The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: Note to Ducknwork

Quote Originally Posted by huntinman View Post
    I have a novel idea, how about lower corporate taxes, reduce regulations and in general get the hell out of the way of business? Then maybe the jobs would come back. We don't need more laws. We need Less gov't intervention. Boil away doc.
    Isn't that pretty much how we got to where we are now. They reduced regulations and got out of the way. As a result, the financial industry and housing market collapsed, and the jobs went to China & India. What we need are tax incentives for companies willing to manufacture in this country. And, we need Americans to step up and buy products manufactured in this country, even if they cost a little more.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by huntinman View Post
    I have a novel idea, how about lower corporate taxes, reduce regulations and in general get the hell out of the way of business? Then maybe the jobs would come back. We don't need more laws. We need Less gov't intervention. Boil away doc.
    How bout we just go back to what worked for over a hundred years. If you want to sell it in America, you make it in America. That is the current policy of China. And they are the ones steeling our jobs...

Quote Originally Posted by newlab View Post
    How bout we just go back to what worked for over a hundred years. If you want to sell it in America, you make it in America. That is the current policy of China. And they are the ones steeling our jobs...
    China isn't stealing our jobs Govt restrictions and rising labor and manufacturing restrictions have made it cost prohibitive to make many items here in the US..even many electronics that were once the domain of Made in Japan are now being assembled in China

here is a prime example : a SIX pack of G&H duck decoys made in Henryetta Oklahoma sell for roughly 130.00 + ( best decoys , I have owned)...

a DOZEN decoys from just about any other major distributor FA, GHG, or Avery is about the same price

Now who is going to sell more decoys ??
    All my Exes live in Texas

Quote Originally Posted by lanse brown View Post
    A few things that I learned still ring true. "Lanse when you get a gift, say thank you and walk away. When you get a screwing walk away. You are going to get a lot more screwings than gifts"

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by BonMallari View Post
    China isn't stealing our jobs Govt restrictions and rising labor and manufacturing restrictions have made it cost prohibitive to make many items here in the US..even many electronics that were once the domain of Made in Japan are now being assembled in China

here is a prime example : a SIX pack of G&H duck decoys made in Henryetta Oklahoma sell for roughly 130.00 + ( best decoys , I have owned)...

a DOZEN decoys from just about any other major distributor FA, GHG, or Avery is about the same price

And why is it cheaper to make products in China? In some industries it is simply labor costs. But in many industries, including anything to do with technology, it is also government subsidies. The Chinese have identified core industries that they are agressively subsidizing in order to capture future market share. China and most of the world "protects" its core industries. The US no longer protects any of its industrial base. The results speak for themselves. I would agree with you in one respect. The Chinese aren't stealing our jobs; we are giving them away.
    The answer to your question is tariffs. Tariffs are the way an advanced country like the US protects its industrial base. Tariffs worked in the US for over a hundred years. They currenntly work in China, along with most of the rest of the world. What we need in America, is Tariffs.
    Without tariffs the only solution is for American workers to give up all the rights that they earned over the last 3 generations. Now I don't know about you, but I'll be damned if I'm going to ask my kids give up a 40 hr week, child labor laws, and the majority of workers rights that my grandfathers generation fought for and achieved.

Rising labor costs is not the issue. Manufacturing labor wages in this country, with the exception of the UAW, has been almost stagnant for the last 20 years. There is also the cost of environmental regulations that keep manufacturers from spewing out toxic substances. Those types of regulations donít exist in China and Mexico.

Of course, U.S. consumers can demand U.S. made goods. They will cost more, but it will help keep people in jobs.

Quote Originally Posted by Blackstone View Post
    Rising labor costs is not the issue. Manufacturing labor wages in this country, with the exception of the UAW, has been almost stagnant for the last 20 years. There is also the cost of environmental regulations that keep manufacturers from spewing out toxic substances. Those types of regulations donít exist in China and Mexico.

Of course, U.S. consumers can demand U.S. made goods. They will cost more, but it will help keep people in jobs.

US consumers will buy the least expensive product they can, they might PREFER a US made good but in the end its the price that will usually motivate them

A few things that I learned still ring true. "Lanse when you get a gift, say thank you and walk away. When you get a screwing walk away. You are going to get a lot more screwings than gifts"

US consumers will buy the least expensive product they can, they might PREFER a US made good but in the end its the price that will usually motivate them
    Thatís the problem. We look short term on everything. We will buy goods at Walmart to save a few dollars. In order to supply those cheaper goods to Walmart, some U.S. manufacturer shut down their plant here and moved their operations to China. The workers terminated at the U.S. plant is now forced to take a service job for almost Ĺ the pay, if they can find a job at all. The displaced workers can no longer afford to buy the goods you produce, so your plant shuts down, or they move operation to China to reduce costs, so they can sell at lower prices. Now, youíre out of work and forced to take a lower paying job too. They cycle continues.

Not true.

I ordered a Filson catalog, and was willing to pay $140 for an American spun and assembled original Filson wool shirt. Not until it arrived, did I see the "Made in Mexico" tag. They have since changed their web site to say, "imported".

Even for those of us willing to pay extra for American made, it just can't be done. I was willing to do more and pay more than just flap gums about buying American, and you just can't do it anyomore.

Their catalogs now go in the garbage. I can buy a Mexican made shirt from LLbean or walmart for FAR less that $140!
    God Bless PFC Jamie Harkness. The US Army's newest PFC, but still our neighbor's little girl!

I am probably more brand loyal than most on here, but unfortunately I dont get to choose where the companies I like have their goods made...its also the reason I shoot Remington shotguns because they are made in the USA (disclaimer: I did shoot a Krieghoff -made in Germany )..but when Mizuno quit making my golf clubs in Japan and had them assembled in China, there wasnt a darn thing I could do about it, because I still thought they were the best clubs made..

Do I like USA made goods..damn right I do...I prefer Rawlings BB gloves, and I prefer Calif wines over foreign imports..and I drive a Chevy truck..but my next one may be a Toyota ...if a product is good and fits my current budget I will buy it..there are very few products I will not buy based on where they are made or who owns them (except gasoline)

I am probably more brand loyal than most on here, but unfortunately I dont get to choose where the companies I like have their goods made...its also the reason I shoot Remington shotguns because they are made in the USA (disclaimer: I did shoot a Krieghoff -made in Germany )..but when Mizuno quit making my golf clubs in Japan and had them assembled in China, there wasnt a darn thing I could do about it, because I still thought they were the best clubs made..

Do I like USA made goods..damn right I do...I prefer Rawlings BB gloves, and I prefer Calif wines over foreign imports..and I drive a Chevy truck..but my next one may be a Toyota ...if a product is good and fits my current budget I will buy it..there are very few products I will not buy based on where they are made or who owns them (except gasoline)

You point out an unfortunate reality. I just upgraded to a Chevy 2500HD, but seriously considered a Toyota. The final considerations were 1) Chevy/GMC still make a damn good truck, and 2) my plow harness fit the new chevy, so didn't have to buy a new one.

Might be a good thread to start, on what GOOD quality American products are still available, that RTFers use.

I hear they still make some great maple syrup in Vermont?
    God Bless PFC Jamie Harkness. The US Army's newest PFC, but still our neighbor's little girl!