The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Gun Dog Broker
Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Maine Gov tells NAACP "kiss my butt"

Quote Originally Posted by luvmylabs23139 View Post
    So what if it were the KKK?
    Aren't they also his constuants if they live in his state?
    Yes I picked them for a reason. I think the NAACP is just as racist as they are.

he is Gov. of Maine.
    home of the 20th Maine Volunteers.
    That group, who's name I will not even type.
    That you make referance to so often.
    is evil and filled with so much hate.
    you insult all of New England saying they would even be allowed up here by the locals.

"So what is big is not always the Trout nor the Deer but the chance, the being there. And what is full is not necessarily the creel nor the freezer, but the memory." ~ Aldo Leopold

"The Greatest Obstacle to Discovery is not Ignorance -- It is the Illusion of Knowledge" ~ Daniel Boorstin

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Bora View Post
    he is Gov. of Maine.
    home of the 20th Maine Volunteers.

Commanded by Joshua Lawrence Chamberlain, one of the most underrated, yet greatest American Military Heroes!

Every time we're at Gettysburg, we make a somemn trek up the side of Little Round Top to the 20th Maine monument to pay respects.

Fix Bayonets! regards....
    God Bless PFC Jamie Harkness. The US Army's newest PFC, but still our neighbor's little girl!

Banned

Personally I would love to has him as my Governor. I'm tired of everyone kissing the NAACP's butts. They are, as he says, nothing more than any other special intrest group.

WATERVILLE, Maine — Maine Gov. Paul LePage has changed his plans and attended a Martin Luther King Jr. Day breakfast just days after saying critics of his decision to skip other holiday weekend events could "kiss my butt."
    LePage attended the breakfast in Waterville on Monday, just as he had done for several years as the city's mayor before being elected governor.
    His appearance was scheduled after he responded Friday to critics of his decision not to attend the state NAACP's annual holiday celebrations. LePage cited scheduling conflicts, but his "kiss my butt" comment drew harsh criticism from state and national leaders of the National Association for the Advancement of Colored People.
    LePage didn't speak publicly at Monday's event, but in an interview spoke of the importance of King's contributions.

Linguini spine. Talked a good game, but was afraid to stand behind his words.
    Bill Davis

Quote Originally Posted by Roger Perry View Post
    WATERVILLE, Maine — Maine Gov. Paul LePage has changed his plans and attended a Martin Luther King Jr. Day breakfast just days after saying critics of his decision to skip other holiday weekend events could "kiss my butt."
    LePage attended the breakfast in Waterville on Monday, just as he had done for several years as the city's mayor before being elected governor.
    His appearance was scheduled after he responded Friday to critics of his decision not to attend the state NAACP's annual holiday celebrations. LePage cited scheduling conflicts, but his "kiss my butt" comment drew harsh criticism from state and national leaders of the National Association for the Advancement of Colored People.
    LePage didn't speak publicly at Monday's event, but in an interview spoke of the importance of King's contributions.
    In other words just like everyone else he caved in to that special interest.
    Hihope Hiland Heathen of Perth CD, RE, CGC, TDI

Quote Originally Posted by Roger Perry View Post
    Roger,

Link please...

and to the rest of you that are saying he caved..spineless...

NO WHERE DO I read in Rogers snipit...anything about him attending a NAACP event...

it says he went to an event he has attended for years as mayor...it says it is on MLK day...but says NOTHING about it being an event sponsored, run, held at anything regarding the NAACP.

Roger if you would please....

It was a nice try and you did get a few people worked up..but I dont see anywhere where it refrences a NAACP Breakfeast.

NCA

PS...and in his initial statement.."kiss my butt" statement I do not recall him dismissing all events on MLK...only the invitation from the NAACP to attend their event.

To me...he has kept his word...stood by it...and told the "special intrestet" group to "kiss my butt" again Good for him!!!
    Last edited by Nor_Cal_Angler; 01-17-2011 at 01:20 PM. Reason: no, retraction, just added the very last sentence.

Quote Originally Posted by Nor_Cal_Angler View Post
    Roger,

Link please...

and to the rest of you that are saying he caved..spineless...

NO WHERE DO I read in Rogers snipit...anything about him attending a NAACP event...

it says he went to an event he has attended for years as mayor...it says it is on MLK day...but says NOTHING about it being an event sponsored, run, held at anything regarding the NAACP.

Roger if you would please....

It was a nice try and you did get a few people worked up..but I dont see anywhere where it refrences a NAACP Breakfeast.

NCA

PS...and in his initial statement.."kiss my butt" statement I do not recall him dismissing all events on MLK...only the invitation from the NAACP to attend their event.

To me...he has kept his word...stood by it...and told the "special intrestet" group to "kiss my butt" again Good for him!!!
    It's from MSNBC.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/41119888/ns/us_news/

It is ambiguous to say the least.

RK
    Stan b & Elvis

This one makes it much clearer that he did cave.

Maine Gov. LePage Attends MLK Event After NAACP Criticism

Published January 17, 2011
    | Associated Press
    WATERVILLE, [COLOR=blue !important][COLOR=blue !important]Maine[/color][/color] -- Gov. Paul LePage changed his Martin Luther King Jr. holiday weekend plans and showed up at a breakfast honoring the slain civil rights leader Monday, days after he said critics of his decision to skip other events could "kiss my butt." He even joined some of the participants in an African [COLOR=blue !important][COLOR=blue !important]dance[/color][/color].
    The Republican governor's appearance was organized in the days after he made the remark Friday, responding to a reporter's question about criticism he had received over his decision not to attend the state NAACP's annual King Day celebrations. He said at the time that he didn't attend events for special interests, and his spokesman cited scheduling conflicts.
    "Tell them to kiss my butt," LePage said.
    The comment drew harsh criticism from state and national leaders of the National Association for the Advancement of Colored People. Maine NAACP Director Rachel Talbot Ross said her organization is no special interest, and the group's national president and CEO Benjamin Todd Jealous said LePage's comments "inflame racial tension."
    While Monday's appearance was hastily added to his schedule, LePage had previously attended several [COLOR=blue !important][COLOR=blue !important]Martin [COLOR=blue !important]Luther[/color][/color][/color] King breakfasts in Waterville while serving as mayor before he was elected governor, a spokesman said. Monday's event was sponsored by the local Rotary club and a senior citizens' group.

YOU MIGHT ALSO BE INTERESTED IN Two Documents Every Baby Boomer Needs to Have for Death Planning A Nice, Wholesome Hooters Girl for the Kids Wisconsin Woman Finds Drugs Worth $280G in Vacuum Michael Reagan Slams Brother for Implying Their Father Had Alzheimer's as President The Black Swan Events of 2011?

LePage, who was elected in November with tea party support, didn't speak publicly at Monday's breakfast, but he chatted with some of the roughly 150 participants, most of whom were white.
    In an interview, he declined to discuss his earlier comments, but acknowledged that the holiday "represents an awful lot, particularly to black America. I mean, Martin Luther King was a peaceful activist and unfortunately he gave his life for it."
    In a statement issued later by his [COLOR=blue !important][COLOR=blue !important]office[/color][/color], he said, "Dr. King is someone who spent and ultimately gave his life making sure that people got a fair shake regardless of race. We have come far through the years, but the journey continues to make Dr. King's dreams a reality. I urge all Mainers to work as one for a better life for all."
    Rep. Effie McClain, pastor of the Oakland-Sidney United Methodist Church, said before her keynote speech that it was time to move beyond LePage's earlier remarks.
    "I think that often times we say things that just come out wrong and if we had all the [COLOR=blue !important][COLOR=blue !important]money[/color][/color] in the world we couldn't take it back," said McClain, who is black. "Don't beat the man continually for something that's been said."
    Others attending Monday's event weren't so forgiving.
    LePage's attendance was "a political act that has nothing to do with his convictions," said Julie de Sherbinin, a language professor at Colby College in Waterville. De Sherbinin, who is white, is involved in a campus organization that promotes improved race relations.
    LePage stayed for the entire 90-minute event, including an African drum act by a Colby ensemble. The smiling governor clapped his hands and briefly joined others who danced to the pounding rhythm.
    Hihope Hiland Heathen of Perth CD, RE, CGC, TDI

Quote Originally Posted by road kill View Post
    It's from MSNBC.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/41119888/ns/us_news/

It is ambiguous to say the least.

RK
    I agree....

This one makes it much clearer that he did cave.

