The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Rare, multi-colored labs???

Question Rare, multi-colored labs???

Okay so I was searching ads and I came across this listing:

Rare, unique registered 6 month old multi colored male lab. Both parents are registered, Dam is 50 pounds, Sire is 80 pounds. Both parents on site, puppies are being raised in our home handled by our kids daily. Puppy is UTC on all puppy shots and monthly deworming. We accept credit cards and checks thru paypal only, but remember to add 3.5% for their fees. Please call/email for other payment options. Shipping not included in price of puppy. These puppies are pure breed labs, there are many other reputable breeders which have had multi colored labs. Here is some research info; http://www.littlecreekacres.com/mismarks.html I donít want to hear from other breeders giving their ignorant opinions about multi colored labs! Sold as Pets only without breeding rights.

My question is, can this be turned into AKC? I am not posting this to start anything, but I am concerned that there are people out there that will actually fall for this. I understand about mismarks and such, but to advertise them this way and also, personally, I do not see 100% lab in either pups face. So possibly the neighbors dog had a visit??
    Laura

~Retriever families are like fudge, mostly sweet, with a few nuts!~

IT IS POSSIBLE that this is a pure bred Labrador. He has A LOT of color but it is possible.
    MY first show bitch produced splashed pups in all three litters with three different sires. Some of the pups had tan marking over the eyes , on cheeks, on the chest and on the butt.
    Do more research on splashed and mismarked Labradors. Woodhaven Labradors, now Kelrobin has a great list of articles. I don't have the link handy.......

HOPEFULLY they are not jacking the price up becuase it is "rare"!!!! But it is not illegal to MARKET pups any way you want.
    I sold mine as pets , with a discount or gave away.
    Last edited by Bridget Bodine; 01-16-2011 at 06:51 AM.

Could be legit. Buyer beware that it's on the "up and up" and a sheppard didn't get "in here" during the cycle!
    Misty Marsh Gun Dog Supplies is your source for Elsema remote release electronics, Dogtra, Sport Dog, Tri-Tronics, Armadillo foam, Dokken, Gunners Up wingers, Retriever Specalists, Alfa, Smartworks, and more. www.mistymarsh.com

The dog is "tan point" same as found in Doberman's and some hounds. It is not registerable as black (if properly represented) so not registerable by AKC.
    On page #299 of The Official Book of the Labrador Retriever published by the Labrador Retriever Club Inc. is a picture of a tan point pup. The caption reads"A tan-point Labrador Retriever phenotype, homozygous recessive for the tan pint gene. There is also a picture of a tan point chocolate pup.
    Field Trials are competitions....not everyone gets a "participation ribbon" and they do "keep score"

Music for walking to the line
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_xr6KfJOFqk

Completely possible, and you can figure out the genetics from this.

Also this is what the breed standard has to say about it.

"Color
    The Labrador Retriever coat colors are black, yellow and chocolate. Any other color or a combination of colors is a disqualification. A small white spot on the chest is permissible, but not desirable. White hairs from aging or scarring are not to be misinterpreted as brindling. Black--Blacks are all black. A black with brindle markings or a black with tan markings is a disqualification. Yellow--Yellows may range in color from fox-red to light cream, with variations in shading on the ears, back, and underparts of the dog. Chocolate--Chocolates can vary in shade from light to dark chocolate. Chocolate with brindle or tan markings is a disqualification."
    "there is a principle which is a bar against all information, which is proof against all arguments and which cannot fail to keep a man in everlasting ignorance --- that principle is contempt prior to investigation."
    Herbert Spencer

Quote Originally Posted by David McLendon View Post
    The dog is "tan point" same as found in Doberman's and some hounds. It is not registerable as black (if properly represented) so not registerable by AKC.

What? It's just disqualified from the conformation ring as not conforming to the standard. And, I personally wouldn't breed it. AKC registration is to show that it's a pure bred dog.
    Susan

FC Tribute to Justice, JH "Honor"
    FC AFC Contempt of Court "Ruckus"
    Medal Of Honor, QAA "Valor"
    HRCH Kirby's High Sierra, SH, QAA "Kirby"
    HRCH Niki Snowbird, SH, QAA "Niki"
    Southland Order In the Court, QAA "Gavel" July 17, 2002- March 24, 2013
    Southland Rusty Nail - derby points, qual placements "Rusty"
    www.justiceretrievers.com

Anyone else see the dog leg behind the black dog? Looks like another pup with the same markings laying down in the background. Does not look like a purebred litter to me. It would appear to be a litter of mutts that happened to have one black pup so they are trying to trick people into thinking they are labs.

Quote Originally Posted by Labrador_Lover View Post
    Okay so I was searching ads and I came across this listing:

Rare, unique registered 6 month old multi colored male lab. Both parents are registered, Dam is 50 pounds, Sire is 80 pounds. Both parents on site, puppies are being raised in our home handled by our kids daily. Puppy is UTC on all puppy shots and monthly deworming. We accept credit cards and checks thru paypal only, but remember to add 3.5% for their fees. Please call/email for other payment options. Shipping not included in price of puppy. These puppies are pure breed labs, there are many other reputable breeders which have had multi colored labs. Here is some research info; http://www.littlecreekacres.com/mismarks.html I donít want to hear from other breeders giving their ignorant opinions about multi colored labs! Sold as Pets only without breeding rights.

My question is, can this be turned into AKC? I am not posting this to start anything, but I am concerned that there are people out there that will actually fall for this. I understand about mismarks and such, but to advertise them this way and also, personally, I do not see 100% lab in either pups face. So possibly the neighbors dog had a visit??
    Exactly what do you see wrong with this?
    What are you going to say in your complaint to the AKC? Do you have personal knowledge that there are any lies or false statements in their ad? Did you witness the breeding?
    Do you even know if they are AKC registered? There are other registries you know.
    They advertise the pup as being "rare and unique"; surely you don't disagree with that do you?
    They say both parents are registered and on site and give their respective weights; do you know that to be incorrect?
    They claim pups are being raised in their home and socialized by their kids daily. That is a good thing to me, do you know that to be false?
    They claim pups are current on their shots, and wormings. Once again I view that as a responsible breeding practice. Do you know it to be false?

Lastly, they are selling the pup without breeding rights on a limited registration, which I believe is the responsible thing to do with mismarked pups. What would you recomend they do with the pup, destroy it?

The only thing I see wrong with the ad is it tlists no health clearances on the parents. That doesn't preclude them from having them, additionally I'd guess that over 90% of breeding don't have clearances

I'm all for the breeding police, but you must remember that not all breeding are meant to be able to play our dog games and pursue FT, HT, CH, agility hunting etc capable breedings.

I will go as far as to say that the photo almost looks photo shopped to put the black dog in the pic -- or that the tan marked pup has 5 legs.
    Look at the size difference. Black dogs butt is level with the top of the tan dogs head.
    Last edited by tom; 01-16-2011 at 10:22 AM.
    "there is a principle which is a bar against all information, which is proof against all arguments and which cannot fail to keep a man in everlasting ignorance --- that principle is contempt prior to investigation."
    Herbert Spencer

A simple DNA test of sire, dam, and pups would resolve any potential conflict. Were I the breeder, I'd have it done.
    Sharon Potter

www.redbranchkennels.net

Chesapeake Bay Retrievers...too many to list.

Team Huntsmith