The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Gas Prices

Stan b & Elvis

Quote Originally Posted by Franco View Post
    Yup! It takes 1.4 gallon to produce 1 gallon of ethanol. Likewise, it takes .14 gallon to produce 1 gallon of pure gasoline.
    While I my experience with the stuff has not messed up my engines, I think the damn stuff is down outright immoral. About a third of US corn production is now going int fuel. This morning's MSNBC.com carried a story about rapidly rising food prices as the global food supply is extraordinarily tight right now due to poor harvest in Canada, extreme heat in Argentina and floods in Australia.

Other crops have potentially better yield of ethanol than corn. However, politicians in the Corn Belt are not anxious to hear that.
    Zeus

I don't want to feed an ugly dog!

Corn ethanol is definately not the long-term answer.

To those who claim that Obama's ban on drilling is the cause of high gas/oil prices due to sagging supply.....I ask....shouldn't the corresponding decrease in demand due to ethanol stabilize the supply/demand ratio? From what I gather, the amounts are roughly equal.

This may actually have more to do with securing viable corn prices, rather than seeking a solution to alternative fuel sources. We outproduce the need for corn at a staggering rate. As prices drop, farmers grow more corn to make up for the loss, exacerbating the problem. Maybe finding a new demand for corn is the gov't's way of reducing its subsidy bills?? Just a thought...
    God Bless PFC Jamie Harkness. The US Army's newest PFC, but still our neighbor's little girl!

the country runs on gas/diesel...we are dependent on our vehicles, so the demand is at an all time high...Corn/ethanol is a blip on the grand scale of things

the combustion engine drives this country, you know it, I know it, and the people who control petroleum know it.....

they may say they want ANWAR opened up but behind the boardroom door is that REALLY what they want...imagine or fantasize for one second that the supply were to be higher than the demand, what would the price of gasoline be...
    All my Exes live in Texas

Quote Originally Posted by lanse brown View Post
    A few things that I learned still ring true. "Lanse when you get a gift, say thank you and walk away. When you get a screwing walk away. You are going to get a lot more screwings than gifts"

Quote Originally Posted by BonMallari View Post
    the country runs on gas/diesel...we are dependent on our vehicles, so the demand is at an all time high...Corn/ethanol is a blip on the grand scale of things

the combustion engine drives this country, you know it, I know it, and the people who control petroleum know it.....

they may say they want ANWAR opened up but behind the boardroom door is that REALLY what they want...imagine or fantasize for one second that the supply were to be higher than the demand, what would the price of gasoline be...

Since "middle of the road independents" (left wing progressives) hate capitalism and all it stands for, they have no grasp of "supply and demand."

It's funny.......

RK
    Stan b & Elvis

Quote Originally Posted by BonMallari View Post

That will NEVER happen.
    Its been shown time and time again that if an energy source becomes abundant or cheap, we only increase our demand to balance the curve.
    A Brit economist (William Jevons) proposed that theory in the late 19th century in regards to coal, and it has shown to be accurate throughout history, over and over.
    Last edited by dnf777; 01-14-2011 at 12:38 PM.
    God Bless PFC Jamie Harkness. The US Army's newest PFC, but still our neighbor's little girl!

Quote Originally Posted by Franco View Post
    Congress has zero control over the price of gas at the pump. They can pass legislation all day long but that doesn't mean the suppliers have to sell it to us for more than what they can get for it on the world market.

That is what is so frustrating for Obama, he realized that the oil producing companies are bigger and more influential than he is when it comes to energy.
    I didn't say they would do something effective! Do they ever? My point was that they will use high gas prices to pass some sort of legislation that will screw us in the end. (no pun intended) Then, as a result of something completely unrelated to the new law, gas prices will begin to fall, but all the politicians will claim credit for it. O will be sitting pretty by Nov 2012.