The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Gun Dog Broker
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: Herman Cain 4 POTUS

Quote Originally Posted by Roger Perry View Post
    Look at the alternative-------
    John McCain has said the economy is "not his strong suit."

Tim Russert: "Senator McCain, you have said repeatedly, 'I know a lot less about economics than I do about military and foreign policy issues. I still need to be educated.' Is it a problem for your campaign that the economy is now the most important issue, one that, by your own acknowledgement, you're not well versed on?"
    McCain: "Actually, I don't know where you got that quote from. I'm very well versed in economics."
    It seems that Romney and Russert are both right on this point, while McCain is contradicting his previous statements.
    McCain gave an interview to the Wall Street Journal in 2005 in which he said, "I'm going to be honest: I know a lot less about economics than I do about military and foreign policy issues. I still need to be educated."
    He told the Boston Globe in December 2007, ""The issue of economics is not something I've understood as well as I should."

The guy is so senile he doesn't remember what he said and when he said it.
    http://politifact.com/truth-o-meter/...ccain-said-it/
    While the last election was certainly a lesser of two evils contest, I remain unconvinced that any President in today's US has the ability to be the lynchpin for economic stability.....sad but true, we haven't seen the kind of leadership from a president that has demonstrated the ability to galvanize the country and congress toward anything in common. Both parties are a wreck in their own ways, and special interests - whether a giant corporation driven by profits, or community organizers driven by getting their unfair share of the government cheese - are the primary voices bending the ears of congress.

Quote Originally Posted by Blackstone View Post
    Well, I personally don't know any community organizers, so I can't comment on them as a whole. However, I have been around quite a few corp execs. If they were only concerned about corp profits and their bonuses, regardless of how it impacts employees or consumers, I didn't have a high opinion of them.

It is there job to maximize profits!
    Hihope Hiland Heathen of Perth CD, RE, CGC, TDI

Quote Originally Posted by luvmylabs23139 View Post
    EXACTLY! No one here will actually say that's what they don't like either....because most of us own the stocks (via mutual funds or pensions) of these "greedy corporate types."

Funny how some are fine taking the financial gains of these robber barons in the form of dividends and capital gains, but will bad mouth the "greed" of the C-levels from the same companies.

Hello pot, this is kettle.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by TxHillHunter View Post
    While the last election was certainly a lesser of two evils contest, I remain unconvinced that any President in today's US has the ability to be the lynchpin for economic stability.....sad but true, we haven't seen the kind of leadership from a president that has demonstrated the ability to galvanize the country and congress toward anything in common. Both parties are a wreck in their own ways, and special interests - whether a giant corporation driven by profits, or community organizers driven by getting their unfair share of the government cheese - are the primary voices bending the ears of congress.
    If you study great American Presidents, they come from all walks of life. Lawyers, Judges, Military, Academic. As far as Wall Street transfers to the White House, there really haven't been any. Many of our most revered Presidents not only did not come from Corporate America, they fought it tooth and nail.
    Andrew Jackson
    Teddy Roosevelt
    Franklin Roosevelt

After a quick look to find successful businessman who became President I came up with this list.
    Jimmy Carter - very successful farmer
    Herbert Hoover - very successful mining executive
    George Bush Jr - turned a nice profit with the Texas Rangers and a couple of Oil Companies

A look at the first half dozen Presidents of the US paint another picture. All very wealthy land owners of their day. But it all cases it wasn't their business acumen that made them great leaders. A common link seems to be Military Careers or acedemics more than anything.
    There doesn't seem to be a blueprint for an appropriate preparation for Greatness in the White House.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by luvmylabs23139 View Post
    Again, you claim to have gotten "A's" in English. There is a difference between there and their.

Quote Originally Posted by BonMallari View Post
    and Bill Clinton isnt wealthier today then when he was in office ....I am not saying their salaries are fair or just..but just like the high priced salaries we pay athletes, the CEO's negotiated their compensation packages and the companies agreed to pay that amount along with any separation bonuses...whose fault is that, certainly not the employee...blame the board that agreed to pay them the outrageous salary and bonus package
    Let me make it clear, I believe in getting paid as much as you can. Iím not mad at any CEO for what they get paid. However, I do not believe they should increase their salaries and ensure their bonuses at the expense of the employees. That happens a lot. My point was, once you have guaranteed yourself that kind of money, you really donít have much to lose no matter what happens. Also, if you read my earlier posts, you would see where I said the boards, in many cases, are complicit.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by TxHillHunter View Post
    So you will be calling your broker, 401k and/or pension manager tomorrow and selling all your financial service stock or mutual funds that own these?
    ??? Honest answer. No. Neither am I leaving the Country because of my disatisfaction for the Federal Government.

