's worth protecting and we're not?!?
    Agree with you on your entire post - several years back we had a "conservative" Senator who proposed & got passed a piece of legislation increasing the penalties for assaulting public employess in their line of duty, if I'm not mistaken that has been carried over to include anytime now . I asked him what made those people better than a private citizen? He never answered me .

Marvin S

Everyone's friend is No One's friend

Someday your life will flash before your eyes. It's your responsibility to make sure it's worth watching!