The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast
Results 31 to 40 of 47

Thread: Gas Prices

  1. #31
    Senior Member zeus3925's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    West Twin Cities Metro, MN
    Posts
    2,051

    Default

    Ruin engines, Franco? I have run 10% ethanol in my vehicles, not by choice but by state mandate. We get 200,000 miles + out of the engines. Usually it is something else that goes haywire that gets the vehicle donated to charity. My brother has a '91 Ford Ranger 4 banger that just turned over 300,00 miles. The iron moths are eating it though.
    Zeus

    I don't want to feed an ugly dog!

  2. #32
    Senior Member Franco's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    Lafayette, La.
    Posts
    10,502

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by zeus3925 View Post
    Ruin engines, Franco? I have run 10% ethanol in my vehicles, not by choice but by state mandate. We get 200,000 miles + out of the engines. Usually it is something else that goes haywire that gets the vehicle donated to charity. My brother has a '91 Ford Ranger 4 banger that just turned over 300,00 miles. The iron moths are eating it though.
    Here are just some of the facts on Ethanol.
    http://www.calgasoline.com/facttopten.htm

    I could find more but, I'll let you do that research.

    One of the biggest problems which you can read about if you google "Ethanol free gasoline" is that Ethanol burns hotter than pure gas causing pre-ignition. I'm not a mechanic but you may want to research it. Or, ask anyone that runs an outboard motor about the effects.

    Then, there is the waste of our tax dollars in financing an industry that is not needed by the tax payer!

    BTW, Congress is now pushing for 15% Ethanol!
    Last edited by Franco; 01-14-2011 at 10:00 AM.
    “The end of democracy and the defeat of the American Revolution will occur when government falls into the hands of lending institutions and moneyed incorporations.” –Thomas Jefferson

  3. #33
    Senior Member Nor_Cal_Angler's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Pittsburg, Ca
    Posts
    659

    Default

    [QUOTE=Franco;732761]Like I said, I don't see any difference between Congress(out of control big government) forcing drivers to burn 10% to 15% ethanol any different than Hugo Chavez being a commie. It is the same Big Brother mentallity.

    Here we are subsidizing the ethanol industry which is nothing more than a pork/earmark project costing tax payers billions. No one looks at ethanol as a solution. But, to the uneducated, it looks like a good program and that Congress is trying to do something, anything. Just more big government waste![/QUOTE]

    I agree, it was a rush to implement Ethonal and not look at the ramifications of using it.


    Quote Originally Posted by Franco View Post
    We have 6 Citgo stations in our metro. Only 1 sells pure gas and it is near my home. The owner of the station has lived here all his life and is a Cajun. Because he is the only one in our metro that sells pure gas, his buisness has really taken off as people come from near and far to fill thier tanks.

    If I had an alternative place to buy pure gas other tahn a Citgo, I would. But, right now this Citgo has the better product and I like buying my gas that doesn't come from the middle east. Most of the gas mentioned on this thread buy thier gas from the Sauidis and refined here. So, pick your own devil!
    I agree that most of the oil that comes to the "rest" of the bigger petro producing Co.'s is Saudi....and if Citgo is the only one near ya, then use it.
    I would rather walk....

    NCA

  4. #34
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    3,064

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by zeus3925 View Post
    Ruin engines, Franco? I have run 10% ethanol in my vehicles, not by choice but by state mandate. We get 200,000 miles + out of the engines. Usually it is something else that goes haywire that gets the vehicle donated to charity. My brother has a '91 Ford Ranger 4 banger that just turned over 300,00 miles. The iron moths are eating it though.
    I too run 10% ethanol, by state mandate. and I hate the state mandate!!
    When I'm in Oklahoma I can get real gas. I get 20mpg from my truck using real gas and 18 mpg using 10% ethanol.
    Do the math, 10 gallons of gas takes me 200 miles; 11 gallons of 10% ethanol mix[which includes 10 gallons of gas] takes me 198 miles. So using the same amount of [domestic or imported] oil I went 2 miles less. I also used a gallon of ethanol which took a bunch of corn, oil etc to produce.