Maine Gov. LePage Attends MLK Event After NAACP Criticism

Published January 17, 2011
    | Associated Press
    WATERVILLE, [COLOR=blue !important][COLOR=blue !important]Maine[/color][/color] -- Gov. Paul LePage changed his Martin Luther King Jr. holiday weekend plans and showed up at a breakfast honoring the slain civil rights leader Monday, days after he said critics of his decision to skip other events could "kiss my butt." He even joined some of the participants in an African [COLOR=blue !important][COLOR=blue !important]dance[/color][/color].
    The Republican governor's appearance was organized in the days after he made the remark Friday, responding to a reporter's question about criticism he had received over his decision not to attend the state NAACP's annual King Day celebrations. He said at the time that he didn't attend events for special interests, and his spokesman cited scheduling conflicts.
    "Tell them to kiss my butt," LePage said.
    The comment drew harsh criticism from state and national leaders of the National Association for the Advancement of Colored People. Maine NAACP Director Rachel Talbot Ross said her organization is no special interest, and the group's national president and CEO Benjamin Todd Jealous said LePage's comments "inflame racial tension."
    While Monday's appearance was hastily added to his schedule, LePage had previously attended several [COLOR=blue !important][COLOR=blue !important]Martin [COLOR=blue !important]Luther[/color][/color][/color] King breakfasts in Waterville while serving as mayor before he was elected governor, a spokesman said. Monday's event was sponsored by the local Rotary club and a senior citizens' group.

YOU MIGHT ALSO BE INTERESTED IN Two Documents Every Baby Boomer Needs to Have for Death Planning A Nice, Wholesome Hooters Girl for the Kids Wisconsin Woman Finds Drugs Worth $280G in Vacuum Michael Reagan Slams Brother for Implying Their Father Had Alzheimer's as President The Black Swan Events of 2011?

LePage, who was elected in November with tea party support, didn't speak publicly at Monday's breakfast, but he chatted with some of the roughly 150 participants, most of whom were white.
    In an interview, he declined to discuss his earlier comments, but acknowledged that the holiday "represents an awful lot, particularly to black America. I mean, Martin Luther King was a peaceful activist and unfortunately he gave his life for it."
    In a statement issued later by his [COLOR=blue !important][COLOR=blue !important]office[/color][/color], he said, "Dr. King is someone who spent and ultimately gave his life making sure that people got a fair shake regardless of race. We have come far through the years, but the journey continues to make Dr. King's dreams a reality. I urge all Mainers to work as one for a better life for all."
    Rep. Effie McClain, pastor of the Oakland-Sidney United Methodist Church, said before her keynote speech that it was time to move beyond LePage's earlier remarks.
    "I think that often times we say things that just come out wrong and if we had all the [COLOR=blue !important][COLOR=blue !important]money[/color][/color] in the world we couldn't take it back," said McClain, who is black. "Don't beat the man continually for something that's been said."
    Others attending Monday's event weren't so forgiving.
    LePage's attendance was "a political act that has nothing to do with his convictions," said Julie de Sherbinin, a language professor at Colby College in Waterville. De Sherbinin, who is white, is involved in a campus organization that promotes improved race relations.
    LePage stayed for the entire 90-minute event, including an African drum act by a Colby ensemble. The smiling governor clapped his hands and briefly joined others who danced to the pounding rhythm.
    Again, it says it is not sponsored or affiliated with the NAACP...

It again says that it was something he as done many times in the past while he was mayor.

We wont ever know his reasons...maybe he said it because he had plans and the NAACP didnt like those plans over their agenda for him, maybe it was because like cited in the origional piece, the NAACP asked him to come to Maine's state prison and visit with Black Inmates, and he replied if I go I will visit with All Inmates...maybe just maybe it was tounge and cheek...and the MSM ran with it...I watched the video...and he was laughing while he said it. He cetrainly didnt appear to be very serious, him and a few people around all were laughing...followed up by the comment..seriously, if they want to play the race card, have them come over to my home and ask my black son about it.

I dont think he ment any thing racial about it...he was saying which no matter how you dice it...would have come off as inapproiate...

NO, I am NOT COMMING TO THE EVENT...SO STOP ASKING ABOUT IT.

and when pressed about "dont you think this will appear racial, and insensitive" he replied as I would imagine anyone who has a black, white, asian, mexican etc child..

OHHH KISS MY ASS with that one...

NCA

It doesn’t appear LePage caved on attending either of the NAACP events, but he has definitely toned down his rhetoric. Although if he sees the NAACP as merely a special interest group, I’m not sure he should be there anyway.