The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Who is this hero?

Default Who is this hero?

I x'd out the name, but can anyone guess who this is? He's not really known for his true heroism, as described below:

Born in Mission, Texas to Ray (an auto mechanic and volunteer fireman) and Ruth XXXXXX, YYYYY was the second of four children (Robert, XXXX, Ruthie and Jack).[1] After playing quarterback (primary passer and runner, and also punter) for Mission High School (including leading his team to a 12-0 record his senior season),[1] he attended the University of Texas in Austin as an industrial engineering major.
    He interrupted his education after a semester to serve in the United States Army Air Corps during World War II. XXXXX earned his wings and a commission as a Second Lieutenant at Lubbock Army Air Field, and was assigned to the 493d Bombardment Group at RAF Debach, England, as a B-17 Flying Fortress bomber co-pilot in the 860th Bombardment Squadron. From November 1944 to April 1945, he completed a combat tour of 30 missions, and survived a crash landing in Belgium after his bomber ran out of fuel.
    Following the war, he returned to the university and played fullback and defensive back on the Texas Longhorns' bowl game winners on New Year's Day of 1948 and 1949. At UT, he was a member of the Delta Kappa Epsilon fraternity (Omega Chi chapter). He received his bachelor's degree from UT in 1949. XXXXXX also earned a bachelor of science degree in industrial engineering from the University of Houston in 1952.
    God Bless PFC Jamie Harkness. The US Army's newest PFC, but still our neighbor's little girl!

way too easy: none other than the great coach Tom Landry
    All my Exes live in Texas

Quote Originally Posted by lanse brown View Post
    A few things that I learned still ring true. "Lanse when you get a gift, say thank you and walk away. When you get a screwing walk away. You are going to get a lot more screwings than gifts"

Quote Originally Posted by dnf777 View Post
    I x'd out the name, but can anyone guess who this is? He's not really known for his true heroism, as described below:

Born in Mission, Texas to Ray (an auto mechanic and volunteer fireman) and Ruth XXXXXX, YYYYY was the second of four children (Robert, XXXX, Ruthie and Jack).[1] After playing quarterback (primary passer and runner, and also punter) for Mission High School (including leading his team to a 12-0 record his senior season),[1] he attended the University of Texas in Austin as an industrial engineering major.
    He interrupted his education after a semester to serve in the United States Army Air Corps during World War II. XXXXX earned his wings and a commission as a Second Lieutenant at Lubbock Army Air Field, and was assigned to the 493d Bombardment Group at RAF Debach, England, as a B-17 Flying Fortress bomber co-pilot in the 860th Bombardment Squadron. From November 1944 to April 1945, he completed a combat tour of 30 missions, and survived a crash landing in Belgium after his bomber ran out of fuel.
    Following the war, he returned to the university and played fullback and defensive back on the Texas Longhorns' bowl game winners on New Year's Day of 1948 and 1949. At UT, he was a member of the Delta Kappa Epsilon fraternity (Omega Chi chapter). He received his bachelor's degree from UT in 1949. XXXXXX also earned a bachelor of science degree in industrial engineering from the University of Houston in 1952.
    The Coach that LOST the Ice Bowl to the Green Bay Packers??????

RK
    Stan b & Elvis

I have great respect for that man. He was asked in an interview what his greatest accomplishment was...which superbowl?-- He paused for a second, and said his greatest accomplishment was playing a small role in helping to defeat the Nazis. The other announcer then mentioned that, oh, he flew B-17s over Germany....

I had no idea.
    God Bless PFC Jamie Harkness. The US Army's newest PFC, but still our neighbor's little girl!

Quote Originally Posted by road kill View Post

RK
    I would like to think that Bart Starr called a great game...and I could have run behind the gap that Jerry Kramer and Fuzzy Thurston caved in the Big D....bitter ..not me, well maybe a little
    All my Exes live in Texas

Quote Originally Posted by lanse brown View Post
    A few things that I learned still ring true. "Lanse when you get a gift, say thank you and walk away. When you get a screwing walk away. You are going to get a lot more screwings than gifts"

RK
    We was robbed!!
    M&K's HR UH Tucker of Texoma JH
    M&K's SHR Prime Black Angus
    M&K's Miss Jessie Girl JH
    Sir Jacob of Lakeview-Jake
    Freeway JYD

Mike Whitworth

Quote Originally Posted by M&K's Retrievers View Post
    We was robbed!!
    I am the only person in WI that was not at that game.
    But I did watch it.

Can't even imagine being out there in thatr cold.

Tom Landry & Bart Starr--2 of the classiest people to ever be involved in the NFL!!

RK
    Stan b & Elvis

I am the only person in WI that was not at that game.
    But I did watch it.

Can't even imagine being out there in thatr cold.

Tom Landry & Bart Starr--2 of the classiest people to ever be involved in the NFL!!

RK
    I'm way too young to remember that old timey stuff .....but was Roger Staubach on the team then? If so, make that THREE of the classiest people in the NFL.

Quote Originally Posted by dnf777 View Post
    I'm way too young to remember that old timey stuff .....but was Roger Staubach on the team then? If so, make that THREE of the classiest people in the NFL.
    Yes you are. That would be Don Meredith. Four of the classiest.
    M&K's HR UH Tucker of Texoma JH
    M&K's SHR Prime Black Angus
    M&K's Miss Jessie Girl JH
    Sir Jacob of Lakeview-Jake
    Freeway JYD

Mike Whitworth

Quote Originally Posted by M&K's Retrievers View Post
    Yes you are. That would be Don Meredith. Four of the classiest.
    And Ray Nitschke!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zO7wm4918bY&feature=fvw

RK
    Last edited by road kill; 01-14-2011 at 07:14 PM.
    Stan b & Elvis