Quote Originally Posted by Roger Perry View Post
    Again, you claim to have gotten "A's" in English. There is a difference between there and their.
    So I didn't bother to proofread. I watching football at the same time.
    Go JETS!
    Oh,I love when a liberal has no answer they just go looking for grammer and spelling errors.
    Last edited by luvmylabs23139; 01-16-2011 at 05:52 PM.
    Hihope Hiland Heathen of Perth CD, RE, CGC, TDI

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by newlab View Post
    If you study great American Presidents, they come from all walks of life. Lawyers, Judges, Military, Academic. As far as Wall Street transfers to the White House, there really haven't been any. Many of our most revered Presidents not only did not come from Corporate America, they fought it tooth and nail.
    Andrew Jackson
    Teddy Roosevelt
    Franklin Roosevelt

After a quick look to find successful businessman who became President I came up with this list.
    George Bush Jr - turned a nice profit with the Texas Rangers and a couple of Oil Companies

A look at the first half dozen Presidents of the US paint another picture. All very wealthy land owners of their day. But it all cases it wasn't their business acumen that made them great leaders. A common link seems to be Military Careers or acedemics more than anything.
    There doesn't seem to be a blueprint for an appropriate preparation for Greatness in the White House.
    • Arbusto, an oil exploration company, lost money, but it got considerable investments (nearly $5 million) because even losing oil investments were useful as tax shelters.
    • Spectrum 7 Energy Corp. bought out Arbusto in 1984 and hired Mr. Bush to run the company's oil interests in Midland, Texas. The oil business collapsed as oil prices plummeted by 1986, and Spectrum 7 Energy was near failure.
    • Harken Energy acquired Mr. Bush's Spectrum 7 Energy shares, and he got Harken shares, a directorship, and a consulting arrangement in return. Harken, under Bush, brought in Saudi real estate tycoon Sheikh Abdullah Bakhsh as a board member and a major investor. Over the next few years, Harken would turn out to have links to: Saudi money, CIA-connected Filipinos, the Harvard Endowment, the emir of Bahrain, and the shadowy Bank of Credit and Commerce International.
      • A 1991 internal SEC document suggested George W. Bush violated federal securities law at least 4 times in the late 1980s and early 1990s in selling Harken stock while serving as a director of Harken. This is essentially the same kind of activity that Martha Stewart is going to prison over. Except at the time of the investigation, Mr. Bush's father was president and the case was quietly dropped.
      • http://alaric3rh.home.sprynet.com/science/bceo.html
    Yeah, right successful in the oil business As far as the Texas Rangers ***

Famous Texas baseball team the Texas Rangers just filed for bankruptcy. This dumb sports franchise in Texas owes “between $100 and $500 million” to its creditors. What does this mean, and how is it George W. Bush’s fault? Bush Junior “bought” the Rangers in 1989 by ponying up only $600,000 while his daddy’s oil buddies cronyed up the real money — and when the team was sold a decade later, Dubya walked away with $15 million.
    http://wonkette.com/415594/george-w-...bankruptcy-too
    Last edited by Roger Perry; 01-16-2011 at 06:03 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by newlab View Post
    Andrew Jackson
    Teddy Roosevelt
    Franklin Roosevelt

Please don't make the mistake of thinking I believe a C-level exec is what this country needs or ever has needed as President. I have been adressing those making sweeping generalizations about the "evils" (my word) of corporate america.

BUT, I'm not sure I would agree that TR and FDR (AJ really predates the Industrial Revolution) fought corporate america "tooth and nail." I just finished reading the Wilderness Warrior, and while Teddy (one of my heroes) took issue with corporate exploitation of natural resources....his passion did not come from any disgust with profits...rather it was rooted his own love of wild creatures, particularly birds. BOTH Roosevelts also had the distinct advantage of being born into a very wealthy family.....they could AFFORD to pretty much pick whatever fight they wanted.

We all need to remember that WE, as consumers, are the ones that drive profits based on our demand of goods and services. How many here that are railing against the "corporate greed" of the banks have pulled all their cash out or divested themselves completely of these companies? My guess is none, but just a guess. If my guess is correct, then the guilty are hypocrites.