The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Gun Dog Broker
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: NY Rep. King to introduce gun safety bill

Quote Originally Posted by Marvin S View Post
    Talking to our Police Chief last night on this subject - his comment was "the parents were so permissive that they enabled this action". Their "We are really sorry, we didn't know our son was like this" is a defensive move because someone will be coming after their assets, & I hope they do. The problem with having them on your insurance till their 26 also sets other precedents that are easy to exploit!!
    Permissiveness equal mental illness? MMMMmmmmmmm you are truly blessed to have a Police chief with such depth of thought.

I do agree with you though that this legislation from Rep King is an overreaction and not really well thought out.

What a waste of legislation that would be. Obviously, Rep. King didn’t apply much logic to this. In case he hadn’t noticed, murder is already illegal. If someone is intent on committing murder, I doubt they are going to worry much about a law making it illegal to carry a gun within 1,000 feet of their intended victim. I hope they don’t waste too much time and money discussing this one!

Quote Originally Posted by Blackstone View Post
    In case he hadnít noticed, murder is already illegal.
    I gather you're not in favor of "hate crime" laws/sentencing, either?
    I'll take the river down to still water and ride a pack of dogs.

Quote Originally Posted by Hew View Post
    I gather you're not in favor of "hate crime" laws/sentencing, either?
    That's kind of comparing apples to oranges. Hate crime laws PUNISH the offender for committing a crime against someone because of their ethnicity, sexual orientation, etc. It may deter some people, but for the most part, if your actions are driven by hatred for some group, you're still going to commit the crime. You will just receive a more severe penalty if you get caught.

Rep. King's bill is meant to PREVENT someone from shooting a public official. It's not going to do that. If you're not worried about the penalty for committing murder, why would you worry about getting caught carrying a gun?

Heck, prisons are already full of guys caught illegally carrying a hand gun. Most of them weren't even on their way to shoot anyone. They just had a gun in case they got in a situation where they felt they had to shoot someone. If a law can't deter them from carrying a gun, do you believe this one is going to stop some nut on a mission to kill someone?

Quote Originally Posted by Blackstone View Post
    That's kind of comparing apples to oranges. Hate crime laws PUNISH the offender for committing a crime against someone because of their ethnicity, sexual orientation, etc. It may deter some people, but for the most part, if your actions are driven by hatred for some group, you're still going to commit the crime. You will just receive a more severe penalty if you get caught.

Rep. King's bill is meant to PREVENT someone from shooting a public official. It's not going to do that. If you're not worried about the penalty for committing murder, why would you worry about getting caught carrying a gun?

Heck, prisons are already full of guys caught illegally carrying a hand gun. Most of them weren't even on their way to shoot anyone. They just had a gun in case they got in a situation where they felt they had to shoot someone. If a law can't deter them from carrying a gun, do you believe this one is going to stop some nut on a mission to kill someone?
    Well put! Can't legislate morality....or the actions of a nut!

Quote Originally Posted by TxHillHunter View Post
    Well put! Can't legislate ... the actions of a nut!
    But you can (or at least attempt to) gradually restrict the places where citizens are "allowed" to protect themselves/others with a firearm.
    Biggest problem as I see it (besides in 1st post) is
    1. Politicians, being people, (?) are mobile.
    It's not like establishing a school or a courthouse as a "GFZ" because you always know where it will be. If you go to the market, carrying, coming back from a duck hunt etc. and suddenly realize your congressperson is having an event there, you now have to leave or you'd better hope that no one can see the gun(s) if you decide to ignore/break the law (bad idea) and go about your business.. If you're in the mall, the gym, etc and someone says "Hello Judge XYZ!", you would be required to stop what you're doing and get your firearm at least 1000' away from that person, at least until they're doing with their errand, etc. Depending on who would be selected to be on that list, this could make life very difficult and the easy out is to just leave the gun at home.
    Mission accomplished for advocates of gun control.

Also, what do you want to bet that, if passed, this bill wouldn't be like the Lautenberg domestic violence act that bans shipment, transport, ownership and use of all guns or ammunition by individuals convicted of this heinous crime?
    "It's not that government is inherently stupid, although that's a debatable question."
    Rand Paul CPAC speech 2011

I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it. Thomas Jefferson to Archibald Stuart, 1791

adding the health care bill to this is absolutely a dumb statement!
    This is what he was all about!:
    Vinny last hunting year
    53 pheasants in South Dakota 200 + ducks in Idaho
    Lasting memories Vinny was 13+ years old!

Quote Originally Posted by cotts135 View Post
    Permissiveness equal mental illness? MMMMmmmmmmm you are truly blessed to have a Police chief with such depth of thought.

I do agree with you though that this legislation from Rep King is an overreaction and not really well thought out.
    The way he phrased it did not indicate to me that it was his thought exclusively. I believe it to be the thought process of many LE officials.

Marvin S

Everyone's friend is No One's friend

Someday your life will flash before your eyes. It's your responsibility to make sure it's worth watching!