    Would some of the "environmentalists" explain to me how this helps the environment or helps reduce our dependence on foreign oil?

    Additionally my truck doesn't have as much power, as there are some hills that I have to downshift to pass over with the ethanol gas that I fly over with 100% gas.

    As Franco says the only thing ethanol helps is the corn lobby. I rent out some of my land to a farmer and share in the wealth when corn is selling at a premium, but I would far prefer to have freedom of choice in what I purchase at the pump and elsewhere.
    The free enterprise system works best when it is free. Let the market decide and the decisions will be far better that what legislation will ever decide

  5. #35
    Senior Member Franco's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    Lafayette, La.
    Posts
    10,502

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by mjh345 View Post
    I too run 10% ethanol, by state mandate. and I hate the state mandate!!
    When I'm in Oklahoma I can get real gas. I get 20mpg from my truck using real gas and 18 mpg using 10% ethanol.
    Do the math, 10 gallons of gas takes me 200 miles; 11 gallons of 10% ethanol mix[which includes 10 gallons of gas] takes me 198 miles. So using the same amount of [domestic or imported] oil I went 2 miles less. I also used a gallon of ethanol which took a bunch of corn, oil etc to produce.

    Would some of the "environmentalists" explain to me how this helps the environment or helps reduce our dependence on foreign oil?

    Additionally my truck doesn't have as much power, as there are some hills that I have to downshift to pass over with the ethanol gas that I fly over with 100% gas.

    As Franco says the only thing ethanol helps is the corn lobby. I rent out some of my land to a farmer and share in the wealth when corn is selling at a premium, but I would far prefer to have freedom of choice in what I purchase at the pump and elsewhere.
    The free enterprise system works best when it is free. Let the market decide and the decisions will be far better that what legislation will ever decide
    Yup! It takes 1.4 gallon to produce 1 gallon of ethanol. Likewise, it takes .14 gallon to produce 1 gallon of pure gasoline.
    “The end of democracy and the defeat of the American Revolution will occur when government falls into the hands of lending institutions and moneyed incorporations.” –Thomas Jefferson

  6. #36
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    3,064

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Franco View Post
    Yup! It takes 1.4 gallon to produce 1 gallon of ethanol. Likewise, it takes .14 gallon to produce 1 gallon of pure gasoline.
    Franco, I'd love to see a link to this

  7. #37
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Eastern NC
    Posts
    2,755

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Franco View Post
    Or, ask anyone that runs an outboard motor about the effects.

    Here's your effects. How far do you think I made it towards my fishing hole the day this was in my tank?

    Oh, and the 'gas' was only 2 weeks old.




    The only bright side to this is that before I got a chance to drain my gas tank, someone stole it out of my yard. Hope they enjoyed it.

  8. #38
    Senior Member BonMallari's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    LV/CenTex/Idaho
    Posts
    12,427

    Default

    Ducknwork, I thought you might be making that NC "shine"...the stuff that made NASCAR
    All my Exes live in Texas

    Quote Originally Posted by lanse brown View Post
    A few things that I learned still ring true. "Lanse when you get a gift, say thank you and walk away. When you get a screwing walk away. You are going to get a lot more screwings than gifts"

  9. #39
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Eastern NC
    Posts
    2,755

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BonMallari View Post
    Duckwork, I thought you might be making that NC "shine"...the stuff that made NASCAR
    I ain't sayin' nuthin!!



    But I wouldn't try that jar...bad batch.

  10. #40
    Senior Member Franco's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    Lafayette, La.
    Posts
    10,502

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by mjh345 View Post

    Franco, I'd love to see a link to this
    Here ya go;

    http://www.calgasoline.com/facttopten.htm
    “The end of democracy and the defeat of the American Revolution will occur when government falls into the hands of lending institutions and moneyed incorporations.” –Thomas Jefferson

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •