The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Note to Ducknwork

Default Note to Ducknwork

Don't want to lose this in a unrelated thread so will start our own .

This is a thread about investing philosophy. 1st a little background - as I reached the end of my engineering career I looked at things I might like to do to keep the mind active. Politics was out after my unsuccessful run at the State Legislature & a good view of the inner workings of that process. But liking numbers & having a reasonable level of success, a good econ prof in college, led me to financial planning. So I took several courses, did quite well, but was unwilling to accept the fact that I would have to work for someone else for two years, pimping their product, to be in line to get a CFP. So I opted out, do mostly my own research & use that of the Mutual Funds we own for additional ideas.

Of note, the FP classes I took were mostly myself & a bunch of retired Public employees wanting to supplement their income. When test time came I rarely missed a question while these people were scoring in the 70-85 range. What do they call someone who graduated last in their class at medical school "Doctor" & it would be no different in the CFP world. So that's what you could possibly get. I know that I offered to teach a couple of my dog friends how to invest, they felt it too hard so placed their money with a CFP who proceeded to lose 80% of the principal, so they don't play dogs no more .

Investing is not that hard & it's personally rewarding as is training your own dog. Reading, Numbers & a little common sense go a long way. The really neat thing is you never stop learning as the circumstances of the world change regularly & you need to be aware to take advantage of that!

There are tried & true axioms that never change:

1) Where are the customers yachts, hopefully the MOTR'er will get to ride on his broker's someday .

2) Buy when the herd wants to sell, sell when the herd wants to buy.

3) "It's different this time", when that talk reaches a certain level it will be proven wrong .

4) When the news stand boy is giving stock tips, you probably want to lighten up you portfolio.

those are just a few that ring true!!!!!!!!!!

So if folks want to talk about investing we can do that in a generic manner. You young guys better know how cause the government only knows how to run Ponzi schemes & they are not to dependable. We did it for a while on Guthrie's website & hopefully people picked up something.

Marvin S

Everyone's friend is No One's friend

Someday your life will flash before your eyes. It's your responsibility to make sure it's worth watching!

Quote Originally Posted by Marvin S View Post
    So if folks want to talk about investing we can do that in a generic manner.

Marvin, I would rather do the prep for a colonoscopy or have a root canal than give ANYONE advice on investing, LOL!

What you say about the last in class being called doctor is true about anything else. I remember it having a big impact on me watching teachers put details up on the board regarding the "adjustments" they made to test scores to fit the curve. It was an eye opener to see guys getting scores in the 60's getting adjusted up to an 85 and the guy getting a 94 getting adjusted up to a 95. The guy that got adjusted up to an 85 in my eyes was a failure, but he got his sheepskin and a decent GPA to boot.
    "For everyone to whom much is given, of him shall much be required." -- Luke 12:48

Raven - Moneybird's Black Magic Marker***
    (Esprit's Power Play x Trumarc's Lean Cuisine)
    Mick - Moneybird's Jumpin' Jack Flash***
    (Clubmead's Road Warrior x Oakdale Whitewater Devil Dog)
    Peerless - Moneybird's Sole Survivor
    (Two River's Lucky Willie x Moneybird's Black Magic Marker)

Just look at me, for example.
    Since you're an RTF buddy, I'll let you in on a sure-fire secret.....

God Bless PFC Jamie Harkness. The US Army's newest PFC, but still our neighbor's little girl!

Here is an investment tip;

Take the Bears minus 10 points on Sunday.
    It's such a shame that in the USA, defending Liberty has become such a heroic deed.

Thanks for the advice...I do need to become more active in my investing. I have a nice sum of money in a managed retirement plan with Vanguard (my employer just shifted everything from Fidelity on 1-1-11), but I let that do whatever it does. My money has grown pretty substantially, but I don't know if I could have done better some other way.

I'll get there eventually...I figure I have got to be way ahead of the game anyway, having any money set aside at my age. When the kids go to school and my wife gets a job, we'll really be in business then. Plus, I have my eyes on a job with state retirement after 20 years and I am only 25... That'll help if I can get this job (and it looks like I may have a decent shot).
    Last edited by ducknwork; 01-18-2011 at 06:47 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by ducknwork View Post
    I'll get there eventually...I figure I have got to be way ahead of the game anyway, having any money set aside at my age. When the kids go to school and my wife gets a job, we'll really be in business then. Plus, I have my eyes on a job with state retirement after 20 years and I am only 25... That'll help if I can get this job (and it looks like I may have a decent shot).
    Congratulations on being ahead of the game. I took my investors advice and started by sending in $25 a month when that's all I could afford. I'm amazed at what that has grown into.

If you get this gov't job with benefits, does that mean NO MORE bashing "big goobermint", "goobermint spending", "federal workers unions" "lazy gov't employees" ???

You know...you'll be workin' for da man!
    God Bless PFC Jamie Harkness. The US Army's newest PFC, but still our neighbor's little girl!

Quote Originally Posted by dnf777 View Post
    Congratulations on being ahead of the game. I took my investors advice and started by sending in $25 a month when that's all I could afford. I'm amazed at what that has grown into.

If you get this gov't job with benefits, does that mean NO MORE bashing "big goobermint", "goobermint spending", "federal workers unions" "lazy gov't employees" ???

You know...you'll be workin' for da man!

I can't help what everyone else posts, even if I do get that job. I don't remember ever typing any of those words. Must have me confused with someone else...Plus, in that job, I'll be contributing much to society (hopefully), so that gets me off the hook.

I can't help what everyone else posts, even if I do get that job. I don't remember ever typing any of those words. Must have me confused with someone else...Plus, in that job, I'll be contributing much to society (hopefully), so that gets me off the hook.
    Just some well-deserved ribbing. I wish you the best in your job hunt. I have often considered taking a VA part-time stint, to get a little extra retirement assurance myself. As it is now, my only retirement plan is how many mason jars I can bury. No pension, no SS (or at least that's what I'm counting on)

A federal pension is probably safe for now. Wouldn't say the same for many state and municipal funds, and SS will not be for those who actually worked and paid into it. (you're too rich, ya know?)

in that job, I'll be contributing much to society (hopefully), so that gets me off the hook.
    Pray tell what government job are you going to get where you will be "contributing much to society".
    That is becoming an endangered species in our bloated public sector.
    But good luck though, I'd just as soon a dog loving hunter be sucking on the govt teat as anyone else

Quote Originally Posted by mjh345 View Post
    Pray tell what government job are you going to get where you will be "contributing much to society".
    That is becoming an endangered species in our bloated public sector.
    But good luck though, I'd just as soon a dog loving hunter be sucking on the govt teat as anyone else
    Maybe a "Public Defender??"

RK
    Stan b & Elvis