The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Herman Cain 4 POTUS

sounds a lot like Ross Perot to me. overly simplistic view of things. the U.S. is not a corporation run by the President.
    the problems, for the most part, are found within the legislative branch. the President is quite limited in his influence there. the president does not have the ability to hire/fire Senators and members of Congress. that's our job, and collectively, we stink at it.

too much partisanship on both sides of the aisle, and too little statesmanship. their number 1 priority is to be re-elected. it's fine to look out for your state's/district's interests, but the way out of this mess is to consider the needs of the entire nation first when voting to enact legislation. if they ever do, our lot will improve. if not.....-Paul
    there's no good reason to fatten up a retriever.

Quote Originally Posted by Marvin S View Post
    I don't come on here to pick arguments - the people I can learn something from generally share my point of view - the rest not so, nor do they articulate their point of view very well.
    Quote Originally Posted by mjh345 View Post
    Marv, how open minded of you to say that the only people you can learn from are people who share your point of view. I'd bet you win almost every argument you have with yourself, don't you?
    A little twist here, a little twist there & shortly U get what U want from someone else's words. As it is a free country U may believe whatever you desire .

Marvin S

Everyone's friend is No One's friend

Someday your life will flash before your eyes. It's your responsibility to make sure it's worth watching!

Paul, I agree with your observations completely. We assume way too much power on the part of the Executive Branch and overlook the power of the Legislative Branch--and we do a damned poor job of "hiring" our representatives and senators in the latter!

There is a lot more to running a country than there is to running a business. I'm not sure being a successful businessman qualifies you to run the country. I guess as we learn more about Mr. Cain, we will be better able to ascertain his qualifications.

Quote Originally Posted by Marvin S View Post
    When Blackstone came on this forum I liked his thoughtfulness. But then there was a thread where I felt he was quite narrow minded, so I thought it appropriate to ask if he knew this successful gentleman. As you can see by his post below that's not the case.
    We all have our biases and preferences, and issues we feel strongly about. I am no different. There are statements you have made that I feel were narrow minded as well, but you are entitled to your opinions. That's one of the things that makes us unique.

Quote Originally Posted by Blackstone View Post
    There is a lot more to running a country than there is to running a business. I'm not sure being a successful businessman qualifies you to run the country. I guess as we learn more about Mr. Cain, we will be better able to ascertain his qualifications.
    True... but MAYBE if we started looking at successful corporate types that actually answered to and were held accountable by board members then they might run the business of the country better than the career politicians that write checks that the country cant cash...
    All my Exes live in Texas

Quote Originally Posted by lanse brown View Post
    A few things that I learned still ring true. "Lanse when you get a gift, say thank you and walk away. When you get a screwing walk away. You are going to get a lot more screwings than gifts"

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by wayne anderson View Post
    Paul, I agree with your observations completely. We assume way too much power on the part of the Executive Branch and overlook the power of the Legislative Branch--and we do a damned poor job of "hiring" our representatives and senators in the latter!
    On the money. And we don't desire a "unitary executive" in America. As for the mockery we call elections, any idea's on how we can improve them?

Quote Originally Posted by newlab View Post
    On the money. And we don't desire a "unitary executive" in America. As for the mockery we call elections, any idea's on how we can improve them?
    Yup , quit hiring (electing) the same incumbents year after year...most of whom are lawyers..but the American public is lazy and wont really examine the records of their officials, way too easy to mark next to the slot incumbent
    All my Exes live in Texas

Quote Originally Posted by lanse brown View Post
    A few things that I learned still ring true. "Lanse when you get a gift, say thank you and walk away. When you get a screwing walk away. You are going to get a lot more screwings than gifts"

Quote Originally Posted by BonMallari View Post
    True... but MAYBE if we started looking at successful corporate types that actually answered to and were held accountable by board members then they might run the business of the country better than the career politicians that write checks that the country cant cash...
    Well, have you ever paid attention to the greed, corruption, graft, waste, and lack of ethics in corporate America? Isnít the country still trying to recover from some of their dealings? They are the ones currently lobbying elected officials. Often, the board is just in bed with corporate officers. They often donít act in the best interest of the shareholders or the company as a whole. I donít necessarily want them running the country.

Quote Originally Posted by paul young View Post
    sounds a lot like Ross Perot to me. overly simplistic view of things. the U.S. is not a corporation run by the President.
    the problems, for the most part, are found within the legislative branch. the President is quite limited in his influence there. the president does not have the ability to hire/fire Senators and members of Congress. that's our job, and collectively, we stink at it.

too much partisanship on both sides of the aisle, and too little statesmanship. their number 1 priority is to be re-elected. it's fine to look out for your state's/district's interests, but the way out of this mess is to consider the needs of the entire nation first when voting to enact legislation. if they ever do, our lot will improve. if not.....-Paul
    BINGO! Well said....collectively, the citizens of this country seem to be more concerned about the lives of Hollywood types and otherwise unknown "reality stars" than they do the workings of the behemoth state and federal governments that are blowing through dollars of this and future generations without any meaningful increase in the quality of life, while decreasing liberties, making the pursuit of happiness damn frustrating!