The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 52

Thread: Note to Ducknwork

  1. #11
    Senior Member luvmylabs23139's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    North Carolina
    Posts
    3,818

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Buzz View Post
    Marvin, I would rather do the prep for a colonoscopy or have a root canal than give ANYONE advice on investing, LOL!

    What you say about the last in class being called doctor is true about anything else. I remember it having a big impact on me watching teachers put details up on the board regarding the "adjustments" they made to test scores to fit the curve. It was an eye opener to see guys getting scores in the 60's getting adjusted up to an 85 and the guy getting a 94 getting adjusted up to a 95. The guy that got adjusted up to an 85 in my eyes was a failure, but he got his sheepskin and a decent GPA to boot.
    Put this on record. I'm going to agree with Buzz. I had a prof tell the class on the first day her grading curve. She stated to the class that a D would be curved to a C+ and an A would be curved to an A- prior to any test.
    It was a summer class where most students were not majoring in the subject(accounting) but were required to take the class for a BBA.
    I will be the first to admit I called her her out and asked her to explain why a D became a C+ and an A became an A-. That was not well received by those that were happy they could meet the requirement because now the repeat D became an ok C+.
    I bitched because a normal A became an A- and that messed up my GPA while the normal D became a C+ and helped those peoples GPA.
    Hihope Hiland Heathen of Perth CD, RE, CGC, TDI

  2. #12
    Senior Member Franco's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    Lafayette, La.
    Posts
    10,931

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Franco View Post
    Here is an investment tip;

    Take the Bears minus 10 points on Sunday.
    How do you beat a 90% return in three and a half hours?


    Mircosoft stock in its heyday didn't even come close!
    Collecting more taxes than is absolutely necessary is legalized robbery. Calvin Coolidge



  3. #13
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Eastern NC
    Posts
    2,755

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by mjh345 View Post
    Pray tell what government job are you going to get where you will be "contributing much to society".
    That is becoming an endangered species in our bloated public sector.
    But good luck though, I'd just as soon a dog loving hunter be sucking on the govt teat as anyone else
    Instructor at our local community college. I consider teaching others something that they can use to work, feed their families, pay taxes, and further their lives very beneficial to society. I really enjoy helping others learn and this would be a dream job for me. (Actually, a dream job would involve hunting, dogs, boats, or fishing, but this is a realistic dream job)

    It's not going to happen in the near future though. The instructor that I am hoping to replace is retiring in 3 years...but they know about my interest level already and I have to do everything possible between now and then to better my chances of getting picked.

  4. #14
    Senior Member dnf777's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Western Pa
    Posts
    6,161

    Default

    Instructor at a CC is a gov't job?
    Where do you live, Commrade?
    God Bless PFC Jamie Harkness. The US Army's newest PFC, but still our neighbor's little girl!

  5. #15
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Pac NW
    Posts
    4,401

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Franco View Post
    Here is an investment tip;

    Take the Bears minus 10 points on Sunday.
    Quote Originally Posted by Franco View Post
    How do you beat a 90% return in three and a half hours?


    Mircosoft stock in its heyday didn't even come close!
    How did your Pats-Jets bet go???????????? This isn't the first investing thread where you've posted with your gloomy outlook, for the life of me I can not figure out why?????? But I guess if you're good enough at sports betting you can get a 17 minute feature on "60 Minutes". Where I come from you don't promote yourself like that, you try to help others who are willing. You can't eat fame, nor is it very good collateral at a bank .

    MSFT has been very good to those who got stock options, & I'm sure some of the very early investors, but it is no IBM. Nor will it ever be!!!!!!!!!!!! Never owned it, nor will I recommend it to anyone I am helping.

    As for your 90% return, enjoy, there were too many variables in that game to make it a good bet.
    __________________________

    Marvin S

    Everyone's friend is No One's friend

    Someday your life will flash before your eyes. It's your responsibility to make sure it's worth watching!

  6. #16
    Senior Member Franco's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    Lafayette, La.
    Posts
    10,931

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Marvin S View Post
    How did your Pats-Jets bet go???????????? This isn't the first investing thread where you've posted with your gloomy outlook, for the life of me I can not figure out why?????? But I guess if you're good enough at sports betting you can get a 17 minute feature on "60 Minutes". Where I come from you don't promote yourself like that, you try to help others who are willing. You can't eat fame, nor is it very good collateral at a bank .

    MSFT has been very good to those who got stock options, & I'm sure some of the very early investors, but it is no IBM. Nor will it ever be!!!!!!!!!!!! Never owned it, nor will I recommend it to anyone I am helping.

    As for your 90% return, enjoy, there were too many variables in that game to make it a good bet.
    Pats v Jets not as good as my two winners on Saturday that are documented on the NFL Picks thread! 75% this past weekend and 66% the weekend before all on the NFL thread. Be grateful, I toutted the Giants in the SB in 07.

    The stock market is a bigger crap shoot because value is manipulated by the big investors that regulary take most of the smaller investors money. I wouldn't trust the stock market any further than I could toss a piano. It s run and controlled by crooks! They take money from suckers everyday.

    Besides, I only gamble with what I consider to be play money. My real cash goes into real estate like I've said on here before. I've never, ever lost money in real estate from raw land to brick and mortar. Can you say that about the stock market?

    And, the Bears pick was a lock, that's why I posted it here.
    Last edited by Franco; 01-18-2011 at 02:36 PM.
    Collecting more taxes than is absolutely necessary is legalized robbery. Calvin Coolidge



  7. #17
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Eastern NC
    Posts
    2,755

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by dnf777 View Post
    Instructor at a CC is a gov't job?
    Where do you live, Commrade?
    Community Colleges are state run in NC. Are they not in PA?

  8. #18
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Pac NW
    Posts
    4,401

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Franco View Post
    The stock market is a bigger crap shoot because value is manipulated by the big investors that regulary take most of the smaller investors money. I wouldn't trust the stock market any further than I could toss a piano. It s run and controlled by crooks! They take money from suckers everyday.

    Besides, I only gamble with what I consider to be play money. My real cash goes into real estate like I've said on here before. I've never, ever lost money in real estate from raw land to brick and mortar. Can you say that about the stock market?

    And, the Bears pick was a lock, that's why I posted it here.
    Actually, Franco, the SM is less of a gamble than dealing with any government entity. Your RE ventures are subject to government manipulation, were it me I would be very nervous about that. The folks running the government make the SM guys look like AM's when it comes to bilking. But it being a free country, you may believe as you like, but I have the documented results in our bank account & portfolio that says you are wrong.

    As for the Bears pick, it happened so you can say you were prescient, but no more so than any other contest, especially the 10 point spread. It always helps one's ego when things turn out the way they predict .
    __________________________

    Marvin S

    Everyone's friend is No One's friend

    Someday your life will flash before your eyes. It's your responsibility to make sure it's worth watching!

  9. #19
    Senior Member Gerry Clinchy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Pennsylvania
    Posts
    7,269

    Default

    Community Colleges are state run in NC. Are they not in PA?
    In PA the CCs are typically county-funded. Still govt-funded, but down a level from the state. Local school districts contribute to the funding to get "resident" tuition for students who live within that school district.

    This can be inconvenient. The closest CC to me is in another county That particular CC has an exceptional program for culinary arts.

    Hope you get the job ducknwork. Sounds like you'll be good at it.
    G.Clinchy@gmail.com
    "Know in your heart that all things are possible. We couldn't conceive of a miracle if none ever happened." -Libby Fudim

    ​I don't use the PM feature, so just email me direct at the address shown above.

  10. #20
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Eastern NC
    Posts
    2,755

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Gerry Clinchy View Post
    Hope you get the job ducknwork. Sounds like you'll be good at it.
    Thanks. I've got my fingers crossed and I am saying my prayers about it! It'll be a couple more years before it happens, but the wait will make it all that much better!

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •